so i was getting a bit fed up with the (yes you guessed it)battery life.15 to 20 emails sent and recieved in a day,a bit of map searching,a few sms,brick breaker,9-12 calls and general playing, by midday i was at 50% and reaching for the charger.I read a few threads but didnt really get the answer so i thought i would test myself.I charged the night before and switched to 2g only,i figured i would do without 3g for testing purposes.The following day i had a similar data/voice/gaming day and to my amazment by the same time my battery was at 90%.Now I know some say it doesnt make a difference but ive been running it like this for a few days and my usage is quite constant.I dont even miss 3g as the browser etc is fast enough and youtube etc dont normally play unless im on wifi anyway.My signal is pretty much always on EDGE or GPRS so i may aswell stay as i am .Anyone else tried ?
    06-12-09 02:33 PM
    I did.And now i can stay on for like 3 day in a row with no problem.
    And no I don't (really) miss the 3G.
    It's been 2 weeks with that 2G love lol.
    06-12-09 02:56 PM
    No simultaneous voice/data = fail for me.

I don't want calls going to voicemail because my signal can only do one or the other. I prefer the speed and flexibility.

Glad you are enjoying the switch though!
    06-12-09 02:58 PM
    Same here! I like 3g because it allows data and voice at the same time. Weird but I haven't really had problems with my battery. I charge it before work or at night and it lasts me until my day is over. Sometimes it lasts longer. I sms heavily, email a lot, I'm a lot and make a few calls. Or maybe I jusy donkt expect a battery to last longer than it should.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-12-09 03:23 PM
    3G coverage (or lack of I should say) does impact a lot of individual's viewpoint. Its great when in a good coverage area. Sort of blows and loses out to 2.5G/EDGE otherwise.
    06-12-09 03:30 PM
    I don't seem to have a voicecall going to voice mail problem if I have a low signal,I use call waiting and I either take the call or togle between them both.And as for speed ,EGDE dosent seem that much slower than 3g. Blacklighter 11 what os are you running ,where you don't have batter power problems

06-12-09 03:31 PM
    If you are in a weak 3G area, you'll really see this. I get about 1.5 days of moderate usage, but I'm in a very strong 3G area.
    06-12-09 03:33 PM
    Unbranding your phone is the single best thing you can do to it. Changing the bezel/colors of a TELEPHONE are just dumb.

06-12-09 03:37 PM
    I don't seem to have a voicecall going to voice mail problem if I have a low signal,I use call waiting and I either take the call or togle between them both.And as for speed ,EGDE dosent seem that much slower than 3g. Blacklighter 11 what os are you running ,where you don't have batter power problems

EDGE does not support simultaneous voice/data (for the 100th time). Regardless of whether or not you think it does, it doesn't. You don't know when calls go to v-mail unless someone leaves a v-mail. There is no toggling between the two.

(Sorry, I noticed you are not on AT&T, which absolutely does not support it. Its possible that O2 does support simul voice/data, but I don't believe they do. Both device and network have to support it.)
    Last edited by baseballkyle; 06-12-09 at 03:46 PM.
    06-12-09 03:38 PM
    Im running OS .266 with 3g on and i get 2 days out of my battery. Multible daily e-mails and phone usage with some general usage. As long as you can make it though the day and charge it at night why would you turn the 3g off? You could have bought a cheaper BB without 3g and saved yourself some money. Kinda like buying a Corvette and putting a 4 cyclinder in it.
    06-12-09 03:43 PM
    O2 in the uk has call waiting and I can changa between the the calls as I choose

06-12-09 03:48 PM
    Unbranding your phone is the single best thing you can do to it. Changing the bezel/colors of a TELEPHONE are just dumb.

Eskimochaos,How did you unbrand your phone without screwing it up,I've read that it can go really wrong

06-12-09 03:51 PM
    Every other smartphone I've had (which admittedly has been on Verizon and Sprint) will drop the data to switch to any incoming call. No, it won't be simultaneous data and voice use, but I bet it's a case of the voice call will interrupt the data rather than vice versa (or call going straight to VM). I could be wrong, though, but I would have thought we would have heard that as a MAJOR issue on Curve models. Haven't really heard that criticism yet.
    06-12-09 04:00 PM
    EDGE does not support simultaneous voice/data (for the 100th time). Regardless of whether or not you think it does, it doesn't. You don't know when calls go to v-mail unless someone leaves a v-mail. There is no toggling between the two.

(Sorry, I noticed you are not on AT&T, which absolutely does not support it. Its possible that O2 does support simul voice/data, but I don't believe they do. Both device and network have to support it.)
    you're 100% correct. no matter where you are in the world 3G (3rd Generation) has to meet certain requirements to be called 3G by the ITU. the one of the greatest selling points of 3G is simultanious voice & data.

charlie100. try phoning someone on speakerphone and browse while talking to them. let us know if you have any success
    06-12-09 04:01 PM
    O2 in the uk has call waiting and I can changa between the the calls as I choose

we are NOT talking about call waiting. we are talking about receiving a call while actively using data OR using data while on a call.
    06-12-09 04:13 PM
    As far as battery life is concerned does anyone know if using 2G/3G or just 3G yields better battery life, keeping in mind I live in Toronto which seems to have excellent 3G coverage?

06-12-09 04:15 PM
    As far as battery life is concerned does anyone know if using 2G/3G or just 3G yields better battery life, keeping in mind I live in Toronto which seems to have excellent 3G coverage?

2G/3G yields worse life than 3G only in a strong 3G area. Otherwise it can be worse. 2G in a strong 2G/EDGE area will always trump in battery life.
    06-12-09 04:53 PM
    Setting your phone in 2g will give you the best battery life even if you have a 3g tower bedroom.

06-12-09 10:14 PM

How is it dumb? Some people prefer to decorate their phone than just keep it normal.

06-12-09 10:37 PM

You are correct. That is why I use" Youmail". It will send you a text when you miss a call and/or get a voicemail. Works really well.
    06-12-09 10:47 PM
    there is no 3g where i currently am until i go back to new york.
    may i ask how did you switched to 2g. is there an option in the options folder?
    06-13-09 03:11 AM
    For all those doubters, I ask some one to call me on there mobile,and while that was taking place I was quite happily surfing the world wide web "WHILE I WAS ON THE CALL",I don't know ,maybe my phones broken.

06-13-09 03:19 AM

3G is better for battery life in an excellent 3G area than 2G/3G.

My feeling on the topic of this thread is that there are ways to get all the way through a day without having to charge. Charging overnight is a cinch. So why not use the 3G? It's one of the great features of the device.
    06-13-09 08:45 AM
    I've been on EDGE only for 1 month. I love the doubled battery life and being able to have telephone convo's without dropping.
    3G is just not ready in the huge city of Philly so I don't miss it at all.

As far as simultaneous call/data, if I'm using data and I get an incoming call, I am able to answer, it does not go to VM. Even when I had my Curve, this was a non issue.
    06-13-09 09:18 AM
    Works for me all the time. Blackberry 8900. Tmobile. New England(no 3G yet) but there's wi-fi everywhere(makes 3G obsolete) bingbong!
    you're 100% correct. no matter where you are in the world 3G (3rd Generation) has to meet certain requirements to be called 3G by the ITU. the one of the greatest selling points of 3G is simultanious voice & data.

charlie100. try phoning someone on speakerphone and browse while talking to them. let us know if you have any success
    06-13-09 11:45 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD