When it comes to smartphones, I always used android, and not for the "apps" but out of fear to try something new. About half a year ago I bought new android phone (Xiaomi Redmi Note 3), and I am starting to think that it was a mistake. Phone runs great for the most of the time but it is too big for my hands, and now after my third android phone I realized that me and a touch keyboard do not agree at all. My typing is always full of typos that I have to correct and it has become quite annoying. I also realized that I am not that crazy about the apps, basic phone use aside, I only use phone for browsing the internet, music listening, forum reading with tapatalk and occasional GPS/maps (this one is quite important for me).

Is it too late to get BlackBerry Bold 9900 in 2017? Would I be able to do those things I mentioned without problems? They go for about 55$ USD in my country, I don't feel quite comfortable buying such an old used device but I managed to find one that supposedly barely got any use and it's tempting.. If I decide on getting myself one, is there something I should be paying attention on before closing the deal?
    01-09-17 05:59 AM
    I'm not sure about tapatalk but everything else yes.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-17 06:02 AM
    When it comes to smartphones, I always used android, and not for the "apps" but out of fear to try something new. About half a year ago I bought new android phone (Xiaomi Redmi Note 3), and I am starting to think that it was a mistake. Phone runs great for the most of the time but it is too big for my hands, and now after my third android phone I realized that me and a touch keyboard do not agree at all. My typing is always full of typos that I have to correct and it has become quite annoying. I also realized that I am not that crazy about the apps, basic phone use aside, I only use phone for browsing the internet, music listening, forum reading with tapatalk and occasional GPS/maps (this one is quite important for me).

Is it too late to get BlackBerry Bold 9900 in 2017? Would I be able to do those things I mentioned without problems? They go for about 55$ USD in my country, I don't feel quite comfortable buying such an old used device but I managed to find one that supposedly barely got any use and it's tempting.. If I decide on getting myself one, is there something I should be paying attention on before closing the deal?
    Or wait for mercury. It's android with a physical keyboard
    01-09-17 06:04 AM
    @The Commander, I don't want android. I actually want to distance myself from it.
    01-09-17 06:06 AM
    i would never get a bbos 7 device. It is heavily reliant on BIS which can be shut down at anytime. Browser is not very robust in todays world and the OS is not supported anymore either
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    01-09-17 06:20 AM
    ...I realized that me and a touch keyboard do not agree at all. My typing is always full of typos that I have to correct and it has become quite annoying. I also realized that I am not that crazy about the apps, basic phone use aside, I only use phone for browsing the internet, music listening, forum reading with tapatalk and occasional GPS/maps (this one is quite important for me).

Is it too late to get BlackBerry Bold 9900 in 2017?
    I use a Passport SE and a Bold 9900. A few years ago, I was seduced by a big, bright AMOLED screen into buying a Sammy Android; a year later, I bought another 9900 and dropped the Sammy in a desk drawer -- the typing experience was driving me nuts, and I use my phone extensively for written communication.

When the Z10 came out, I surprised myself by giving it a try: BlackBerry's take on the virtual kb was (even then) amazingly effective.

There isn't a good browser for the 9900 -- if internet browsing is a big deal for you, you can't use the Bold as your "one and only" phone. There is a turn-by-turn app -- just one, as far as I a know -- for the Bold, but I've not given it a try: If I need turn-by-turn, I use the Passport.

My point: The Bold typing experience is superb, but it's not the only pkb alternative; and further, if you want a single device for all of the above activities, including browsing and navigation, the Bold will frustrate you.

As a conveniently-sized, non-Android alternative, I've never read a single bad thing about the Classic.

"I say this with all the love in the world" for the Bold, which I use for very specific situations, e.g. bike rides and the gym (Passport too large) or often when I'm wearing a suit (the Bold fits nicely in the pants pocket and has a certain "accessory elegance" hah hah).

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    01-09-17 09:34 AM
    I couldn't in good conscious recommend either BB10 or BBOS in 2017. Both are legacy OSes. It's one thing if you currently use one or the other, and wish to ride it out to the bitter end, but its quite another to advocate a new investment in either platform.

BlackBerry has brought a slightly different flavour to Android with its app suite (of which a good deal of it is exclusive to BlackBerry Android devices).

I would seriously look at the Mercury.

Avenzuno likes this.
    01-09-17 09:37 AM
    Another android is out of the question. Mercury is over my budget anyway.
    01-09-17 10:41 AM
    They haven't announced the price yet.

If you want a pkb and don't want Android, then you are left with BB10. You have to question your investment in a legacy OS if you do this.
    01-09-17 10:46 AM
    Check if you have BIS available with your carrier, since BBOS is still handcuffed to it.

If you don't have BIS, no 9900 for you, unless you plan on just burning $55 US for a phone that does nothing.

If you do have BIS, still, don't get one. That you listed web browsing as important is reason enough (seriously, BBOS browser is just bad).

If it must have a physical keyboard, and if it has to be something other than Android, then your only options are BB10 devices. I personally don't recommend those either, unless workarounds and hacks are your idea of a fun time. This puts you in a bit of a conundrum.
    01-09-17 10:47 AM
    Use a Q5 or Q10. If apps don't matter much then you're golden.

And if you're willing to put in somewhat significant effort with searching for older APK versions and doing patching, you can get almost any app you want anyway.

But just don't expect it to work perfectly out of the box.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-17 10:49 AM
    Everything above is 100% true. Yet, for SOME of us, other truths are even more relevant. If single handed typing precision is a priority, 9900 is THE master of that. In the opinion of at least some of us, around here. An experience you might even one day regret passing by, once gone. Lol.

BIS will die off, some day. Which day? My crystal ball is just as foggy as everyone else's. I truly doubt BB themselves can set a date certain. We've been hearing of BIS's impending demise since a RIM coceo stupidly announced BBOS sunset about a month after 9900 was introduced... 5+yrs ago. Lol.

Each year, we hear it will be THIS year. And it might well be this year. Maybe even this afternoon, for all any of us know. Or three more years?? Idk. Not enuff Windex for MY crystal ball, at least. Lol.

All that said, there are ways to keep 9900 limping along without BIS. See the sticky at top of 9900 forum. Not for the faint of heart but not beyond efforts some enthusiasts are willing to expend. Fwiw.

9900's native browser is getting more "clunky" each year. Sometimes troublesome websites will work on Opera Mini or UC. Other times I might be forced into a more modern secondary carry device. Typically my Classic, since I value its single handed competency. That's not to say that 9900 browsing is uselessly troublesome. It's perfectly convenient for 90% of basic browsing I do. Including youtube, etc. Some youtubes don't play. Ebay needs the ebay app. Etc. I like Opera on 99 better than Classic's native for Amazon browsing and for lag-free typing while posting on CB.

As previously alluded, the OS and browser haven't been updated for 3 years now. At least there's no update drama to look forward to. Lol. BUT browser security might be questionable. I, personally, do NO financial activities on my 9900. I've never heard of anyone who's ever heard of anyone who's claimed a validated case of security issues but... I reserve financial activities for one of my more modern "secondary carry" devices. Usually Classic but also Passport & Z30. I've also started toying with carting around a secondary Dtek60 but haven't yet trusted it with financial activities.

I find the dual carry concept to be VERY useful. 9900 is with me 100% of the time. BB10 stuff is with me about 10% of the time. Depending on need. I really like Classic/9900 combo for simultaneous dual use, one in each hand. Classic being the most single handed friendly of BB10, imo. Wondrously WONDERFUL for checking calendar, updating contacts, checking messages, shooting off messages to coworkers & clients, browsing, updating spreadsheets, looking up maps, etc, etc, thru one device in one hand while talking or messaging thru second device in the other hand! Truly a powerful combo!! Passport and z30 swap out for Classic sometimes, depending on expected need for the day.

Still learning Dtek60 but find the thing cognitively exhausting after a hard day of coaxing the thing to do what I want to get done. Sort of like herding cats all day.... Lol. Definitely not single handed friendly, imo. Still learning tho. Mercury is definitely in my future, fwiw.

If you can afford it, I'd recommend keeping your existing device while experimenting with 99. Thats what I did and wound up "discovering" the value of dual carry. . Will likely carry 99 long after BIS just as data entry handset, or pocket calendar, if nothing else.

Also, BBMaps still works acceptably on my 9930. Use it all the time. Just this morning. Frequently along side gps on my secondary carry. I like 99's north up map view as a second opinion.

Keep in mind 99 is a 5 year old device that never really was "consumer" oriented. Using it these days isn't "consumer" simple. Lol.
    If you do take the plunge, prepare to be forever smitten by 9900's enchanting charms. . I'll likely carry 99 long after BIS just as data entry handset, or pocket calendar, if nothing else.

Btw, I've typed this post on 99 exclusively in left hand. No auto-anything. I'm not even going to proof read. Let me know if you find typos.
    01-09-17 10:59 AM
    Is $55USD a large amount in your country? If not, it might be worth a try. I still use a 9900 no problem.

Of the things you mentioned, if you are used to recent Android, you will be disappointed with GPS maps and general Web browsing. Other things work fine, but as someone else mentioned, dependence on BIT might be a problem in your country.

For a nice small phone with keyboard, get a Q10. No issues browsing or using many decent map apps. Can even load many Android apps if native BB10 one doesn't exist.

Some people complain about lack of WhatsApp, but you didn't have that on your list of things you needed. Some people are very pessimistic it seems, but if the phone does what you need right now, it isn't going to stop working any time soon and it's probably more secure than and 'droid phone anyways. I dunno why people feel the need to drop your current phone if all you need is basic messaging, Internet and maps. Most people in the world are NOT running phones released in the past 2 years.
    David Tyler likes this.
    01-09-17 05:49 PM
    I couldn't in good conscious recommend either BB10 or BBOS in 2017.
    Respectfully, and given OP's boundary conditions, I don't have any problem recommending a BlackBerry 10 device. BlackBerry 10 is a superb OS, and I don't use many apps beyond those included with the phone. Neutron Music Player is updated frequently. I can't remember the last update for BeWeather Pro or BeMaps Pro, but they work just great -- contrary to posters implying BlackBerry 10 apps are somehow slowly dying. Remember works fine, as well.

One app I used on my Z30 that simply isn't supported for BlackBerry 10 anymore is NHL Game Center. Also, BlackBerry World long ago stopped selling / renting media. To address those issues and to accommodate other "fluff" apps, I bought a used iPad mini. I don't keep any contact or other PID on it, so it's great for the few non-BlackBerry apps I use and for streaming in-flight entertainment on long flights.
    01-09-17 06:29 PM
    ...If single handed typing precision is a priority, 9900 is THE master of that.
    You can't do that on a Passport, for sure.

BIS will die off, some day. Which day? My crystal ball is just as foggy as everyone else's. I truly doubt BB themselves can set a date certain. We've been hearing of BIS's impending demise since a RIM coceo stupidly announced BBOS sunset about a month after 9900 was introduced...
    I think that might be your one typo, Steve.

I find the dual carry concept to be VERY useful. 9900 is with me 100% of the time. BB10 stuff is with me about 10% of the time.
    I'm using the Passport around 80% of the time, but I use the Bold nearly every day. I agree with Steve, however: I've given up trying to find "the perfect single device." I thought the Z30 was pretty close, but they never made one for AT&T's LTE network, and, as noted above, it has the same shortcomings as any other BlackBerry 10 device. I'd have never "opened the Android door" if it had been me -- I mean, really; can you trust a guy (Ron Louks) who can't even be troubled to put on a necktie..? -- but John Chen never called to ask my opinion.
    01-09-17 06:44 PM
    Respectfully, and given OP's boundary conditions, I don't have any problem recommending a BlackBerry 10 device. BlackBerry 10 is a superb OS, and I don't use many apps beyond those included with the phone. Neutron Music Player is updated frequently. I can't remember the last update for BeWeather Pro or BeMaps Pro, but they work just great -- contrary to posters implying BlackBerry 10 apps are somehow slowly dying. Remember works fine, as well.

One app I used on my Z30 that simply isn't supported for BlackBerry 10 anymore is NHL Game Center. Also, BlackBerry World long ago stopped selling / renting media. To address those issues and to accommodate other "fluff" apps, I bought a used iPad mini. I don't keep any contact or other PID on it, so it's great for the few non-BlackBerry apps I use and for streaming in-flight entertainment on long flights.
    That's why I made a distinction between new entrants to the BB10 ecosystem versus people already here and happy.

Recommending to someone to spend hard earned cash on a platform that is essentially EOL, is very risky. Sure it may work out, but it likely won't.

Btw, I had NHL Gamecentre working fine. I'll check it again.
    01-09-17 06:44 PM
    Btw, I had NHL Gamecentre working fine. I'll check it again.
    Hmmm... On my Z30, it wasn't updating the calendar for the new season, and I can't even find it in BlackBerry World on my Passport.
    01-09-17 06:50 PM
    Recommending to someone to spend hard earned cash on a platform that is essentially EOL, is very risky. Sure it may work out, but it likely won't.
    Exactly -- I'm trying to be really up-front with OP and not gloss over anything.
    01-09-17 06:52 PM
    Hmmm... On my Z30, it wasn't updating the calendar for the new season, and I can't even find it in BlackBerry World on my Passport.
    The latest Android app v8.3.0 works perfectly when patched.
    Is it too late...?-img_20170109_202510.png

DTEK60 / Z30
    01-09-17 07:26 PM

I think that might be your one typo, Steve.

Haha... Actually, coceo = co-CEO. Laziness on my part. .
    David Tyler likes this.
    01-09-17 09:42 PM
    The latest Android app v8.3.0 works perfectly when patched.
    Got it. I've never tried to put any Android apps on my Passport (never really motivated) -- but thanks.
    01-09-17 09:59 PM
    That looks way nicer than the native BlackBerry 10 version ever was on my Z30!
    01-09-17 10:00 PM
    That looks way nicer than the native BlackBerry 10 version ever was on my Z30!
    I'm sure. The joys of actual app development.
    01-09-17 10:24 PM
    Still IRKS me when people say "the browser is no good." For what I do its perfect, and with NO LAG as one mentioned. I have made vids where it matches ths speed of my iphone neck and neck and in some cases faster, because there is no bloat to load on it.

For a serious no nonsense browser for Google searches, Youtube, Twitter, Facebook, IG, and mail notifications still come in before my ipad Air (which I have noticed no slowdown on either) its great.

I have used my 9900 to completely replace my iPhone, and for months at a time in the last year. It did everything my 9780 did in 2011 but much faster.

People are not mentioning WHY you would still want to use such an old and supposedly decrepid browser, and the answer is simple, because of the amazing device, period.

When I get a message on my iphone or have to search something, it is like work! Trying to hit the teeny tiny buttons, even voice to text is a nightmare sometimes. However when you hit a key on that 9900 and you hear that positive "CLICK" that is akin to snapping icicles between your fingers, it is ACCURATE and GRATIFYING and most importantly.....FUN!

With millions still using these globally and being in Canada I am not at all concerned about BIS being canned, not for quite a while imo. That data compression really saves the day of you are only allowed say.....500 MB's or a Gig a month. Blackberry hasn't canned BIS, not like Zuckerberg canned Whatsapp for BBOS. That ain't Blackberry's style, not by a long shot. Quite the irony actually, especially since Zuck COULD keep WA open to older platforms since the infrastructure is already there and all the code is written, and the profits FB makes being astronomical and Blackberry Legacy devices HELPING to make Facebook big in the past when it was starting up, but we can't have that now can we.

I can see individual US cellular carriers cancelling BIS availability, (and it is happening) but as for BlackBerry, not for a very long time. It would be detrimental to keeping half of their customers in action.

And for the record I "was late" buying one a year ago and do not regret it. Just depends on your needs....

Don't cry for me Argentina..

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 01-10-17 at 02:47 AM.
    idssteve likes this.
    01-10-17 02:00 AM
    Well I just got off the phone with my carrier, they don't have or support BIS for quite some time now.. It's such a shame.. I looked at the other 2 carriers that we have and they still have BIS but it costs an extra 11$ and I would only get 30MB of data. It appears that everything is working against my BlackBerry happiness
    01-10-17 05:22 AM
203 123 ...