Ok, I know next to nothing about cell phones. Every time I start up my Bold it says "AT&T World Phone"; does this mean it has the capability to be used in other countries? (specifically Brazil). What do I need to do this? Do I need my own Brazilian cell phone contract or something?

Thanks,
    Sam

PS- hi
    02-02-09 02:23 PM
    Your Bold will work in places where GSM network are deployed which is everywhere except in Korea and Japan which is largely CDMA.

Unless you have a International plan with ATT, you will be charged a lot of money especially for data usage.

First, I would change the setting so that data services is off when you are roaming. Options->Mobile Network->Data Services when you are travelling unless you have International data usage covered in your ATT plan.

You can either sign up for the internaltion plan before you go to another country then remove upon your return.

OR

Ask for unlock code and get a prepaid sim card once you arrive in Brazil.
    02-02-09 03:30 PM
    Having traveled to India frequently my experience has been a little different. I do acquire the unlock code from AT&T so that I can use a different prepaid SIM card and use the device as a phone and access my email.
    However, I have always had a problem getting a data plan for blackberry use when acquiring a prepaid SIM.
    On my last trip I had AT&T change my data plan to and international plan for $79/month and thus was able to get my emails etc. in a timely fashion.
    The good thing is that the plan is pro-rated when I activate and deactivate it so it does save me some money when I am back in the US.
    You may want to check the availability of prepaid plans for data usage in Brazil so that you are always connected.
    02-02-09 03:43 PM
    Thanks Pakman & sgadhia for the info. Just what I needed to know.
    02-07-09 09:41 AM
    Your Bold will work in places where GSM network are deployed which is everywhere except in Korea and Japan which is largely CDMA.
    Incorrect. Bold is a 3G phone and both these countries have extensive 3G networks. The Japanese 3G network is probably one of the best in the world.
    02-07-09 10:13 AM
    The Japanese 3G network is probably one of the best in the world.
    I second that. I was in Japan using my At&t Bold last week and NEVER dropped below 3G.
    02-07-09 12:32 PM
    If your contract is for local coverage means roaming charges may apply when you travel and leave the coverage area of AT&T provider’s network and roam onto the network or coverage area of another cellular provider, even if you are still within your country. If you have a nationwide coverage plan, roaming charges apply when you travel outside of your country.If you have international package plan means it will not apply roaming charge while in abroad.You can unlock your mobile from AT&T network lock by using the service of an online vendor like Unlocking4u.com and use a local GSM network in other country that will assist you to avoid huge roaming charge .

This thread is almost 5 years dead. Since you do not have a Tapatalk tag, or CB tag on your post, I presume you posted from your computer. The dates are clearly shown indicating the latest response in the thread.
    raino likes this.
    01-04-14 06:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD