I have had my bold for almost a year now and besides it locking up every once in a while I have loved it! (switched from an iphone) BUT in the last couple of weeks I have been having some issues with the track ball. It is not wanting to scroll down and when I push it to select something it will select it 3-6 times instead of once. I went by my local ATT store and the lady said they have been having issues with the same complaint and to call my warranty department. So I did and they said it was from being dropped and they would charge me $500 to replace it if it was damaged (didnt buy the insurance, Damnit!) Anybody have any ways to repair or temp fix it till I save up enough for the latestest and greatest blackberry?
    08-02-09 05:57 PM
    They assumed it was dropped? If I were you I would demand an exchange and an apology from whoever "helped" you. I got a warranty replacement 3 weeks ago for the same reason. There's no reason why they can't give you a warranty replacement.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-09 06:50 PM
    I have had my bold for almost a year now and besides it locking up every once in a while I have loved it! (switched from an iphone) BUT in the last couple of weeks I have been having some issues with the track ball. It is not wanting to scroll down and when I push it to select something it will select it 3-6 times instead of once. I went by my local ATT store and the lady said they have been having issues with the same complaint and to call my warranty department. So I did and they said it was from being dropped and they would charge me $500 to replace it if it was damaged (didnt buy the insurance, Damnit!) Anybody have any ways to repair or temp fix it till I save up enough for the latestest and greatest blackberry?
    When you call the warranty department and they ask you if you've dropped
    the phone, it's okay to tell a fib and just say "no" I haven't.
    08-02-09 06:54 PM
    they can't just assume that it was dropped. i would assume that they were just saying that "IF there is physical damage they will charge you". not "there is physical damage so we will charge you"
    08-02-09 07:39 PM
    ya I was pretty mad when they told me that and had a pretty good discussion with the lady making her look like a complete dumbass. I have gone back today and the other manager said that there is no reason for a small mark on the bottom of my phone to cause the track ball and keyboard to stop working. BUT if there is some way to fix it I would love to know so I wouldnt have to deal with the dumbasses at the store.

Any suggestions?
    08-03-09 07:39 PM
    Have you tried a new trackball? Dirt cheap on ebay, just be sure to buy a "blackberry toolkit" to make things easier.
    08-03-09 08:55 PM
    Also, the contact underneath the rollerball can become clogged with grease and dirty over time. Rubbing alcohol and QTip and get anything off of it.

After a year, the rollerball itself should be nice and gunked up. you can put some rubbing alcohol and distilled water in a glass and drop the rollerball assembly in it just so its covered. Let it sit there for a couple minutes. Then stick your fingers in there and roll the ball around in all directions.

on the bottom of the roller ball there is a little tab called "the spoon". When you push the ball in, the spoon makes contact with the contact on the main board (which I have assumed you have cleaned by now!). Make sure that there is no gunk between the spoon and the ball. Also, make sure the bottom of the spoon which makes contact with the main board is also clean (rubbing alcohol + QTip).
    08-06-09 10:15 PM
    Is there an easy way to get the bold trackball out? I didn't think there was. I would say that you should go in again and be an A$$ to them and make sure that they realise this should be taken care of! If there is an easy trackball removal that won't void the warranty (something like the 83xx series was great for) the I would say it will definitely need a good cleaning if not a replacement.

Good luck!

JB
    08-07-09 01:18 AM
    Just tell them your gonna cancel your dang contract...sounds like your being nice about it, i have exchanged my BOld a few times, so i know its able to be done! I just tell them," hey look i paid a crap load of money for a phone not to work, let me talk to your supervisor and get this fixed! the thing isnt working and no i havent dropped it, so let me know what i need to do to get this thing out to you...
    08-07-09 02:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD