I read that complaint on this forums thread..

blackberryforums.com/general-9000-series-discussion-bold/156015-att-no-option-edge-only-like-rogers.html

Someone here - KutiKayla perhaps can shed some light on this?
    10-25-08 11:05 AM
    Hey so I was playing around with my bold I somehow turned it off, I don't know and I don't know how I got it back on 3g. I had a mini panic attack when I couldn't figure it out for a sec. But obviously it is possible. I'll tell you what I did.

I went to MANAGE CONNECTIONS, SERVICES STATUS
    In there I was playing around with the Mobile Network option, It had a drop down menu but I didn't see a EDGE option, though when I hit the back button it went to EDGE. And when I went back in there and did the same thing it went to 3g. I have no idea how it happened. I can't seem to get it to happen again. But it is possible!

Sorry I'm not much help. I really don't know how to do it. But I like having 3g on
    10-25-08 01:15 PM
    it seems that the ATT branded Bolds are not able to turn off 3G manually. I haven't seen otherwise. Hope this isn't true, but even 3G mode in EDGE area doesn't drain the battery. Its not the same as your phone searching for a signal in a dead zone.
    10-25-08 02:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD