there is no 3g where i currently am until i go back to new york.
    may i ask how did you switched to 2g. is there an option in the options folder?

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/how...anding-207789/
    06-13-09 11:48 AM
    I'm still on 3g now, but on my curve calls always took priority over the net. Never had a problem missing a call.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-13-09 12:44 PM
    Any comments on that ?
    Unless receiving calls is not important for you ..
    06-13-09 12:50 PM
    just an update,voice calls and data still working and i havent charged it for 2 days,although i am down to one bar
    06-13-09 01:14 PM
    Impressive Charlie100 might just try it out one of this weekends.
    06-13-09 01:43 PM
    3g technology is nice for speed but sucks for battery life i have the G1 and must say worst battery life ever thats why im back to bb with the 8900
    06-13-09 06:59 PM
    I tried out using 2G only on my Bold too, and finally the battery life was as it should be. With 3G my battery never makes it through the day, on 2G I went 2 days straight before the battery died.

I did receive a new battery from at&t yesterday so now I can just carry the spare battery to get through the day.

I do still have one major gripe with 3G on my Bold, with 3G turned on, a good number of calls never even make it to the phone, they just go straight to voicemail. People tell me they either hear a long silence, or a sound similar to a brief fax tone, then they're connected to my voicemail, with no ringing sound at all.

While I've been on 2G this hasn't happened and people are asking me if I "finally got rid of the Bold" since all calls come through fine while I'm on 2G. lol

I've gone back and forth with at&t about this and so far the only conclusion I can draw is that it has something to do with the Bold's 3G simultaneous voice & data capability that is preventing calls coming in while I am actively using data. A little ironic I think.
    Last edited by Fiasco; 06-13-09 at 07:12 PM.
    06-13-09 07:07 PM
    Why did people create 3G if it would kill your battery life faster :/ Life sucks.
    06-13-09 11:22 PM
    People like the speed of 3g,but in reality,well in the uk at least there doesn't seem to be that much of a noticable difference between the speeds.I mean what applications or browsing do people do that you need desperatly 3g.As I said EDGE is fine,it does just what its supposed to do.I think I'll keep it on 2g,shame because I had a curve and the only reason I got a bold(besides the key pad)was for the 3g,never mind......

06-14-09 03:44 AM
    Im On the sprint network and i have the curve 8330

im not even sureif i can turn the 3g off on mine concluding to the fact sprint is bringing 4g to the area where i live

and if i turned the 3g off would i have broadband speeds on my laptop because i use phone as modem
    06-14-09 04:17 AM
    I use mine exclusively on 2g. My hpone has been on since 10 am yesterday and I still have 80 percent left. I only turn 3g on in areas I don't get good 2g reception, because 3G has better penetration through walls.

06-14-09 09:29 AM
    If I'm not doing anything data intensive. My phone is on 2G and forced to AMR-FR.
    06-14-09 12:13 PM
    Note to self. Google AMR-FR
    Lol

06-14-09 12:39 PM
    Just quick update,thought i would give that little no. 3 another go in the top right corner of my screen today.Well i got all the way to 13.20 ish and i was down to 50%............Guess what i'm going to do once i've given a full charge
    06-14-09 12:59 PM
    Another thing that will save o that battery juice is the gps. If you ait using it like i do, turn it off. You will notice a longer usage of your phone.
    06-14-09 01:52 PM
    charlie100, you're misinformed. In city areas there is a big real speed difference between 2g and 3g, it's just hard to quantify unless you have 2 phones sat next to each other.

The reason the theoretical speed of 3g(ie 7.2mbps or 3.6mbps) and the actual page loading speed is different is due to a couple of factors;
    first of all you have multi-path dispersion issues, which is only apparent on 3g particularly due to the wavelengths used and the data speed.

Secondly, and in part taken from the first issue, you have the latency between you and the 3g mast. I work for a phone operator, and we have a 3g mast in our shop. The data rate when stood about 10m from the mast is peak, and any closer and it slows down considerably (in part due to "shadowing", another issue due to the wavelengths used)

Opinions are always welcomed in any discussion, but please try to be at least vaguely scientific in your reasonings!
    06-14-09 02:45 PM
    How do you enable AMR-FR? I did the disable 3G without debranding, I just cant find out how to enable FR. Any help?
    06-14-09 03:07 PM
    I just turn on 3G back on todaY because i like to receive email and pin's when i am on the phone

But i always have a chager with me and charge it when i can. But i love 3G to bad it will drain the battery fast.

06-14-09 03:13 PM
    charlie100, you're misinformed. In city areas there is a big real speed difference between 2g and 3g, it's just hard to quantify unless you have 2 phones sat next to each other.

The reason the theoretical speed of 3g(ie 7.2mbps or 3.6mbps) and the actual page loading speed is different is due to a couple of factors;
    first of all you have multi-path dispersion issues, which is only apparent on 3g particularly due to the wavelengths used and the data speed.

Secondly, and in part taken from the first issue, you have the latency between you and the 3g mast. I work for a phone operator, and we have a 3g mast in our shop. The data rate when stood about 10m from the mast is peak, and any closer and it slows down considerably (in part due to "shadowing", another issue due to the wavelengths used)

Opinions are always welcomed in any discussion, but please try to be at least vaguely scientific in your reasonings!
    Wow ....my head hurts....lol...Way to scientific for me,I click on a page and it opens pretty quick using 2g.and that's good enough for me

Last edited by charlie100; 06-14-09 at 04:18 PM.
    06-14-09 04:16 PM
    Been almost exclusively on 2G for the last seven months and never had a problem receiving voice calls.
    Turn on 3G when browsing or instant messanging for a long period.
    06-14-09 07:26 PM
    Turned off 3G on friday, and my battery life has short through the roof, its almost like those really old nokia phones that would last forever and a day on a single charge....yay
    06-14-09 07:28 PM
    I haven't charged my BB all weekend as I was camping and had 2 concerts. Full 3G coverage and about 30-40 emails sent and received, web browsing, over 200 SMS sent and received and a few 5 minute phone calls and my Bold is currently sitting at 15% battery life. EDGE doesn't cut it for me anymore. My Bold has always seemed to have good battery life even when AT&T's 3G network was always switching back and forth between EDGE/3G in my area. When my friends use there Curves to to search for something I almost grow impatient waiting for their browsers to load. I pull out my Bold and it's real quick. I will never go back to an EDGE only device.

Plus simultaneous voice and data = awesome.
    06-14-09 08:39 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD