Problem, though probably addressed somewhere, so sorry......left this AM for Chicago....one hour time difference from NY. BB's don't automatically change the time as cell phones do, you need to go into tools and change to appropriate time zone. Problem is, and you all probably know, the appointments in BB calendar change by one hour as well. How do you change the time zone and leave the appointments in their original time zone? I guess you can change the time manually, but is there a setting or such that I am missing? Thanks for timely response.
    05-30-09 03:57 PM
    i know that if you have your time set up on the carrier network time, it changes time zones accordingly. as far as the calendar thing idk how to do that
    05-30-09 04:01 PM
    Even if you setup your Berry to do Network time it will not update when you go to another time zone.
    05-30-09 06:22 PM
    The answer required is probably in this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/expl...e-zones-46190/

The behavior the OP describes is WAD. If you are in your California office and set a reminder to "phone Joe at 5pm Wednesday" then move to NY, your reminder will adjust so you still remember to call Joe at the agreed time and you don't get him out of bed a few hours early.

If you travel regularly probably need to set the time zone for the appointment. If you miss this an appointment set ahead for when you reach a different zone will be incorrect. User Learning Issue.

For the record there are several differnet ways this is handled by various software. All are correct, none are perfect. The user simply needs to understand how the software is designed to work.
    05-31-09 08:01 AM
    To give me two since about this and what I have seen. I live in one time zone and go to school in another so I switch zones all the time. I found if you put all the appointments and to-do list things in the phone when you are in timezone A and then reload the OS of the phone on a computer that is set to timezone B it will change the time zone of the bb clock to B but all your appointments and to-do list items stay set in time zone A. Now doing this cause some other problems like all day event then become longer by one hour so they stretch into the next day.
    05-31-09 08:10 AM
    The answer required is probably in this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/expl...e-zones-46190/

The behavior the OP describes is WAD. If you are in your California office and set a reminder to "phone Joe at 5pm Wednesday" then move to NY, your reminder will adjust so you still remember to call Joe at the agreed time and you don't get him out of bed a few hours early.

If you travel regularly probably need to set the time zone for the appointment. If you miss this an appointment set ahead for when you reach a different zone will be incorrect. User Learning Issue.

For the record there are several differnet ways this is handled by various software. All are correct, none are perfect. The user simply needs to understand how the software is designed to work.
    Great answer Branta.

I am in Central Time zone and I sometimes go to the Eastern Time zone for a week. I will usually have 30 Eastern Time zone appointments that I made while in Central Time Zone. While in Eastern Time zone I leave my phone on Central Time so my appointments are all correct. I am just curious how others handle this (which is what the OP was originally asking). I know I can make the appointments all one hour later (so they read properly when I get there) but that is also confusing when making appointments.
    Last edited by tellsells; 05-31-09 at 08:31 AM.
    05-31-09 08:11 AM

Thanks for the assist all. I knew this is the way it works, I was just wondering if in all the gazillion addons available there wasn't a solution of sorts other than moving to time zone you are going to and adding the appts. Seems like something Rim would work on, millions of business travelers would buy it, I'm a fairly good programmer, can't imagine they couldn't put software in that would shift the appts. by the number of hours the time zone is different from home zone. In the meantime, question answered. Thank you.
    05-31-09 08:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD