Ok I have a 2 week old BB 9700 and the trackpad is a little loose, it doesn't feel like it's going to fall out it just wobbles a little bit, I just want to know if this is normal or if this will turn into a problem.
    06-22-10 08:13 AM
    If you search there have been many threads on this issue... It seems there is about a 50/50 chance of getting a loose or somewhat wobbly track pad, but many who have this say it doesnt affect function whatsoever. I know mine is a bit wobbly and I have had mine since October and it is still fine now.

hope this helps
    06-22-10 09:22 AM
    Yeah, my trackpad wobbles a little bit. Doesn't hinder performance at all though - i still prefer the trackpad over the trackball.
    If you are technically savy - i've read in some places of people using tiny pieces of paper to stick under the trackpad to make it a little more stable. But to do this you'd have to take apart your berry - ***which also will void your warranty***
    Since its still new, try taking it to your carrier and see if they'll replace it for that. But like bosh said, you have a 50/50 chance of getting refurbished one with a wobbly trackpad.
    06-22-10 09:28 AM
    I went through 4 phones to get one that doesn't even move a hair. The other 4 has other issues, but all of them had wobbly trackpads.
    06-22-10 09:58 AM
    Well, remember, the trackpad is also a button, so it's considered a "Moving part."

That being said, it's not supposed to be in there too tight, or so tight you can't press it. Meaning, it's going to have a little play in it.

But, a little play and wobbly can be two different things. And, since those terms are more up to the persons perspective (One man's little play is another man's wobble... dang, that sounds dirty!), lets try to put it on a scale.

Mine wiggles around with a total travel distance equal to about 2 or 3 human hairs. (I may be bald, but I know how big a hair is )I would think up to about 4 or 5 hairs might be ok. But, lets say you can stack 2 or 3 business cards and slip them in the space left when you wiggle it to one side, then that might be excessive.

Right now we are dealing with measurements like my grandmothers "Add a Pinch of salt!" or "Just a dash of sugar..."

Can you give us an idea of about how much total travel (From one side to the other) you have with the wiggle so we can judge if it's excessive, or just part of the needed room for the button to work.
    06-22-10 11:18 AM
    Well, remember, the trackpad is also a button, so it's considered a "Moving part."

That being said, it's not supposed to be in there too tight, or so tight you can't press it. Meaning, it's going to have a little play in it.

But, a little play and wobbly can be two different things. And, since those terms are more up to the persons perspective (One man's little play is another man's wobble... dang, that sounds dirty!), lets try to put it on a scale.

Mine wiggles around with a total travel distance equal to about 2 or 3 human hairs. (I may be bald, but I know how big a hair is )I would think up to about 4 or 5 hairs might be ok. But, lets say you can stack 2 or 3 business cards and slip them in the space left when you wiggle it to one side, then that might be excessive.

Right now we are dealing with measurements like my grandmothers "Add a Pinch of salt!" or "Just a dash of sugar..."

Can you give us an idea of about how much total travel (From one side to the other) you have with the wiggle so we can judge if it's excessive, or just part of the needed room for the button to work.
    You know, honestly, I thought the EXACT same way before I got my 5th 9700.. the first 4 all had wobble. I was convinced it was the way it was designed. Nothing could change my mind, no matter how many people said theirs was perfect, I just figured their eye for detail isn't that great.

But then I got my 5th 9700 and I swear to god the trackpad doesn't move a single hair. Not even a fraction of a hair. Not even a 100th of a hair... No joking. And believe me I've tried.
    06-22-10 11:27 AM
    But then I got my 5th 9700 and I swear to god the trackpad doesn't move a single hair. Not even a fraction of a hair. Not even a 100th of a hair... No joking. And believe me I've tried.
    And no problems with pressing it to click the button under it? Do you feel like you have to use any extra force on it to get it to click, or is it smooth?
    06-22-10 11:50 AM
    And no problems with pressing it to click the button under it? Do you feel like you have to use any extra force on it to get it to click, or is it smooth?
    No problems with any clicking, its smooth as can be.
    06-22-10 12:22 PM
    No problems with any clicking, its smooth as can be.
    Good to know. You would think you would need at least a hairs worth of wiggle room for the button push. (I know it has a fairly short travel anyway.)
    06-22-10 12:56 PM
    I do gotta mention tho, being my 5th one, this trackpad definitely looks different. It looks a tiny bit bigger, and the chrome ring around it is definitely thicker. So I'm thinking maybe they changed it?

But yeah, when pressing it it seems to go directly inwards with no movement to the left or right, up or down.
    06-22-10 01:05 PM
    Same here; no wiggle,press goes in not side to side. Just lucky I guess.
    B B

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-10 06:15 AM

After being disappointed for few weeks on wobbly trackpad..
    I decided to play with it..
    But after watching disassemble videos and reading about functioning...
    I calculated what you have just mentioned....
    My BB is perfectly fine.

06-23-10 07:36 AM
    My trackpad wobbles but the rest of the phone is pretty solid, could send it back for a third one but I don't want to chance getting other problems. Last trackpad was solid but sunken in in one corner. I'd rather have a wobbly one than one that's sunken in!!!

06-24-10 04:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD