One of the things I really liked about my new Torch 9800 after switching from a Curve 8530 was the onscreen dial-pad for the phone. Using the big touch numbers was WAY easier than pecking out a phone number on the little qwerty keys.

Has anyone had a chance to see if the new Bold 9900 has a touchscreen dial pad as well, or is it keypad dialing only?
    08-05-11 03:25 PM
    I highly doubt it has one. It's a traditional BlackBerry (9000/9780 etc) with touchscreen capabilities, so i dont think anything with the interface has changed. I'd be surprised if it did.
    08-05-11 03:30 PM
    I switched from the torch to the bold 9900 and it does not have the touch screen dialing....I agree that it should be on there for sure!
    09-01-11 12:44 PM
    No touch screen dialing option available. You can however; just open up the contact and then touch the number in the contact that you wish to call - but I guess you already knew that
    09-01-11 12:58 PM
    I switched from the torch to the bold 9900 and it does not have the touch screen dialing....I agree that it should be on there for sure!
    Why for heaven's sake do you think there should be a touch screen dial pad on a phone with a keyboard? That makes absolutely NO sense at all!
    OniBerry likes this.
    09-01-11 04:58 PM
    +1 ^^^^ I agree, terrible!
    09-01-11 05:09 PM
    Doesn't have one from what I can see. Though I can't deny it would be a welcome addition. Maybe they'll give this in an update?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-11 06:31 PM
    Why for heaven's sake do you think there should be a touch screen dial pad on a phone with a keyboard? That makes absolutely NO sense at all!
    The torch has a keyboard too....
    09-01-11 06:46 PM
    The torch has a keyboard too....
    An optional keyboard, and an optional screen dial
    09-01-11 06:49 PM
    I think it would be nice if there was an onscreen icon to put up a keypad. I like to check my voicemail on the go(or while driving, I know, not a good idea) and to enter my password is sometimes a pain. It's not necessary by any means, just a nice add-on for an additional option.
    09-01-11 06:49 PM
    When you start getting on in years those keys start to look very small.
    09-01-11 07:01 PM
    +1 ^^^^ I agree, terrible!
    What's so terrible about having the option of using either the key pad or dial pad . You use the one you prefer.

09-01-11 07:14 PM
    While my views on why I do not think a screen dialer is needed on the 9900/9930 are pretty well known, I know as soon as someone is able, they will code and sell/give em out on App World (and that is fine)

Aside from the fact that the keys are big enough on the kpad. You can't use the phone without using the kpad and tpad. It's that simple. While you could continue to use the berry without ever touching the screen. You could call it a blend, but it really isn't. It is a BlackBerry (with some added screen functionality).

If one finds their needs leaning towards the full touch experience, then I suggest they buy a 9850, and if they want the best of both worlds (touch and kpad), they can get a 9810. Heck, some do not want a touchscreen at all and will opt for a 9790. I like the phone I have, the kpad I want, with a little extra touch that makes everything a little better (not needed mind you, just surprising).

I am not against the 9900/30 ever getting a touchscreen dialer, like I said, I know it is coming. Cause couples of people cannot be wrong.

What's so bad about a dial pad? Nothing, just buy the berry you prefer.

or in your case, the Android you want. Wakka Wakka!!
    09-01-11 08:16 PM
    What's so terrible about having the option of using either the key pad or dial pad . You use the one you prefer.

You have to change the UI on a device that doesn't have the same screen real estate as other phones which have mandatory touchscreen dialers.

So basically it's not a "free" option.
    09-01-11 08:19 PM
    You have to change the UI on a device that doesn't have the same screen real estate as other phones which have mandatory touchscreen dialers.

So basically it's not a "free" option.
    Right. Never thought about that.

@ Oniberry , I was just wondering why you thought it was terrible, but I completely understand your argument about the dialpad on the 9900 and also agree about the kb being big enough. If I had the 9900 , not sure I would use the touchscreen that much aside when browsing/scrolling.

09-01-11 08:34 PM
    Yeah I doubt many would, because you can dial from universal search which doesn't even require launching the phone app...
    09-01-11 08:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD