With all the frustration I've (and many others) have been having with their Bold (or any BlackBerry, for that matter) in terms of having to exchance/replace/etc... I just found out that Best Buy offers an AMAZING service to cell phone purchasers!

You have the option of signing up for a monthly rate fee (charged buy Best Buy to your credit card, separate from your phone bill) which will allow you to make an UNLIMITED NUMBER OF EXCHANGES any time their is a problem with your BlackBerry - other than water damage. No sending the phone away like typical replacement plans. Walk in, walk out with a new phone.

Battery is messed, something goes wrong - anything, even outside of the manufacturers warranty - just bring it in and WALK OUT OF THE STORE with a brand new one. You can even exchange it for a new phone if you want but need to pay the difference if the new device is more expensive at full pop.

Definitely buying my next BlackBerry from Best Buy....

EDIT: I presume it is, but I'm not sure if this is available at Best Buy in the US - but it is definitely available at Best Buy Canada, Best Buy Mobile Canada, and Future Shop (owned and operated fully by Best Buy Canada).

Cheers
    05-02-09 06:41 PM
    You don't mention what they charge monthly for this service and what they charge for the bold in comparison to others.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-02-09 08:39 PM
    Hold up...... Are you saying that you're paying a monthly for your phone and then another monthly seperate from your phone to Best Buy??
    05-02-09 09:32 PM
    Yes they offer it in the us . I got the plan i pay 9.99 a month for it. Luckily I have not had to use it yet. I love my bold. I payed a hundred dollars less in best buy then i would have in any at&t store.
    05-02-09 09:51 PM
    Its called the best buy black tie service. I believe it is either 6.99 or 9.99 per month.

05-02-09 09:52 PM
    I don't believe that they would honor this. Best Buy is notorious for ripping customers off with plans like this.
    They'll be all nice when you sign up for the plan, but then they are very difficult to deal with once you actually
    have the gall to use the plan you're paying for. They will find some minor reason not to honor this plan and make you pay full price for a new phone. They are incredibly chintzy when you try to return or exchange anything.
    I trust them about as far as I can throw one of their stores.

Last edited by mathprof08; 05-02-09 at 11:23 PM.
    05-02-09 11:20 PM
    Its not a replacement plan. It's a service plan. They will send it out to the service center. It is an ADH plan, meaning any accidental damage and physical damage is covered. The only thing close to a replacement plan for phones is the iPhone plan, which you get a refurbed iPhone for as long as you keep your plan when it breaks.
    05-02-09 11:23 PM
    i also would rather deal with an att store then best buy for bb.
    05-02-09 11:49 PM
    It is true. I work at best buy and Its called PEP (product exchchange program). Its $10 a month and its charged by best buy. You could go in and get brand new replacements as many time you want. Considering its in stock that is, but then again, we get shipments in every wed, thurs, and sunday, so it usually doesn't take very long. I have this for my 8900, but since I'm an emplyoee I only pay $5 a month. Its waay worth it.

Edit: shipment days are for the store I work at, so its not for every store, but I'm sure other stores have multiple shipment days. Oh and I'm in canada
    Last edited by sanchezj; 05-03-09 at 12:04 AM.
    05-03-09 12:02 AM
    You forgot about the $125 deductible, or is that the ATT insurance? Also stock on Bolds has been very tight, around here at least. Many BBstores are out and dk when they'll get more. Said even their warehouses are out.

Also fwiw doesn't cover loss or theft.

Last edited by LuvMyBB; 05-03-09 at 01:15 AM.
    05-03-09 01:13 AM
    No deductible. Its freaking expensive. But I think its worth it

05-03-09 02:10 AM
    You guys must have loads of money. Whatever happened to taking care of your gadgets? Your going to buy the next blackberry that's going to hit the market in about 2 years anyway. You don't think you can use your phone till then without destroying it?

05-03-09 04:51 AM
    It is true. I work at best buy

Well this is good to know because normally Bestbuy and other stores sell you a warranty, they'll say just bring it in, we'll give you a new one.
    But when you actually need to replace it, they want you to leave it for a week while they repair it.

(I do understand that the policy is clear in writing but the way some employees explain it is misleading)
    05-03-09 06:37 AM
    It is true. I work at best buy and Its called PEP (product exchchange program). Its $10 a month and its charged by best buy. You could go in and get brand new replacements as many time you want. Considering its in stock that is, but then again, we get shipments in every wed, thurs, and sunday, so it usually doesn't take very long. I have this for my 8900, but since I'm an emplyoee I only pay $5 a month. Its waay worth it.

Edit: shipment days are for the store I work at, so its not for every store, but I'm sure other stores have multiple shipment days. Oh and I'm in canada

Again: What they SAY they are going to do and they actually do are two very different things.
    It sounds to me like Best Buy is looking for suckers to give them $10/mo for no reason at all.
    Don't do it.

05-03-09 08:32 AM
    It doesn't sound that much different than the "extended warranty" that Best Buy tries to push on you anytime you buy, well, anything.

If you're the kind of person who worries about this sort of thing, than maybe $10 a month is worth it to you. Otherwise, it's pretty much a giant waste.

Think about it this way: We all know Best Buy makes a TON of money off of these sort of plans. Which means that the vast majority of the people getting billed for this must be losing a TON of money. I'm sure plenty of people know someone who's expensive Berry broke within the first year, but the reality is that this is a very rare occurrence.
    05-03-09 09:28 AM
    I think Best Buy actually has a better price on the Bold, though, so it's still a better deal all around, replacement plan or no.

(I think its $299 vs. $199)

05-03-09 09:37 AM
    I don't believe that they would honor this. Best Buy is notorious for ripping customers off with plans like this.
    They'll be all nice when you sign up for the plan, but then they are very difficult to deal with once you actually
    have the gall to use the plan you're paying for. They will find some minor reason not to honor this plan and make you pay full price for a new phone. They are incredibly chintzy when you try to return or exchange anything.
    I trust them about as far as I can throw one of their stores.

AMEN to that!!!
    05-03-09 09:44 AM
    Amazon.com has had the Bold (new) for $149.99 w/ 2 year AT&T contract for months now.

If you're paying Best Buy $9.99 a month, at the end of the year you'll have spent $120 on insuring a phone that has deteriorated in value immensely by then. Not to mention the fact that Best Buy will do whatever they can to deny your claim.

I could only see doing this for a few months while the phone's value is still high and you are getting used to carrying it.
    05-03-09 10:16 AM
    I agree with whodat123. Once a phone is so old, it's not really worth paying insurance on it anyway.

05-03-09 10:22 AM
    Take the $10 per month and create your own slush fund to use if something happens to your phone. Why give it to Best Buy?

05-03-09 10:42 AM
    I've worked at Future Shop a couple of months ago and I can confirm that this is a scam.

If you come to many times to have your phone replaced the manager will come and he will not honor this warranty.
    05-03-09 11:20 AM
    Boys & girls

We r freaking stuck with 3 year contracts here. Ur Blackberry goes kaboom, your stuck with paying full pop (storm is $699) here. So to do the math, if u replaced the storm half way thru you got your monies work.
    U
    In my life I have paid for 2 different Blackberrys & have had 5 different kinds because future shop will replce mine if I had issues with plus they would not have my old model I would get the new & latest Blackberry.

There is no question about the service. I just issue with the price. That's all.

Plus the carriers offer repair warranty, leaving with a dumb fone for a month or two while they fix your fone. No exchanges with those bitches.

05-03-09 01:17 PM
    Put a case on your phone. If its a warranty issue, ATT has local warranty depots in almost every major city. For the past 2 years if I have a problem, I go in and walk out with a new phone. Never any service bs.

05-03-09 02:01 PM
    Well that is typical but you can never have too much insurance, especially when there is noooo deductible
    05-03-09 02:03 PM
    Its called black tie protection. It does cover partial water damage (as long as not all the ware sensors are triggered you're good) you don't get to exchange the phone an unlimited number of times. We will repair it up to three times or just exchange it but it still has to be sent out for repair. You get a loaner phone in the mean time. It is a pretty great protection plan though. I work there and I have it on my bold just in case.

05-03-09 02:18 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD