Try this: Wipe your phone clean (under Security Options) and leave Wi-Fi off. Or simply turn off your Wi-Fi.

I'm not sure if it was certain 3rd party software or the Wi-Fi that was making my signal fluctuate (0 bars to visible bars) constantly leading to more dropped/missed calls.

Yeah I know it's pretty ridiculous having to set Wi-Fi off but it worked for me, so far. I've being keeping an eye on my phone for that last few hours and my phone hasn't seen 0 bars since I restored and leaving Wi-Fi off.
    Last edited by BB.David; 06-29-10 at 02:09 AM.
    06-29-10 02:03 AM
    How come crackberry or no other site has made this problem aware. Apple sites had made there signal issue aware first day and we're a more then a month in and we're still suffering.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-10 06:46 AM
    Probably cause the "problem" isn't as wide spread. My 9650 works great with the wifi on.

06-29-10 06:56 AM
    Pretty sure it's the Radio SFI file that is part of the OS....

Different OS's in the past resulted in good and bad radio connections....
    06-29-10 07:09 AM
    That's the first thing I noticed - dropped and missed calls, something I never had with the 8330.
    06-29-10 09:21 AM
    mine is doing the same thing. i don't have coverage in areas that i always had coverage with the 8330. other than that the phone is much better in every respect.
    06-29-10 09:27 AM
    Signal on the tour fluctuated massively and the Signal for the Bold Fluctuates. Par for the course I guess. I don't have Wifi turned on on mine so as least for me its doesn't seem the be the Wifi. I only turn the wifi on when I need it to save battery.
    06-29-10 10:30 AM
    +1

add 10 char
    Signal on the tour fluctuated massively and the Signal for the Bold Fluctuates. Par for the course I guess. I don't have Wifi turned on on mine so as least for me its doesn't seem the be the Wifi. I only turn the wifi on when I need it to save battery.
    06-29-10 04:16 PM
    Ok... about 24 hours after I turned Wi-Fi off I realized that wasn't the problem.

I tested my Bold in different areas and still fluctuated out of control. I still don't know if this is hardware problem or a software problem but couldn't wait as I was around the 27th day with my Bold. I ended up returning it back to Verizon (online)... ended up going back to a dumbphone as it was my only backup!
    06-30-10 12:01 AM
    Major Fluctuating signal droped calls/ calls breaking up bad internet connection
    never had a problem with curve either. 1 or 2
    Cleveland ohio
    06-30-10 12:21 AM
    I took mine back and they replaced with new and still the same problems. Trying to tell me its the towers
    06-30-10 12:25 AM
    I took mine back and they replaced with new and still the same problems. Trying to tell me its the towers
    Verizon told you is the towers?

In my case it's definitely not the network because we have a Droid and does not even fluctuate half as much as the Bold. Either a software bug on .732 or the Bold has a weak radio signal.
    06-30-10 01:18 AM
    Visited a Verizon store last week in NJ. Looked at the signal strengh for 1 minute at the phones on display. Only the Bold had drastic changes. From zero to four then one and back to four.
    06-30-10 01:26 AM
    Verizon told you is the towers?

In my case it's definitely not the network because we have a Droid and does not even fluctuate half as much as the Bold. Either a software bug on .732 or the Bold has a weak radio signal.
    I have the same problem. But, even with no bars, I can still make and receive calls and when I do, the signal immediately pops up. Turning off wifi seems to cure the problem. I also keep the radio locked to the CDMA signal. It is easiest enough to switch when I travel internationally.

Why can't RIM get this right? I though all the signal problems were with AT&T and the iPhone.

I hope a new OS can fix this.
    06-30-10 07:04 AM
    VZW tech support told me it was device related. My signal is fluctuating on my 9630/5.0.0.732. i wiped and reloaded, *228, re-registered HRT. Nothing worked. i could get a replacement Tour but i bet it will do the same.

Must be the OS...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/sig...5-bars-484066/

06-30-10 07:15 AM
    1. this happens on sprint 9650 and verizon 9650, so its not the towers or the network...

2. it doesnt happen on other phones, so its the phone...

3. turning wifi off doesnt help..

4. wiping the phone and doing a clean install is cliutching at straws.... a new phone HAS a clean install.......

5. so, given that its the phone, and YOU cant fix it then there clearly is an issue with the radio files in the OS..

hope and pray its on the bug fix list at RIM but if you cant deal with it, get a different phone... as returning and getting replacement phones is silly .... ya really think that will work?.. i mean, same phone, same OS.. guess what?.. same result.
    06-30-10 08:43 AM
    I have the same problem. But, even with no bars, I can still make and receive calls and when I do, the signal immediately pops up. Turning off wifi seems to cure the problem. I also keep the radio locked to the CDMA signal. It is easiest enough to switch when I travel internationally.

Why can't RIM get this right? I though all the signal problems were with AT&T and the iPhone.

I hope a new OS can fix this.
    Your lucky my signal actually drops when I make a call.

hope and pray its on the bug fix list at RIM but if you cant deal with it, get a different phone... as returning and getting replacement phones is silly .... ya really think that will work?.. i mean, same phone, same OS.. guess what?.. same result.
    Don't know, I wouldn't hold my breath. Considering it was a problem over the whole life of the Tour and now with the Bold. It doesn't seem like its very high on their list,if at all.
    06-30-10 09:20 AM
    Ive been experiencing similar issue with two 9700's on AT&T. Fluctuating between 3G and edge (yes lower case edge) since late Friday (june 25th).

Never had issues before- solid 3G at home, during commute and work.

Could be a tower issue- Carriers don't always own towers exclusivily. In many cases carriers lease space for Antennae/repeaters on a tower and it shares space with other carriers devices and they contract the maintenance of the tower to a 3rd party. Specific issue to their respective device gets attention from a actual carrier employee.
    06-30-10 09:35 AM
    I just someone, the carriers or RIM or whoever would make a statement about it if it is something they are doing with the towers, the phone, the OS whatever.

Instead they exchange phones that does no good and say there is no problem.
    06-30-10 11:29 AM
    Instead they exchange phones that does no good and say there is no problem.
    -A lot of the customers want phone exchanges...
    -They don't really know how to troubleshoot most of the time anyways. This goes for any carrier with any phone.
    06-30-10 12:42 PM
    I live in a best coverage area right by the interstae and my bars fluctuate from full to 3 to none and it often slows down the berry and is really killing off battery life can we contact rim?
    06-30-10 12:51 PM
    -A lot of the customers want phone exchanges...
    -They don't really know how to troubleshoot most of the time anyways. This goes for any carrier with any phone.
    Of course they do but all they get is a new phone with the same issues.

Yes it is with every carrier.
    06-30-10 12:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD