I love my Blackberry Bold (despite only having had it for about 10 minutes) but I am slightly staggered that it suffers the same problem as my 8320.

To turn it off you need to hold the power button, but to turn it on you only have to press it! I can't be the only one that finds this annoying?
    I find if I go to the Theatre I have to leave the phone on silent instead of turning it off, as I get worried it will turn back on in my pocket!

I suspect that the answer to my question is NO - but here goes:
    Can this be changed? Can I make it so that I need to hold the button to turn it on?
    Or - does anyone have any ideas - like how they get round this problem?

Gussington
    08-17-09 09:37 AM
    Lock your keys. That way, even it it's on, you won't accidentally press any buttons.
    08-17-09 09:54 AM
    That doesn't make sense:
    I want to stop from turning it on by mistake - not turning it off!

You can't lock the keys while it is turned off!
    08-17-09 10:02 AM
    You could put it in standby by holding the mute key down (or by purchasing AutoStandby from the Crackberry store). The device won't turn on per se (at least not with any key except the phone buttons, and even then, it prompts you to hit the mute key again to exit standby mode and quickly turns off again), and you don't run the risk of accidentally dialing the emergency number with just a keypad lock (like I've done a couple of times).
    08-17-09 10:11 AM
    Whats the issue with turning it to silent?
    I would've also suggested the same as RR- Locking the keyboard or standby. But since that doesn't make sense to you, I can only suggest taking the battery out. Problem solved.
    08-17-09 10:16 AM
    But with standby on you will still receive calls and use battery.

I am just frustrated that it is so easy to turn on!
    08-17-09 10:18 AM
    Whats the issue with turning it to silent?
    I would've also suggested the same as RR- Locking the keyboard or standby. But since that doesn't make sense to you, I can only suggest taking the battery out. Problem solved.
    +1

Or trade it for a BB Flip
    08-17-09 10:19 AM
    or turn it off and put it in a sleeve in your pocket...that's what i do. or i put it on quiet so it doesn't make noise or vibrate.
    08-17-09 10:21 AM
    Looks like putting it on silent and then in standby is my best bet then.

Just a shame that RIM can't design a phone that doesn't turn on by mistake the whole time! I love my Blackberry - but it is the only phone I have ever had that has this problem!
    08-17-09 10:24 AM
    I can't be the only one that finds this annoying?
    Sounds like your the only one so far...i dont have an issue with it...if im at the cinema then i just put the phone into silent or keep it in the pouch thereby sending it into standby mode..if i get calls or texts they arent audible as i dont hear them although my phone will vibrate 3 times but thats not such a problem.
    08-17-09 10:26 AM
    While I understand that people are part of this forum because they adore Blackberry's - surely that doesn't mean that you have to ignore faults with them?

I personally find the pouch makes the phone too large for my pocket:
    Can you not see that in this case having an on button that only needs a slight push as a pretty/completely stupid idea!?
    08-17-09 10:36 AM
    Ignore the faults? My friend, I own a Storm...there is no way to deny the faults associated with my phone. However, with the ability to lock keys or put the phone into stand-by mode, I don't see the ability to turn the phone on by simply presssing the button a "fault".
    08-17-09 10:41 AM
    +1

Or trade it for a BB Flip
    +2

I never turn it off and in the movies I just put it on silent or stand by and that do the trick

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-09 10:52 AM
    The only time i turn mine off is when im on a plane. I do worry sometime... But always turn the network connection off before, so if the phone is on wont be that much prob.
    08-18-09 05:13 AM
    Who on earth ACTUALLY turns off their phone at the movies, or anywhere.

Other than in planes, all they're asking is to silence your ringer.

All this shows is that the BB is obviously a good device if you have to resort to complaining about the power button.

08-18-09 06:57 AM
    I have never turned mine off so I don't have that problem.

08-18-09 07:17 AM
    Looks like putting it on silent and then in standby is my best bet then.

Just a shame that RIM can't design a phone that doesn't turn on by mistake the whole time! I love my Blackberry - but it is the only phone I have ever had that has this problem!
    RIM aims for up time on thier phones. just because its so easy to turn on doesn't make it a downfall. simple fix.....from the home screen press "F" scroll down to "Off" and select it, problem solved. plus, not it wont take ten minutes to reboot the off or silent mood is SOOO much easier than turning the device off
    08-18-09 07:38 AM
    turn it off and put it in a holster and it wont turn on, i usually put my phone on silent and leave it in my pocket, not an issue at all
    08-18-09 07:45 AM
    Well I am one of those that have this issue, I was out and turned my phone off to save battery power and I gave it to my girl to put in her purse, when all was said and done and she pulled out my phone to give it back to me, it was on and was displaying low battery. Something in her bag must have tapped the power button and turned on the phone and wasted my battery all night. So yes, it can be an issue sometimes. I agree that it should take the same keypress time to turn it on as it does to turn it off.
    08-18-09 02:08 PM
    i always put mine on silent for the movies. Unless it is a 3 hour movie then i might shut it off to save battery life
    08-18-09 04:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD