first time posting, I am in Australian with a Canadian blackberry (rogers, was using it on Fido) but now that I am using a vodaphone sim card none of my data services like email or my apps are working, even though I do have data on my phone plan. I am assuming that I need to download another operating system or update to my existing one?

Thanks
    06-28-11 09:16 AM
    Does your current data plan (on the SIM that is currently in the device) cover you in the country in which you are currently located?

Does that SIM card have BLACKBERRY Data on it?

It doesn't have anything to do with the operating system. It has to do with the carrier services.
    06-28-11 12:17 PM
    first time posting, I am in Australian with a Canadian blackberry (rogers, was using it on Fido) but now that I am using a vodaphone sim card none of my data services like email or my apps are working, even though I do have data on my phone plan. I am assuming that I need to download another operating system or update to my existing one?

Thanks
    Like Mama said, the data plan is tied to the carrier, not the phone's Operating System.

I assume that you can make and receive phone calls and SMS text messages. If not then you need to check if the phone has been unlocked so as to accept a different carrier's SIM card.

If the phone is unlocked you should first make sure that the phone's Data Services are switched on. Go to Options, Manage Connections and make sure Data is switched on.

No try resending your Service Books by going to Options, Advanced Options, Host Routing Table, pressing Menu and select Register Now.

This will force the carrier to resend you a new set of Service Books.

It turns out that Vodafone Australia used 2100Mhz as its 3G band Hutchison 3G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Rogers Rogers Wireless - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia does not seem to use this frequency unless you have a world phone. If you do not, this will limit you to using 2G (EdGE, GPRS, GSM) which has far slower data rates.

If the simple fixes I suggest above do not work, I suggest that you visit Vodafone and ask them to help you.
    06-28-11 12:35 PM
    Thanks for the info, the data servies were on, and i updated the host routing table. I will find out if its an issue of my phone being locked.
    06-29-11 10:09 AM
    Thanks for the info, the data servies were on, and i updated the host routing table. I will find out if its an issue of my phone being locked.
    If your phone is locked they you won;t be able to make or receive phone calls.

You can check this by going to Options, Advanced Options, SIM Card. Look at the top of the screen and if you see SIM Card: Security Disabled then the phone is unlocked.

If it is locked, have a look at the Unlocking section here on Crackberry for good unlocking deals.
    06-29-11 11:39 AM
    Just a thought. You have registered your phone on the Vidafone Australia BIS site haven't you?

This is essential to making it work. The site is found here BlackBerry Internet Service

You can find the IMEI and PIN by typing <Alt><LeftShift><H> from the Home screen on your phone.
    06-30-11 03:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD