I have and use a 9930 that is backed up to a windows 10 computer ( I dont seem to be able to load a new backup program on the bold.) I want to activate and use a classic I bought. How best to do this with complete transfer. Do I activate the phone then restore or restore then activate. Any help would be great as I am not well versed in the technical aspects though love the BB.
    12-10-20 10:28 AM
    I have and use a 9930 that is backed up to a windows 10 computer ( I dont seem to be able to load a new backup program on the bold.) I want to activate and use a classic I bought. How best to do this with complete transfer. Do I activate the phone then restore or restore then activate. Any help would be great as I am not well versed in the technical aspects though love the BB.
    Time warp.....

If you can get BlackBerry LINK to work... it should allow for a Device Switch from your 9930 to your Classic.

At one time BlackBerry Protect did save contacts to the cloud that cold be restored, and that worked to BB10 phones.... but only contacts.

Lot's of app in BBW that can help.... if you can fix that problem.

SD Card is always an option for files - pictures, documents.

2020 your email, contacts and calendar ought to be synced to the cloud.... your not still using some account that doesn't sync?

Really only text messages and BBM messages that you'll need another option for.

BUT WHY ARE YOU MOVING FROM ONE DEAD PLATFROM TO ANOTHER DEAD PLATFORM? BB10 doesn't have much time left...
    12-10-20 01:36 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry!!!!!! Post early and post often.........

Dunt is correct..... Even BBAndroid is three years behind. At minimum, get a Key2 LE and get used to BBAndroid if you don’t want an even newer Android device. That hopefully gets you to a possible new BlackBerry licensed device from Onward Mobility, perhaps next year....
    12-10-20 01:41 PM
    The OP appears to have already bought the Classic, and probably wants to ‘hang on in there’ a little bit longer, enjoying the PKB and touchpad experience. Depending on expectations the Classic might meet their needs.

BlackBerry used to offer a device switch app, and my hazy recollection of moving from the Bold to Q10 (many years back) was that it worked fairly well. I don’t know whether it’s still an available option.

Have a look at following

https://helpblog.blackberry.com/en/2...ice-switch-app

http://support.blackberry.com/kb/art...nguage=English
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 12-11-20 at 02:35 AM.
    12-11-20 02:22 AM
    Does the BB Link software still work? I think last time I tried it would not run on my Mac, but perhaps is still OK on Windows

12-11-20 02:33 AM
    The OP appears to have already bought the Classic, and probably wants to ‘hang on in there’ a little bit longer, enjoying the PKB and touchpad experience. Depending on expectations the Classic might meet their needs.
    Maybe...

But in the end this will be the first of many issues he'll find switching from BBOS to BB10.... even if apps aren't something he needs. Next will be trying to access BlackBerry World and need to find that "fix". Then it will be add email accounts, especially work ones that no longer support "less secure apps". Then browser issues with sites not opening, so finding a better browser will be need.

I'm assuming he isn't in the USA - as he must have activated the phone, so the 3G shutdown here won't affect him. But BlackBerry is ending most everything next year, so that a pretty short window compared to how long he was able to use his 9930.
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    12-11-20 07:25 AM
    I am in USA . THink I had trouble trying to get BB Desktop on my new Desktop. Was hoping to reconstruct the Bold info on the Classic and buy some time before I make a final decision or it is made for me. Was hoping I could use Restore from BB Desktop (which will still back up my Bold. Had questions since if Verizon will still activate it, and they would as of a few months ago but I had to defer, what the process was, specifically, how I use restore to transfer data to a new and different phone. Acknowledging a very primitive understanding of the BB . Have been a devout user but have barely explored it, and also run an evil iphone , required by work, as a device for more sophisticated apps. I just love the Bold and the Classic is the closest I can get with a bit more function. Would appreciate any guidance. Thanks
    12-11-20 09:48 AM
    Maybe...

But in the end this will be the first of many issues he'll find switching from BBOS to BB10.....
    We are in total agreement there, I have no arguments with any of that
    12-11-20 10:47 AM