Hello Everyone

Need some advice please.

I finally decided to update my BBM version because my phone needed a reboot and I only do updates when it needs a reboot.
    On a previous BB I had MASSIVE problems doing updates and many OS re installs later I am now a nervous updater.

Anyway I have a Bold 9900 with OS version 7.1 Bundle 1149 (yes I know its old, see comments above).
    The BBM update version icon was on my Homescreen (and has been for months) I am currently running BBM version 6.2.0.56.
    I went through the homescreen icon which took me to the BBM update screen but it did not offer the update option only reinstall.

BBM is currently working as normal and IS installed. Confused I went back out and entered App World to see if that said the same, yes, it does, "re install" is the only option. Again as I mentioned I am a nervous updater (this happens when you have spent hours looking at your phone wondering if it will ever work again ). So I opted to not select re install.
    BBM does not show in the App World list of installed programs only in the uninstalled section.

So thinking it might have done some auto uninstall before wanting to install the new version of BBM I did another app update (Linked In) just to take advantage of the re boot that I thought might un confuse my phone and sort out the BBM issue.

Linked In updated fine and reboot was ok. BBM is still installed and works but it is the same older version and as before the only option in App World is to re install it which I don't really want to do in case it causes more problems.
    How would you suggest I update to the newer version of BBM ? (through desktop software maybe ?)

Second question, is it worth me updating the OS to a newer version, I know Bundle 2807 is available and probably others ?
    I can't seem to find what changes are in 2807 and subsequent releases but they would have to be good for me to risk it.
    What are the changes ?

Third question, available storage space for my apps is a maximum of like 65Mb (based on what I have installed) which gradually decreases as I use the phone until another re boot. I have un installed apps I don't use and deleted them to save as much MB as possible.
    Considering it shows the total storage on phone as 6GB and free space as 5.7GB why the hell is there only a tiny amount available for Apps ?
    Just seems ridiculous and the main reason why I need reboots when the usual BB navigation slowing down thing happens.
    Do any of the OS updates change this partition to allow a bigger portion for Apps ? If they do then I will be tempted to try them.

I have a 16Gb memory card that I store all pictures on by the way, which is why it shows 5.7GB as free.

Hopefully some of you can offer some advice re the three main points.

Thanks

EDIT- I have just looked at the Application options when connected to Desktop Software and there doesn't seem to be an option to update BBM.
    I can see now that OS and App Storage is limited to 512MB and the 6GB refers to media storage but again, do any of the OS updates change this partition ? Guessing not.
    Is it worth me deleting some of the stuff I don't need ie various languages I don't need to be on there to save some space ?
    I toyed with the idea of trying that but it adds it to the list at the bottom of "pending actions" which also has an OS downgrade in there so there is no way I am trying to remove languages if it is going to do that as well. I assume there is a way to remove this OS downgrade from the list before you ask it to make the changes ?
    Last edited by Angloberry; 03-13-14 at 08:14 AM. Reason: more info
    03-13-14 07:58 AM
    My Recommendations for keeping your 9900 in tip-top condition:
    1. Regularly Backup - it is silly not to
    2. Do OS and App upgrades as they come in
    3. After each OS and/or set of App upgrades do a ReBoot
    4. After each Reboot do a Battery Pull

Hope this helps

PS I always deleted the stuff I didn't need, like foreign languages I was unlikely to receive an email in
    Tech Idiot likes this.
    03-13-14 08:19 AM
    Thanks Al

Yes I do fairly regular back ups, probably every 2-3 weeks.
    I am always hesitant to do any updates when they immediately come out until the inevitable bugs have been worked out. I have seen far too many "just done latest phone update help me!" issues reported .
    Yes, I always select the reboot now option after an App update.
    What does the battery pull after a reboot do that the reboot didn't ? I never do this, I am always just relieved my phone has actually rebooted successfully to invite further pain. Does it clear the cache or something ?

None of that answers my BBM question though about trying to update, why do I only get the re install option when it is already installed ?

Looks like the programs that are listed in "Uninstalled" section of Blackberry World are older versions of the same App ? I have tested deleting a couple like BBC News and Poynt and they still seems to work. BBM is also in this list of Uninstalled and does not appear in my list of Installed (although as I said it is INSTALLED and working) in fact lots of my Apps are not listed in the Installed section that ARE and are working. ?????? Not sure what to do ?

Lord Its a shame BB suck at the implementation of software updates
    03-13-14 08:34 AM
    Thanks Al

What does the battery pull after a reboot do that the reboot didn't ? I never do this, I am always just relieved my phone has actually rebooted successfully to invite further pain. Does it clear the cache or something ?
    Not sure what the Battery Pull actually does - but in my experience it 'sorts out the phone' and things are a lot less buggy after doing this

I strongly suggest:
    Battery Pull
    Re-test your BBM
    If BBM still playing up:
    - Delete and Re-install BBM (via your Desktop Software)
    - and do the whole Re-Boot and Battery Pull sequence again

Note: I'm not a techie or guru (there are lots on this site who are) but my recommendations are the steps that have worked for me in the past

Good Luck!
    03-13-14 09:25 AM
    Thanks Al

Just to be clear BBM is currently working fine it's just listed as uninstalled in Blackberry World (along with a load of other apps that ARE installed) and when I try to update the only option is "re install" not "update".

Could do with some more input people please and on my other points too

Thanks
    03-13-14 02:40 PM
    Thanks Al

Just to be clear BBM is currently working fine it's just listed as uninstalled in Blackberry World (along with a load of other apps that ARE installed) and when I try to update the only option is "re install" not "update".

Could do with some more input people please and on my other points too

Thanks
    Hi Anglo, have you tried the Re-Boot and Battery Pull cycle (might need to do a couple of times)? It really is a panacea for many ills.

Also, check that your Desktop Software is up to date..... (silly I know, but mine didn't always auto-update)

Fingers crossed,

A
    03-14-14 08:36 AM