It is just me, or is the silver lining of the trackpad starting to wear off after only 3 or 4 weeks of having the bold? The left and right side of my trackpad are now spotty with a brighter silver as if the original color if wearing down.

Discuss.
    06-20-10 07:52 PM
    Most likely just you. I have not experienced this, nor read anything about this in the forums. I use my trackpad heavily with no issues.
    06-20-10 07:55 PM
    It is just me, or is the silver lining of the trackpad starting to wear off after only 3 or 4 weeks of having the bold? The left and right side of my trackpad are now spotty with a brighter silver as if the original color if wearing down.

Discuss.
    Haven't noticed this - BUT, have noticed the 'paint' chipping off the keypad ... Trying to 'readjust' how I hit the keys (maybe it is just my nails ... though, never an issue with prior devices).
    06-20-10 08:21 PM
    definitely swap it out.
    06-20-10 08:44 PM
    If you are seeing issues like this in such a short time after the release, I would definitely bring it back ASAP without question. There is no reason as to why this should be happening except for that the device was not properly built.
    06-20-10 08:50 PM
    I too have long nails and do heavy texting but have not noticed any tarnishing or paint chipping or anything of the sort. I looked carefully after reading your post. I am going to keep an eye out for this as this kinda scares me.

Replacement seems the only logical thing at this point thought.
    06-20-10 09:07 PM
    I too have long nails and do heavy texting but have not noticed any tarnishing or paint chipping or anything of the sort. I looked carefully after reading your post. I am going to keep an eye out for this as this kinda scares me.

Replacement seems the only logical thing at this point thought.
    I'm thinking that *maybe* it is an isolated thing - and, am getting a replacement... I never had any issues of the sort with any other device (and have had long nails!)... so, I'm hopeful! Let me know if you see any issues!!
    06-20-10 09:11 PM
    I noticed the raised dot on the D button is chipped or worn out on my keyboard and light is leaking through it. Its only a tiny dot. Not sure if i did something to scrape it or its only worn after 2 weeks. My wife's keyboard is fine. oh well not really concerned.
    Last edited by mikec8801; 06-20-10 at 09:17 PM.
    06-20-10 09:15 PM
    I noticed the raised dot on the D button is chipped or worn out on my keyboard and light is leaking through it. Its only a tiny dot. Not really concerned.
    If only mine were just the raised dot ... the 'chipping' extends to the dot (and a bit of the D key itself), the W, MUCH of the E, the R, the S and the F - and, now the T is starting ... ugh ... but, I'm getting it replaced next week ... I've only had it for less than 2 weeks ... so, I wouldn't have expected a problem this soon at least.
    06-20-10 09:20 PM
    The first layer of my trackpad has actually started chipping off aswell. I'm not even sure I can get it replaced because I didn't originally upgrade with this phone. I upgraded to the 8530 and a week later when the bold came out I got the 9650. I AM within the 30 days of having the actual device, but I'm NOT within the 30 days of my upgrade/contract renewal period, and I have no insurance on the phone.

I spoke to a customer service representative about this issue and he said they would replace it at my local store if I was within the 30 days, but I'm not sure which 30 day(s) he meant. Because technically, I had my 8530 for about.. 2 weeks? And I don't know if those 2 weeks carry over for the 30 days I have with the bold. And I know getting an exchange doesn't extend the 30 day warranty.

Maybe I'm over thinking it. :|
    06-20-10 11:31 PM
    You may not be seeing things. You may a person who has an alkaline body chemistry (very acidic perspiration). I've seen people who are very acidic, tarnish 14K gold and leave a green ring on their finger when they remove their rings. Remember... that silver border is merely a [cheap]chrome plating on plastic. That plating isn't going to endure much abrasion, much less, alkalinity combined with abrasion.
    06-21-10 12:17 AM
    You may not be seeing things. You may a person who has an alkaline body chemistry (very acidic perspiration). I've seen people who are very acidic, tarnish 14K gold and leave a green ring on their finger when they remove their rings. Remember... that silver border is merely a [cheap]chrome plating on plastic. That plating isn't going to endure much abrasion, much less, alkalinity combined with abrasion.
    Ah, I am one of those people who can wear VERY expensive gold jewelry and have green rings around my neck, arm, finger depending upon what type of jewelry it is..very embarrassing! Now I am beginning to worry about my phone! Oh dear! It is going to be only a matter of time before this happens to me I bet!!!!

So the only choice is replacement within the 30 day window and after that we're out in the cold. Wow. I feel sorry for anyone that this happens to because I bet I am going to be joining your ranks soon.
    06-21-10 05:58 AM
    dont worry Jaydee,

If you are walking around with large green rings around your neck and arms i sincerely doubt anyone will notice minor marks on your 9650 ....

Ah, I am one of those people who can wear VERY expensive gold jewelry and have green rings around my neck, arm, finger depending upon what type of jewelry it is..very embarrassing! Now I am beginning to worry about my phone! Oh dear! It is going to be only a matter of time before this happens to me I bet!!!!

So the only choice is replacement within the 30 day window and after that we're out in the cold. Wow. I feel sorry for anyone that this happens to because I bet I am going to be joining your ranks soon.
    06-21-10 06:08 AM
    dont worry Jaydee,

If you are walking around with large green rings around your neck and arms i sincerely doubt anyone will notice minor marks on your 9650 ....
    Mystic
    That was very funny!!!
    06-21-10 06:10 AM
    I'm happy to report that I went into my local sprint repair store today (after calling the regular store and confirming that I couldn't get a exchange because I was over my ORIGINAL curve 30 day warranty), and I got the response I was hoping for.

I went in, the lady saw my phone, didn't notice any defect but took it to the technician, he had to come out and ask what was wrong with the phone, and I told him to hold the trackpad up to the light and he'll see that the lining of the trackpad is wearing off, and that the coating that protects the trackpad is also chipping (and that it's effecting my overall performance with it).

He said that since the trackpad has been released, he has never witnessed a case like mine where the actual coating of the trackpad was wearing off and chipping. He told me that they aren't allowed to open and replace any parts for new phones, but that he would happily order me a replacement phone (for free). I accepted of course! :P

He told me the replacement bold will be there on Wednesday, and that he'd call me when it got there.

Not to shabby for someone who went over their 30 day warranty and doesn't have insurance. Seems like my issue is truly a rare case, and doesn't happen too often (or much at all).
    06-21-10 11:01 AM
    Wow, you ARE lucky! Good for you! I hope I can be as convincing IF and when it happens to me.

Congrats now let's hope it doesn't happen again!
    06-21-10 11:20 AM
    Well, after the technician told me about the replacement, I started talking to the lady whom I originally talked too, and she told me any DEFECTS the phone may have are covered under the 1 year warranty with RIM (as well as the carrier's insurance policy).

So any wear and tear, and any defects with hardware/buttons/etc. can be a valid reason to get a replacement phone if you're past the 30 day warranty and don't have insurance. Everything else is covered by the carriers' insurance (lost/stolen/cracked screen/water damage). And anything that is covered by RIMs warranty is free, and if it's free on RIMs warranty it'll be free on the carrier insurance.

Since I'm getting a new phone, my current bold is nude. :P No need to worry about dropping it for the next 2 days.
    06-21-10 11:29 AM
    All good information. Thanks. And good luck!
    06-21-10 11:58 AM
    All of these complaints and not a single user has taken a picture of the problem yet?
    06-21-10 12:46 PM
    Well, after the technician told me about the replacement, I started talking to the lady whom I originally talked too, and she told me any DEFECTS the phone may have are covered under the 1 year warranty with RIM (as well as the carrier's insurance policy).

So any wear and tear, and any defects with hardware/buttons/etc. can be a valid reason to get a replacement phone if you're past the 30 day warranty and don't have insurance. Everything else is covered by the carriers' insurance (lost/stolen/cracked screen/water damage). And anything that is covered by RIMs warranty is free, and if it's free on RIMs warranty it'll be free on the carrier insurance.
    Don't be mislead by Sprint! I had a huge fight with Sprint and RIM over warranty coverage for my Tour. RIM directed me to Sprint; and Sprint directed me to RIM. It wasn't until I dug-up the actual RIM warranty that everyone stopped pointing fingers. My fight was over the fact that the trackball was defective and the defect didn't rear it's ugly head until I was beyond my 30-day 'satisfaction guarantee'. I demanded that RIM fix or replace the device as per their warranty as the problem was a manufacturer's defect. RIM stated that Sprint bought the warranty and any satisfaction would have to come from Sprint. Sprint wanted to just give me a refurbished device and call it a day. I refused to accept a refurbished device when the device was clearly defective - and it was a 'known issue'. I eventually got my NEW phone. Oh, and then to add insult to injury, when I got my next month's phone bill, I had the most exorbitant long distance charges from talking to RIM. Calling Canada is considered international calling, not [free] long distance.

Read post 12 of this CB thread for RIM's warranty.
    06-21-10 04:55 PM
    I have a question..

How many of these issues are on a womans phone?

Reason I am asking is because certain lotions that are used can and will affect everything you touch..

One biggest problem causer is Antibacterial hand sanitizer gel. This stuff will strip a white gold ring in a few days if used on a regular basis.

So if your a man or woman who uses a lot of lotions (both hand and face) as well as hand sanitizer you may be causing these defects yourself and its not a Rim Defect.

~Steven
    06-21-10 07:56 PM
    I have a question..

How many of these issues are on a womans phone?

Reason I am asking is because certain lotions that are used can and will affect everything you touch..

One biggest problem causer is Antibacterial hand sanitizer gel. This stuff will strip a white gold ring in a few days if used on a regular basis.

So if your a man or woman who uses a lot of lotions (both hand and face) as well as hand sanitizer you may be causing these defects yourself and its not a Rim Defect.

~Steven
    I, personally, don't have a problem with any of the defects (wear and tear wise) if they happened months from now. I've only had the phone for about 2 1/2 weeks, so any wear and tear is ridiculous.
    06-21-10 07:59 PM
    Typing with your fingernails can possibly rub off the letters on the keys over a long period of time on a lot of different phones too.
    06-21-10 08:00 PM
    Typing with your fingernails can possibly rub off the letters on the keys over a long period of time on a lot of different phones too.
    Agreed - and, this is what I'd attribute my 'issues' to - HOWEVER, I've had the phone less than 2 weeks ... so, to see such an 'issue' in such a short period of time is kind of crazy to me (unless I was just sitting around - which I'm not, mind you - scratching the paint off the keys).

I had to get my Bold swapped out for other reasons anyway - and, likely wouldn't have asked for a replacement due to the paint on the keypad scratching off - but, truly - is it asking too much that the paint not wear off in less than two weeks??
    06-21-10 08:49 PM
    The amount of time it takes might vary from keypad to keypad.
    06-21-10 08:59 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD