I have a question that I have not seen addressed, forgive me if it has. I regularly do battery pulls during the course of the day--sometimes as many as 6 a day. This seems to clean things up, and the device gets faster. My memory always seems to run low, despite my best efforts of deleting as much as I can. The question is, can this be harmful to my device long term?
    I am quite reliant on my Bold and do not want to cause any damage.
    Thanks in advance
    06-23-09 06:05 AM
    it shouldn' cause any damage. It's the first troubleshooting step suggested by everyone who is familiar with blackberries. I'm a new BB user myself and the Bold is my first (an i'm sure won't be my last) BB. If you're memory keeps on running low you might have an intense program running in the background. make sure to close all apps that you do not intend to use or else they could suck down your memory. Also. what OS are you using? because the best ones so far are 4.6.0.266 and 4.6.0.282
    06-23-09 06:12 AM
    It will put a lot of wear on the hardware. I would explore why you are having memory issues. You should never have to do battery pulls.
    06-23-09 06:16 AM
    That is way too many pulls. If your memory is running low, batt pulls are just a quick fix. The problem is still there.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-09 06:16 AM
    i only do a reboot once every few days. i agree with the above, try to find the source of your problems instead of putting a bandaid on the issue.
    06-23-09 06:23 AM
    why do u do that it is not even required i do it once or twice a week.
    06-23-09 06:50 AM
    I have a question that I have not seen addressed, forgive me if it has. I regularly do battery pulls during the course of the day--sometimes as many as 6 a day. This seems to clean things up, and the device gets faster. My memory always seems to run low, despite my best efforts of deleting as much as I can. The question is, can this be harmful to my device long term?
    I am quite reliant on my Bold and do not want to cause any damage.
    Thanks in advance
    Do you have too many apps running in the background? If there are any apps other than browser / bbm / phone / messages / home, close them by selecting the "close" option from the menu. Also, turn OFF the "Automatic Update" feature of any applications.

Checkout this : How to free memory on your blackberry

What OS are you on?
    06-23-09 06:53 AM
    Use the Alt+escape (key to the right of the trackball) to see what is running. You should only have 5 things listed. Messages, phone, browser, blackberry messages and home. Sounds like you have a bunch of extra stuff running. 6 times per day is way too many. I restart mine onece every 2-3 days.

06-23-09 06:53 AM
    Ok, I can't agree with only having 5 things running, after all I also have instango, berryweather, viigo and ubertwitter running at all times. Still I come anywhere close to seeing degraded performance on the device, really you just need to find a balance that works for you. I do agree though that there is a problem if you have to do a pull more than every few days, hope you can find your problem.
    06-23-09 07:15 AM
    Eh, it depends on what else you're running. And yes, I know about the memory leak from Viigo, but there are still sometimes its not the end of the world to leave it running. For example, I leave it running overnight so I can glance over my feeds first thing in the morning. Still, after that, I make sure that an exit is just that. Each to their own I suppose.
    06-23-09 08:24 AM
    If I have my device on auto on/off--does that simulate a batt pull?
    06-23-09 08:32 AM
    If I have my device on auto on/off--does that simulate a batt pull?
    No, it does not. If that's what you are looking for, try Quickpull.
    06-23-09 08:34 AM
    I agree with the Quickpull solution. I schedule my Bold for a quickpull every night around 3 AM. With an Otterbox, a true battery pull is a p.i.t.a(nkle).
    06-23-09 08:48 AM
    I never leave my bold on all the time,I shut it off every night when I go to bed,I guess that's the same as a battery pull when I turn it back on when use it during the day?
    06-23-09 08:56 AM
    I never leave my bold on all the time,I shut it off every night when I go to bed,I guess that's the same as a battery pull when I turn it back on when use it during the day?
    Not really. Off for a Bold seems to be more like hibernation.
    06-23-09 08:59 AM
    The device is actually running even if you select Full Power Off.
    I normally remove the battery to take out the SIM card to use in my 3G modem daily. So far its not caused anything unwanted yet. Comments appreciated?

06-23-09 09:05 AM
    Thank you to all for answering!
    I should also inform you all that I do no run Viigo
    this is my 3rd bold due--memory leak previously
    I am on BES/BIS
    Content store issue? If I delete Many messages, it seems to help the device out for a few days
    I am running 4.6.167--and its on 24/7
    I have a memory card which holds pics
    this ihas been the biggest complaint--otherwise, its a wonderful device
    06-24-09 05:37 AM
    Just properly close your apps, run the memory cleaner, clear the log file from time to time, make sure no apps are constantly updating, etc. The only times I restart my device are when I'm required to after upgrading/uninstalling software, and my phone stays plenty quick, I seem to hover around 40MB free.

I can't remember my last physical battery pull. My battery door is creaky enough as it is, thanks!
    06-24-09 06:09 AM
    I will try to be diligent about closing apps. The best memory I can get seems to be around 30 mbs--done by deleting all emails from handheld
    06-24-09 09:15 AM
    Nothing wrong with that. Anything above 20 is fine.
    06-24-09 09:17 AM
    I am on BES with Google Maps, Facebook, vlingo, Pandora, BBfilescout and 3 themes and the max that I get is around 28 mb.

I have all music and picture files saved to my memory card.

Mine is usually down to about 18 mb after 2 days. I just make sure that I close the apps.
    06-24-09 09:34 AM
    why do you guys do batterypulls ? :x my bold is fine without restarts
    06-24-09 10:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD