The track ball on my Bold got very dirty so took it apart and cleaned it with rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip. Now its acting up somtimes it works when I click it and somtimes it doesnt. I think I pushed dirt under the button on the board.
    My question is does anybody know were to buy a new board??
    Its driving me crazy
    Last edited by acguy; 08-12-09 at 12:14 PM. Reason: dont have a storm anymore
    08-12-09 12:12 PM
    before you buy a new try taking it apart again and make sure nothing go under the
    ball during thr reassembly
    08-12-09 03:17 PM
    I agree with the above person. Trackballs mess up all the time, they're cheap and you can get them from about 20 different places.
    08-12-09 04:24 PM
    The clicking has nothing to do with the actual trackball. The switch under it does the clicking.
    Im suprised nobody on here has told him to do a battery pull. Thats the other solution everyone here seems to prescribe when something goes wrong with a physical part.
    My advice is do a search on trackball not clicking and you'll find the answer from another post I wrote.
    08-12-09 04:51 PM
    The track ball on my Bold got very dirty so took it apart and cleaned it with rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip. Now its acting up somtimes it works when I click it and somtimes it doesnt. I think I pushed dirt under the button on the board.
    Its driving me crazy
    Before you by the new keyboard, try blowing the debris away with a can of compressed air.
    08-12-09 04:58 PM
    Before you by the new keyboard, try blowing the debris away with a can of compressed air.
    He's not talking about the keyboard. he's talking about the contact plate under the track ball that makes contact with the Bold's motherboard when you press the trackball in. Compressed air is a good suggetion tho might help out and also the above suggestion to take it apart again just to check that nothing got underneath during re-assembly. As far as finding a cheap board i would try Craigs List for a parts phone or one with a damaged lcd or charger port. if you have insurance on your phone it might be cheaper just to do an insurance claim.

I'm not sure what's involved in taking apart the trackball on the Bold. If its anything like the curve and doesn't require taking apart the housing (as it probably voids the warranty) you might take it to a service center for replacement.

hope that helps !!
    08-12-09 05:15 PM
    You just need to clean the little sticker switch.
    To replace the board you might as well get a whole new phone.
    08-12-09 05:15 PM
    Its driving me crazy
    New boards are not economic, the ball is mounted on the mainboard.

However it is likely you have a simple problem. Does the ball always feel like it clicks, even if nothing happens? If it does the mechanism is working and you have a connection issue. Dismantle again, remove the silver trackball cover/clip and make sure the bottom contact and contact pad in the mounting are clean and undamaged. Replace the ball module, and make sure it is correctly seated (check the little pins on the underside and the holes in the board). When it is correct the two lugs at top and bottom fit flush into the black frame, then replace the silver clip/bezel and make sure it is correctly clipped down.

If this doesn't work try replacing the trackball assembly with a new one. They are cheap and readily available online.

DON'T try to dismantle the trackball module to release the ball and rollers. I did and its a PITA to get it back together, the end of the rollers is magnetic and they stick to everything. Hint - If you do take it apart, the orientation of the rollers is important. The black magnetic end is anticlockwise when viewed from above/keypad side as if you were using the phone. It matters, and you'll know if you got it wrong because the movements are reversed.
    08-12-09 05:29 PM
    Good point, all Bolds are still <12 months old and still in warranty. I hope you rescued the little white warranty seal sticker from the middle screw.
    08-12-09 05:52 PM
    Ok guys thanks for all the input here's what I did
    I disassembled the phone down to the board. (3rdtime)
    removed the track ball assy. and as mentioned above I removed the metal sticker switch which is under a piece of amber colored securing tape the 2mm wide disc is only held on by the piece of tape I cleaned underneath with Q-tip and rubbing alcohol but I didnt re-use the tape because the track ball assy holds it in place I guess I didnt clean the area well enough the first and second time. so this is what I did and Im back in business Again thanks guys for all the support. Im just glad that little disc was not molded to the board..

I just got my Otterbox case today (and yes i got it from CB store) and I love it if anybody uses their phone in a rough enviroment Invest in the Otterbox case
    Last edited by acguy; 08-12-09 at 11:51 PM.
    08-12-09 11:47 PM
    Ok one last thing..
    this morning my track ball was clicking but not entering
    So I decided to put the tape back over the sticker switch
    I trimmed a piece of scotch tape and put it over the switch
    when I booted up Igot error 536??? so I had to do a complete wipe w/ JL-cmder and reinstall the os .266 and now everthing is great track ball is back to normal and shes even running a bit faster. So I dont know what I did to cause the error code
    but just be careful before diving in..
    08-13-09 09:33 PM
    dear all
    I got problem with track ball in bold 9000,the ball sometime came sticky and I can not to klik the bold for entering..please help me what is the problem if it like this.. thanks for your helping
    08-13-09 09:47 PM
    wish it just installed easily like prior blackberry devices...
    08-13-09 10:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD