01-21-17 03:42 AM
48 12
tools
    I think the trackpad on my trusty 9900 is on it's last legs The 'cursor' has developed a mind of it's own and on increasingly frequent occasions just jumps to wherever it wants. It is most noticeable in bright sunlight -- which is admittedly not always a too frequent in the UK

My keyboard however remains very reliable so I might just try to change the trackpad button, which have seen sold by some ebayers. Does any of the 99'ers have experience of doing this switch on their Bolds? I'd also be happy to hear of sellers in UK known to provide genuine BB parts; I would really like to avoid purchasing/fitting spurious parts to my 9900.
    06-04-16 09:00 AM
    Maybe the plug in connection for the Trackpad came loose?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-04-16 10:53 AM
    Maybe the plug in connection for the Trackpad came loose?
    It's a possibility but because there are times it behaves perfectly and others (most often in bright sunshine) that it plays up, I'm inclined to suspect wear & tear of the optical sensor. I don't think it's a unique problem, I have a cloudy recollection of reading earlier threads on the CB forums.
    06-04-16 11:50 AM
    Yeah, we call it "sun crazy" in our shop. Our best explanation is that microscratches on the trackpad's surface alters retraction characteristics. Creating sort of a "fresnel rainbow" for the optical input to deal with. We've had some luck polishing scratches out of the surface. Ultimately, a new one will be needed. I don't recall any particular difficulty with changing trackpad itself. Swapping keyboad assembly is easier & fast and what I've been doing in recent years.
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    06-04-16 12:52 PM
    Mine also has the direct sunlight sensitivity with its second keypad.

I'm with idssteve - probably way easier to swap in a new keyboard.

Q10 SQN100-2 10.3.2.2813 / 9930 7.1.0.1066
    06-04-16 01:13 PM
    Seems obvious now that I'll need to change the trackpad (with or without keyboard) to get my 9900 working reliably in the brilliant sunshine that we're so often plagued with in UK

For now I've decided to activate the spare 9900 that I bought a while back http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=12427228
    that exercise is keeping me busy/amused for now. I'll aim to update that earlier thread to document progress, problems etc.
    06-04-16 05:22 PM
    we have a very sunny day here, +26c, I went on my balcony, with the sun shining right into the face of the device I cannot get the trackpad or cursor to act up.

At first I thought maybe you meant the Ambient light sensor to the right of the earpiece.

Hope you get it sorted.

06-04-16 05:38 PM
    I have just ordered two keyboard units for the 9900 from two different eBay sellers, in the hope that at least one of those provides a good replacement. I was hoping to get a chassis /frame as well but the seller recommended by Blackerthanblack only has white units available
    /blackberry-bold-series-f235/9900-too-popular-buy-1067570-post12344398/

The track pad on my #1 Bold is becoming increasingly unreliable so I need to get it changed asap.
    06-26-16 01:30 AM
    Disaster!

Having received one of the two keyboards ordered, I proceeded to swap it in using various guidance available on the web.
    Other than the rather fiddly lining up and reconnection of the keyboard ribbon cable, it all seem to go rather well ... until I rebooted my 9900 and discovered that the replacement keyboard didn't work, the trackpad seemed dead and several letter keys did not enter characters. I had a couple of goes (patiently and carefully) reinstalling the replacement keyboard before giving up and putting the old one back, only to find that the originally was now misbehaving big time; often entering the wrong characters on a single keypress. Press [b] and I get [b], press [y] and obtain [yi]
    Giving up for now, I may need to swap my motherboard into my #2 (spare) Bold, which has it's own set of problems / see other thread http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post12459842
    I'm also waiting for the delivery of a second replacement keyboard, and hoping for better results.
    For now, it's back with the Q10
    06-28-16 06:22 AM
    Unfortunately you may have been sent a defective / junk keyboard. They are hit and miss. I had the same, the "2nd" was bad, so needed a 3rd one (that one is sensitive to the sun).

My suggestion is to check these forums, I may have the Q10 and this one crossed but thought there was a couple posts of reliable keyboard sources.

I think I did an alt / shift / delete and the 3rd kb at least functioned. If not, go back and check the mobo connection again.

Q10 SQN100-2 10.3.2.2813 / 9930 7.1.0.1066
    06-28-16 09:24 AM
    Mushroom thats exactly what happened to me yesterday. They tried with different Keyboard Trackpad combinations BUT since finding out yesterday that the keyboards basically open in half (the membrane is in the center) I don't know if they tried swapping the underside "half" that rests against the phone and ten using my Trackpad with this half, instead of using the entire new keyboard with my trackpad....understand?

You see, the new keys were great but just the trackpad wouldn't work properly. The repair guy told me it is definately "hit or miss" and that the phones are fussy for which keyboards are in them. I didn't order any new ones because of this.

The good news is that now my "h" key seems better, and I think it had someting to do with the both halves of the keyboard seperating when I was trying to remove it the first time, and then somehow when snapped back together it must have re-aligned it better perhaps.

06-28-16 10:57 AM
    My 9900 keyboard woes continue.....

I now have two replacement keyboards and neither work with respect to faithful letter entry on a keypress, they behave as first documented in post #9 above
    press [u] get [uo], press [h] get [hl], [j] get [jk], [b] get [b], [n] get [nm], the same keys give problems with the [alt] and [shift] keys pressed, and all keyboard fitted on my 9900 now appear to behave the same. Indeed the original keyboard now behaves the same so something has gone wrong

The ribbon cable is such a straightforward connection it's difficult to see what's going wrong. Perhaps something has now happened to the motherboard but the keyboard change is so simple I'm struggling to see the route cause of my problems.

If any of you 99'ers who regularly swap out keyboards ( idssteve, Shuswap et al.) have any tips or things to look out for I'd be pleased to hear from you.
    Perhaps my days of being Bold are coming to an end

Image: my original keyboard (top), and two replacements (below)
    Trackpad madness-img_20160702_121207.jpg
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 07-03-16 at 07:39 AM.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    07-02-16 07:58 AM

I now have two replacement keyboards and neither work with respect to faithful letter entry on a keypress, they behave as first documented in post #9 above
    press [u] get [uo], press [h] get [hl], [j] get [lk], [b] get [b], [n] get [nm], the same keys give problems with the [alt] and [shift] keys pressed, and all keyboard fitted on my 9900 now appear to behave the same. Indeed the original keyboard now behaves the same so something has gone wrong

The ribbon cable is such a straightforward connection it's difficult to see what's going wrong. Perhaps something has now happened to the motherboard but the keyboard change is so simple I'm struggling to see the route cause of my problems.

If any of you 99'ers who regularly swap out keyboards ( idssteve, Shuswap et al.) have any tips or things to look out for I'd be pleased to hear from you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160702_121207.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	202.4 KB 
ID:	403291
    I'm not sure what the problem might be, but since every keyboard has the same problem, I would expect that it's either 1) the connector on the motherboard or 2) some glitch in the OS. Since the first one would require insane soldering skills to fix, I'd try reloading the OS.

You could backup your device, but I'd check if the keyboard issue was fixed before restoring any backup, in case some setting in the backup recreates the problem.
    07-02-16 09:38 AM

press [u] get [uo], press [h] get [hl], [j] get [lk], [b] get [b], [n] get [nm], the same keys give problems with the [alt] and [shift] keys pressed, and all keyboard fitted on my 9900 now appear to behave the same. Indeed the original keyboard now behaves the same so something has gone wrong

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160702_121207.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	202.4 KB 
ID:	403291
    Heartbreaking that your original kb misbehaves now. Pretty much aims at the ribbon connector, I'm afraid. Maybe signal crossbleeding to adjacent pins? Idk. I'd scrutinize, clean, assure proper alignment of, etc the connector.

Also, are you seeing this behavior in all apps? Or specific ones? email? Text? Word? Etc? CB app?? ... ?
    07-02-16 09:34 PM
    Heartbreaking that your original kb misbehaves now. Pretty much aims at the ribbon connector, I'm afraid. Maybe signal crossbleeding to adjacent pins? Idk. I'd scrutinize, clean, assure proper alignment of, etc the connector.
    I had much the same thoughts and have looked very carefully at the ribbon connectors with a magnifying eye piece. There's nothing obviously amiss and actually the connectors seem relatively robust. I certainly hadn't forced anything to cause damage so it's rather odd that it starting playing up as soon as I tried a keyboard swap.

Also, are you seeing this behavior in all apps? Or specific ones? email? Text? Word? Etc? CB app?? ... ?
    I haven't tried many apps as the 9900 is very difficult to use with it's current rate of typo errors. It was a trial even entering my BB user ID password and it was at that stage (with 'show password' checked) that I first detected the problem. I get exactly the same key press errors when testing text entry in Memopad notes, so I doubt whether the app in use is having any additional effect.
    07-03-16 07:32 AM
    I'm not sure what the problem might be, but since every keyboard has the same problem, I would expect that it's either 1) the connector on the motherboard or 2) some glitch in the OS. Since the first one would require insane soldering skills to fix, I'd try reloading the OS.
    You could backup your device, but I'd check if the keyboard issue was fixed before restoring any backup, in case some setting in the backup recreates the problem.
    I will try reloading the OS next, I have archived backups and can use BBSAK, BB desktop etc. to reset the system to how it was a couple of weeks back. If that doesn't work it's probably 'end of life' for my 9900
    07-03-16 07:36 AM
    I had much the same thoughts and have looked very carefully at the ribbon connectors with a magnifying eye piece. There's nothing obviously amiss and actually the connectors seem relatively robust. I certainly hadn't forced anything to cause damage so it's rather odd that it starting playing up as soon as I tried a keyboard swap.

I haven't tried many apps as the 9900 is very difficult to use with it's current rate of typo errors. It was a trial even entering my BB user ID password and it was at that stage (with 'show password' checked) that I first detected the problem. I get exactly the same key press errors when testing text entry in Memopad notes, so I doubt whether the app in use is having any additional effect.
    Yep, if it's at BB Password level, problem's not likely app specific. If your backup is only a couple weeks old, maye not too painful to try OS, tho.

These connectors are truly robust, for what they are. Still... I'm not against a tiny smear of "deoxit" or "ridox" in there? Even "stabilant" as a last resort? Having to mix "pure" isopropyl with stabilant is why I mentioned the others first.

A brilliant coworker corrected "sorta DT" on a 2014 9900 over a year ago. He used Stabilant at various connection points. Including KB connector. That handset has performed flawlessly since. Stabilant has corrected contact issues I swore I didn't have. Fwiw. I just generally hesitate to introduce isopropyl around boards & ICs I know so little about.

I'm told that my coworker hypothesized incomplete connection on certain pins drove some kind of "feedback" into other circuits? Or something like that? Only here-say, tho. I haven't spoken directly with him about it since his "mystery repair".

I guess my point is that even tho the connector looks ok, a contact "enhancer" that doesn't bridge insulating separators might assist a marginal connection. That's precisely what Stabilant does. Also, Deoxit, to a lesser degree. Both are crazy expensive but useful EVERYwhere. Just some thoughts.
    07-03-16 09:56 AM
    We looked over my connecters when we had it at the shop and everything looked cool. All I can say is after three brand-new keyboards wouldn't work the original did again so there's something about the matching of the exact part number I'm guessing.
    07-03-16 11:44 AM
    Stabilant looks an interesting product,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stabilant-5...UvbUpU12492379

but as you say 'crazy expensive' at prices for which I could probably (with a bit of judicious bidding) pick up another 9900 on ebay.

DeoxIT seems more reasonably priced and might be worth a shot if the OS restore fails
    07-03-16 11:50 AM
    We looked over my connecters when we had it at the shop and everything looked cool. All I can say is after three brand-new keyboards wouldn't work the original did again so there's something about the matching of the exact part number I'm guessing.
    Yeah, I also think yours might be a part number specific issue. That's why I didn't mention "contact enhancers" for your case but I suppose it's possible that some pin deflection might be just right to still match your old KB connector and yet be off just enuff to preclude reliable contact with new KB connector? idk, just guesswork.

Since you've split your KB you're surely aware there's a TrackPad connector that might have been worth scrutinizing on those other KBs you tried?

But like you said, I'm curious about the significance of the "Rev. 4" printed on the back of an old keyboard I'm looking at right now. Wondering what "Rev. 3", etc, was all about?
    07-03-16 12:20 PM
    Stabilant looks an interesting product,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stabilant-5...UvbUpU12492437

but as you say 'crazy expensive' at prices for which I could probably (with a bit of judicious bidding) pick up another 9900 on ebay.

DeoxIT seems more reasonably priced and might be worth a shot if the OS restore fails

Lol. "crazy expensive" is a polite term. . We use far more Deoxit & Ridox around here than Stabilant, but Stabilant frequently "fixes" things the others might only "help". Stabilant is routinely spec'd by our Aerospace clients, for example.

Once you have some, you'll wind up using it on EVERYthing! Thing is, "A little dab will do ya!". Use it very sparingly! I still have a tiny bottle from my NASA days two decades ago! Rarely a month goes by that I don't use it for something. Even at home. Great for everything in a PC, etc. In fact, I'd be disappointed if a local electronics shop didn't have some, or something like it?
    07-03-16 12:37 PM

Since you've split your KB you're surely aware there's a TrackPad connector that might have been worth scrutinizing on those other KBs you tried? ?
    Yeah and we also tried my old trackpad with the new keyboard. One thing I thought about later is trying the back plate of the old keyboard also with the new keyboard but I'm not sure that would matter .
    07-03-16 12:57 PM
    Yeah and we also tried my old trackpad with the new keyboard. One thing I thought about later is trying the back plate of the old keyboard also with the new keyboard but I'm not sure that would matter .
    Hmm... So your original trackpad still works with original KB but not with new KB? I guess I assumed they shared the same ribbon cable but didn't expect that they'd interact directly. Hmm...

I'd expect the common element to be the track pad ribbon connector. Playing with this old, gravel damaged, kb I swapped out yesterday, the TP connector popped right off of the metal backing plate. It was adhering to a metallic substance that looks to be solder. It is conductive but seems soft. What ever it is, the TP connector's body wasn't making very solid connection to that metal backplate. It's making zero connection, now. Lol. Further investigation asap.
    07-03-16 01:50 PM
    But like you said, I'm curious about the significance of the "Rev. 4" printed on the back of an old keyboard I'm looking at right now. Wondering what "Rev. 3", etc, was all about?
    On the Q10s, the revision number made no difference to compatibility, although some people thought that certain revisions were less prone to double typing. It would be interesting if the different revisions of the Bold 9900 keyboard were incompatible.

Edit: I have three keyboards that all worked. I'll have to look at the revision numbers.
    07-03-16 02:43 PM
    The image in my earlier post #12 shows rev numbers and other codes for the three keyboards I have. This however is not the route cause of my problems because the original keyboard is also giving me problems ... but you might help Ralph!
    07-03-16 04:09 PM
48 12