I'm going to Italy July 12th - September 1st. I live in America. I don't want to let go of my blackberry, and my parents do NOT want to pay a lot of money for a bill. So, I just need advice here.

My phone is able to go global. I have verizon. It has a vodafone sim card already. I heard that you have to go to a store in italy and get a sim card from there. But my mom wants me to do either pay as you go -- and she doesn't want a contract, etc. I have no idea what I should do... I mean, what happens when I get a sim card? do I get an italian number, everything? do my parents pay my bill from verizon or do they get a bill from where i get the sim card in italy? this is so confusing, and i definitely don't want to get a different phone there, so can someone help me out? thanks.

also, what do i turn off so i don't get charged extra for anything. wifi, internet... etc.
    Last edited by xxonessaxxo; 07-08-11 at 08:50 PM.
    07-08-11 07:55 PM
    I'm going to Italy July 12th - September 1st. I live in America. I don't want to let go of my blackberry, and my parents do NOT want to pay a lot of money for a bill. So, I just need advice here.

My phone is able to go global. I have verizon. It has a vodafone sim card already. I heard that you have to go to a store in italy and get a sim card from there. But my mom wants me to do either pay as you go -- and she doesn't want a contract, etc. I have no idea what I should do... I mean, what happens when I get a sim card? do I get an italian number, everything? do my parents pay my bill from verizon or do they get a bill from where i get the sim card in italy? this is so confusing, and i definitely don't want to get a different phone there, so can someone help me out? thanks.
    Hello There and welcome to the forum.
    Please do not get confused and do not listen to people who doesn't know how to advice their self primarly.

1) If you would use your phone abroad with your actual carrier then you will be billed extra cost because you're roaming under other Carriers when you make outgoing calls or incoming calls because you're ROAMING.
    ANY of your family friends etc that call you from other U.S. number they get billed normally as usual.
    The only one that gets extra cost is the person abroad which is roaming in this case you

2) If you decide to get an Italian Sim Card which i suggets you to be Vodafone, then you can easily make Italian Phone calls but anyone that will call you from abroad will get charged for the international call.
    That can be bouth at any shopsd in Italy you will nneed your I.D:/passport and it will be activated straight away with a new number of course.

Considering that you are flying to Italy for a long while I would advise you to get an extra Italian sim card if your carrier doesn't give you a Voice/Data passport to avoid roaming.

Then you can simply ask your parents to call you to your italian sim or even better you can Install a really good app that I use while in Australia here Download Mo Call

It's a bit difficult to set it up but it works perfectly and the customer support will take through step by step to the right settings.

You can call on home mode if you use an Italian sim card, or swich to world mode to avoid roaming and simulate a call back to any italian or landline triggering the UK swichboard with an international SMS that your device will send each time you make an international call like normal.

Before you will get on that plane swich off data!

You can call for as cheap as 0.2 cent to U.S.

Hope you will enjoy your hoilday in Italy

A.I.
    Last edited by albertinik; 07-08-11 at 09:22 PM.
    07-08-11 08:59 PM
    thanks a lot. that really helped me lmfao (:
    07-08-11 09:11 PM
    thanks a lot. that really helped me lmfao (:
    Don't know why but it sounds ironic to me. At the end if your brain is to constipated to understand what roaming is and how to get a sim in a shop maybe you shouldn't travel you could even get lost,
    07-08-11 09:17 PM
    Please do not get confused and do not listen to people who doesn't know how to advice their self primarly.
    Priceless!
    07-09-11 12:43 AM
    Don't know why but it sounds ironic to me. At the end if your brain is to constipated to understand what roaming is and how to get a sim in a shop maybe you shouldn't travel you could even get lost,
    No need to troll.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-11 01:16 AM
    Priceless!
    Like the only things you cannot buy with an AMEX, intelligence, character for example

07-09-11 04:59 AM
    No need to troll.

Have you looked in the mirror? Or you want to give us a shot of good manner/galateo?

07-09-11 05:01 AM
    No Problem!
    First of all, you done need to let go from your Blackberry, Take it with you!
    It's your Blackberry device, you love it and you paid good money for it - so just take it with you and enjoy it!

Your parents are right and like most of the people they know that the price they will need to pay to make your phone number work with your Blackberry device is a lot more then what they pay already.
    Plus, they will need to activate a special "overseas" plan and they don't want all that.

But don't worry, you can do what ever YOU want because it's YOUR BlackBerry!

My phone is able to go global. I have verizon. It has a vodafone sim card already.
    If your Blackberry device is unlocked and can work with your Vodafone sim card it's great.

I will answer this for the general understanding, Blackberry devices are branded to their carrier.
    For example when you buy a Verizon Blackberry it's locked to Verizon and it comes with a Verizon SIM card that is there in your Blackberry just to be able to work on GSM when you activate the Verizon "overseas" Plan.

But after you unlock your Blackberry it's SIM free and i think this is what you wanted to say when you say GLOBAL...
    Any way... first thing first and when you going to visit other country with your Blackberry device you need to make sure that your Blackberry is unlocked and can work with GSM carriers so you can use any carrier wherever you are traveling...

I heard that you have to go to a store in italy and get a sim card from there.
    But my mom wants me to do either pay as you go -- and she doesn't want a contract, etc.
    When your device is unlocked you don't have any problem and you have a few options...

Unlocked Blackberry will work with all the GSM carriers that are operate in Italy... so, you can just step into any Carriers phone store (Such as Vodafone UK, Orange UK, Virgin, O2 UK and others...)
    You have those mini stores and centers all over the UK even in the airport...

You can find prices for local plans online before you go to Italy on the GSM carrier's websites and find the option that suits you best...

Then, when you get there all you need is to get that SIM card, put it in your unlocked Blackberry and use it local for cheap prices....

I have no idea what I should do... I mean, what happens when I get a sim card? do I get an italian number, everything? do my parents pay my bill from verizon or do they get a bill from where i get the sim card in italy?
    It's Easy...
    If you have your Blackberry with you...
    And, it's SIM free device (unlocked)
    and. you know what plan you want to use on your Unlocked Blackberry....
    you just walk into a store, pay, put the sim in your Blackberry and talk

About numbers... well... if your parents don't want to get a plan for Verizon overseas it's not relevant.. you don't pay to Verizon... you unlock your Blackberry then you change the phone number and use your device in Italu with GSM use (Sim card).

You can get a Pre-Paid plan without a Contract and this is the best option for you.

If you take 35$ you can buy a SIM card, unlock your Blackberry and also charge your pre-paid sim on your unlocked Blackberry with something like $20....

So you will have a SIM card that you can buy at any phone store there and your device working with it's number... it's cheap and easy and you will have signal on your device as a local, you will also be able to use other services to call to the USA from there with other plans that also work with your device...

this is so confusing, and i definitely don't want to get a different phone there, so can someone help me out? thanks.
    also, what do i turn off so i don't get charged extra for anything. wifi, internet... etc.
    You will need take on of the options you can go with and do it...
    It's easy... simple and starts buy making sure that your device is unlocked and by looking for the right Pre-Paid local plan with any GSM carrier in Italy.. then you just buy the sim and use it... you can even buy a pre paid SIM with data so you can use BBM and internet to contact the USA.

Easy..

I hope that this information will make it clear for you on how to use an unlocked Blackberry with other sim cards all over the world... and i wish you a nice visit in Italy while you go there....
    07-10-11 11:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD