crackberry peeps i need ur help. here's my situation:

i got an unlocked bold on rogers with a voice and bis plan. i am flying tomorrow to the Caribbean. the gsm providers where i'm going have prepaid blackberry plans. so i wanna pick up a local sim and add some minutes for voice and just add on the prepaid blackberry data plan. i am gonna take this local sim and just pop it into my bold. i plan to use the local sim for bbm and emails and browse web a bit. will this work?

my thinking is that maybe it will or maybe it wont cuz my pin/imei is already registered with rogers. im thinking i can unregister it at rogers.com/bis if theres a problem and that would solve it? would there be any issues with what im trying to do? will it mess up my bbm contacts or anything like that?

im just looking for any info or suggestions on the situation. feel free to throw anything at me.

btw, i've spoken to a couple rogers blackberry reps. the first one wasn't sure and the 2nd one said i just need to unregister the device pin/imei before i setup the local bis account. does anyone know how to do that? i can't seem to find the optoin on rogers.com/bis? but i don't necessarily trust rogers reps so im still looking to see what u guys say.
    Last edited by avmsam; 07-08-09 at 02:22 PM.
    07-08-09 02:06 PM
    If it's unlocked, shouldn't be an issue.
    07-08-09 02:08 PM
    I am in the same boat. The problem is not that the BB is unlocked or not. The problem is registering a BIS account with a different provider.
    07-08-09 02:12 PM
    I can't give you a direct answer, but I can tell you that if you use the rogers sim in your phone while roaming, its $0.03 per kb rounded up to the nearest 20 kb. It adds up real quick. Rogers offers some data roaming plans like $25 for 2 mb, and it has to be on for a full bill cycle +any partial days prior to the cycle date that you add it on.
    There are also some new voice roaming "travel packs" that don't require to be added for a full bill cycle, but I couldn't quote the prices for you right now, they are at rogers.com/roaming.

Hope I was of some help. If you can avoid browsing, I would recommend it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-09 12:59 AM
    i'm quite sure it will work, even though ur BB will be registered under two networks

as long as its unlocked,
    07-09-09 05:40 AM
    I am from the Caribbean, I am glad you posted this because I have a BB BOLD which I am travelling with to Canada. If you use L.I.M.E (Cable & Wireless) the prepaid sim card will work, they will also offer you a blackberry data plan for $5 USD per week. This automatically with draws every Saturday. But if the phone is unlocked it will be fine.

Now my question is will I be able to do the same in Canada, with a prepaid card and an added feature to have a BB data plan?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-09 09:20 AM
    so i just came back form my vacation. eveyrthing worked easily and perfectly. all i did was call rogers while i was in the airport before i left and they did their thing, which is what i mentioned in my first post. then once i got to my destination i popped in my local digicel sim card and activated the prepaid blackberry and it worked.

when i came back i popped back in my rogers sim card and re-registered my device and im back to normal.
    07-21-09 10:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD