What someone should do as I am giving and IDEA. So people with the exsisting generation of blackberry tour with the trackball, someone should take a trackpad and make it applicable to the tours with a trackball. Make it so it fits into that area. Just and idea and know its possible
    10-25-09 01:07 PM
    Actually, this has been discussed and it is not possible. There are actual changes within the OS for trackpad models compared to trackball models. While it would seem easy to do, it is not actually possible at this time. I am going to try to dig for the old thread.

Check out Bla1ze's explanation here.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/wh...d-tour-313569/
    Last edited by drm2blv; 10-25-09 at 01:11 PM.
    10-25-09 01:08 PM
    Oh did not know, yes i agree it does have a lot to do with software but they could make it work, a software flash/ update. Hopefully in the near future we will see this as they are changing the form factor of even the newer models of phones.
    10-25-09 01:35 PM
    Oh did not know, yes i agree it does have a lot to do with software but they could make it work, a software flash/ update. Hopefully in the near future we will see this as they are changing the form factor of even the newer models of phones.
    Or wait for the Essex, whenever the **** it may release. Essex is a Tour with the most recent OS at time of release, WiFi, and a trackpad.
    10-25-09 01:47 PM
    Also about a month ago or so I posted the same thing, hoping a swap out was possible. I really want a trackpad as well.
    10-25-09 01:49 PM
    Yes i understand that they will release a new model.. But these older tours are like and older car they need an accessory update, make an old like a new that easy.
    Yea the trackpad looks cool, just seems to have less issues when coming to effective and efficient.
    10-25-09 01:53 PM
    From what I hear if your finger is moist, or if you are in DIRECT sunlight, the pad doesnt work as well. But it works great under normal circumstances. Either way, Ill take that a million times over and over instead of the trackball.
    10-25-09 01:55 PM
    Dont get me wrong i love the trackball but it has its possibilities of messing up.
    10-25-09 03:06 PM
    Exactly. Id rather not have to worry bout lint and oils from my finger effecting the already problematic Tour trackball.
    10-25-09 03:14 PM
    if you could do that then they couldnt make you buy the essex
    10-25-09 06:01 PM
    From what I hear if your finger is moist, or if you are in DIRECT sunlight, the pad doesnt work as well.
    If you're in direct sunlight, who cares about whether or not the trackpad works, you can't see the screen ...and if your fingers are moist, you shouldn't be handling the phone anyway.
    10-25-09 08:57 PM
    My hands are sweating all the time... can't help it... am I going to damage the trackball??
    10-25-09 11:27 PM
    If you're in direct sunlight, who cares about whether or not the trackpad works, you can't see the screen ...and if your fingers are moist, you shouldn't be handling the phone anyway.
    Not sure about you, but my Tour's screen works just fine under direct sunlight.

Of course, I agree with your statement about moist fingers
    10-25-09 11:34 PM
    lol excellent points
    10-26-09 07:17 AM
    RIM would probably release a new model since they are moving from trackball to trackpads...
    10-26-09 07:20 AM
    When is it coming out?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-07-10 05:32 PM
    When is it coming out?

Sometime between tomorrow and never.
    03-07-10 06:24 PM
    My hands are sweating all the time... can't help it... am I going to damage the trackball??
    Yes, I have had three blackberrys all with trackballs. The curve, bold, and another curve. I had to get trackball replaced so many times it wasn't even funny. When you first get a new one the trackball is white, give it a few months and it turns black. No matter how much hand sanitizer you use or how many times you wash your hands. Track pad has yet to be replaced and is definitely a fix to the many ball issues.

03-07-10 10:13 PM
    We need to get a mob together and riot outside of RIM headquarters, and demand a sick phone asap and then smash our blackberries on the ground.

Last edited by threader26; 03-08-10 at 03:31 AM.
    03-08-10 03:27 AM
    Yes, I have had three blackberrys all with trackballs. The curve, bold, and another curve. I had to get trackball replaced so many times it wasn't even funny. When you first get a new one the trackball is white, give it a few months and it turns black. No matter how much hand sanitizer you use or how many times you wash your hands. Track pad has yet to be replaced and is definitely a fix to the many ball issues.

Funny, I had a Pearl for 2 years and the trackball NEVER turned black, even when I used it when my hands were not as clean as they should have been. I cleaned the t-ball every month or so at the very most and it is still white and still works great today. I also had a Curve and again, not a single problem with the trackball and it NEVER turned black. We have had a couple of dozen BBs with trackballs at my company and not a single one of them has ever turned black (except for the Tours of course which is black) and not a single one of them has ever been replaced, returned, repaired, etc.
    03-08-10 10:40 AM
    We need to get a mob together and riot outside of RIM headquarters, and demand a sick phone asap and then smash our blackberries on the ground.

And what are you planning on doing after you are removed from the premises, Told that you will be able to purchase it when it is released, and then realize that you no longer have a BB to utilize(as you are riding in the back of a police car)??? lol just a thought
    Last edited by MrBiznessman; 03-08-10 at 05:31 PM.
    03-08-10 05:20 PM
    Funny, I had a Pearl for 2 years and the trackball NEVER turned black, even when I used it when my hands were not as clean as they should have been. I cleaned the t-ball every month or so at the very most and it is still white and still works great today. I also had a Curve and again, not a single problem with the trackball and it NEVER turned black. We have had a couple of dozen BBs with trackballs at my company and not a single one of them has ever turned black (except for the Tours of course which is black) and not a single one of them has ever been replaced, returned, repaired, etc.
    Just curious... what did u clean it with???
    03-08-10 05:21 PM
    Just curious... what did u clean it with???
    I have mentioned that there at least 3 easy ways to clean the trackball in other threads. Alcohol swabs usually work best for me and can be bought for $2/100 at drug/grocery stores everywhere; compressed air cans are good to remove loose dust or dirt on keyboard and around trackball. There is also a paper strip method to clean the trackball that I heard about here and found a video on YouTube.

I have used all three of these on various BBs with good results, obviously the swabs work best to clean stuck on dirt and grime. I use the hand sanitizer stuff on my hands several times daily (I carry in each car, big bottle in my office and at home) and wash my hands at least a half a dozen times with soap and water throughout a normal day. I do not work outside or in a dirty environment, it is a pretty clean office for the most part. I do drink coffee and even eat food at my desk from time to time and try to clean up good before going back to work and try to keep everything pretty clean in general.

Lastly, I use very light pressure when rolling or pushing the trackball to keep the wear to a minimum whenever possible. These are somewhat delicate electronic devices and not built to be the most rugged phones on the market.
    03-09-10 11:34 AM
    I'm looking for a way to replace the trackpad with a trackball, I much prefer the ball and have had no problems with it on 5 different BBs although my 9630 ball did turn black, darned if it didn't turn black in the box while it was being sent to me!

Yes, I have used a trackpad on the 9700 and believe me, I'll be looking for a way to replace it with a trackball if I get a new phone or I'll be keeping my 9630.

I can certainly understand the feelings of those who have had problems with the trackball but I haven't and I suspect we'll be seeing a TON of trackpad problems when they get a year old or so..... one thing you gotta love about the track ball is the ease of replacement, granted, what was a 2 minute job on my 8330 is now a 30 minute job in the 9630 but if I never have to do it I don't really care much about the extra time...
    Last edited by xs11e; 03-09-10 at 02:46 PM.
    03-09-10 02:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD