hey, BTW....what about that guy that was posting all those vids about "unboxing my new Onyx9020" and bla bla bla.......
    that thing had a roller ball..... what's the dealeeo with that!!??
    08-14-09 05:41 PM
    Trackpads rule !!!
    08-14-09 06:31 PM
    I have to actually try the trackpad out myself but it looks like it can work better than the trackball. However, I prefer how the trackball looks like better than the trackpad.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-09 07:58 PM
    hey, BTW....what about that guy that was posting all those vids about "unboxing my new Onyx9020" and bla bla bla.......
    that thing had a roller ball..... what's the dealeeo with that!!??
    That was before the Onyx pre-production units switched to the trackpad. Now all of them have the trackpad IIRC.
    08-14-09 08:34 PM
    I stopped by a t-mo store today to check out an 8520 with the trackpad. I was extremely underwhelmed. The assembly felt loose and wobbly; if you swipe your finger quickly enough, it actually makes an annoying noise. The responsiveness of the pad was spotty as well, even after adjusting it in the settings. With the trackball you can "feel" out the necessary amount of rotation to select with precision, but this was difficult if not impossible with the pad. I know some of these issues may be chalked up to the fact that it was a demo phone that lots of people have handled, but it appeared brand new and in mint condition, as if it had just been put out there. I think I actually prefer the ball.
    08-14-09 10:18 PM
    i tried out the trackpad and i liked it for the most part...but i have to agree that it feels incredibly cheap
    08-14-09 10:46 PM
    I am concerned that the track pad surface will wear out after constant use. I wonder how long it will take to start to see wear and tear results.

Also, a friend of mine played with an 8520 and said that the track pad is great overall, but whenever there were slow downs on the bberry (doing too many things at once, large apps, etc...) using the track pad become really tedious and frustrating! My question is, will the track pad in fact hinder users from being able to use the bberry during lags and slow-downs?
    08-15-09 04:52 AM
    I'm concerned that it's slightly too awesome.
    That's what people keep saying about me.

08-15-09 05:39 AM
    pros take the cons in this for me. i'll just need to have some kleenex close by for my sweaty monster hands. maybe theres an app for that
    08-15-09 07:56 AM
    From what I've read the trackpad is GREAT.
    I originally too had concerns, I thought going away from the trackball was a horrid idea. Then I came to a realization.
    It's like taking the feel of control in a touch phone while still having the great BB keyboard.
    MAN I'm excited for this device!
    08-15-09 08:38 AM
    Would the trackpad work with plastic over it, like a waterproof cover or does it only work on touching it with your finger?

That's one problem I have with the ball.

08-15-09 02:08 PM
    Something to consider, the 8520 is considered to be an entry level device. I don't think the 8310 trackball is as accurate as the trackball on the bold. So perhaps the 9700 will have a higher end feel?
    08-16-09 12:45 AM
    I wasn't very happy to see that the 9700 was going to be released with the trackpad after using the samsung one to be honest. I guess it will be one of thoughs things I will have to get used to with the new device, that and a smaller screen. :/

08-16-09 11:11 AM
    The trackpad solves two of the biggest hardware issues that appear in these forums. Dirty trackballs and ones that wear out.The trackpad looks more professional and there is not the grinding noise that is a holdover from the trackwheel.Oh...I forgot...you can't customize the color of a trackpad...Oh no!!!
    08-16-09 11:51 AM
    I haven't heard any complains about the trackpad yet but I'll have to be my own judge of it. I need to gets my hands on a Onyx or 8520 asap!
    08-16-09 01:09 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD