07-25-11 10:08 AM
75 123
tools
    I am so thoroughly disgusted with RIM I will be going to a non-Blackberry phone as soon as possible. I got the 9650 running OS5 and loved it. It was everything I needed in a phone and more. Along comes OS6, I upgrade, and it starts rebooting constantly. I contact tech support, jump through hoops after getting "gee, you're the only one" excuse, do a wipe and re-install, everything, and it keeps rebooting. I downgraded to 5 at their suggestion, and it fixed the problem. I got instructions for doing a clean install to OS6, did so, and it rebooted. I got the phone replaced with OS6 on the new phone, and it rebooted. The ONLY issue it can be is the lousy signal where I live, dropping in and out. I moved to Colorado a couple months ago, and while in Colorado, ZERO reboots, even in areas where there is no signal. Once it came back, the phone operated fine. For a month and a half while in Colorado, it operated like it used to, and never rebooted a single time. I returned to Wisconsin last Saturday, and within 24 hours, it rebooted.

FINE.

I decided to upgrade to 2333 to see if that would help anything. I just finished the upgrade, checked out several settings since RIM likes to change things without notice to a user, and everything seemed fine.

WITHIN A HALF HOUR OF UPGRADING IT REBOOTED!

RIM losing market share? Going down the tubes? Not focused on the user? Given the OS's they have released, it is no wonder an employee releases an open letter to the bosses. RIM is toast unless they do something more than write an open letter which the bosses will likely ignore...like they have the customer. For me, I could care less at this point if they are toast. I'm tired of paying for a phone that works when it wants to rather than when I need it.
    I had three 9650's on my plan and experienced the rebooting problem with all. I have read most of the threads here with regard to this problem and could not find an answer. I agree with you about comments from Sprint that you must be the only one having this issue or I have not heard of that before, incredible. After some research I decided to do some testing. It seems that the problem occurs mostly when there is little to no signal. The phone goes into ROAM and is constantly searching for its home carrier. I spoke to Sprint about this and they told me I should turn the ROAM feature off. When I told them that I didn't want to do that, they suggested an AirRave for the home to help boost the signal. I agreed and they sent one out at no charge, including no monthly fee. We have been using it and it works. However in my office there is a very weak signal and the phone does exhibit the previous behavior. I know that certain programs could cause the phone to behave this way, I am sure there is a problem when the phone continually searches for it home carrier.
    07-11-11 12:47 PM
    I'll say this: The 9650 is my 1st BB ever and I literally have had less problems with this phones than all the other phones I have had, minus 1 or 2.

My nokia flip phone was great, my palm was great and the 9650 is great. All had great battery life, great design, great oses.

I don't have any of your problems. I like os6 and I think it's pretty stable.
    07-11-11 04:07 PM
    OY! Then it isnt your phone is it. Its something else. Dont go back to Wisconsin.
    Such a helpful response. If you purchase something and it doesn't work in a specific area where it should, do you just not go back to that area?
    07-12-11 03:21 AM
    When I told them that I didn't want to do that, they suggested an AirRave for the home to help boost the signal. I agreed and they sent one out at no charge, including no monthly fee. We have been using it and it works. However in my office there is a very weak signal and the phone does exhibit the previous behavior. I know that certain programs could cause the phone to behave this way, I am sure there is a problem when the phone continually searches for it home carrier.
    Considering I have so many people calling my single number with no other contact, can you provide more information on the AirRave?

What is it? A cell signal booster?
    07-12-11 03:24 AM
    I'll say this: The 9650 is my 1st BB ever and I literally have had less problems with this phones than all the other phones I have had, minus 1 or 2.

My nokia flip phone was great, my palm was great and the 9650 is great. All had great battery life, great design, great oses.

I don't have any of your problems. I like os6 and I think it's pretty stable.
    Given your stability over many platforms, can you say what carrier you had over that time? Along with what signal strength you have in your area?

I like my BB, until it reboots and its useless for such a long time. When I was in Wisconsin (I am back in Colorado now) it rebooted several times a day, since I am back in Colorado, it has not rebooted once. In my conversations with tech support while in Wisconsin, they confirmed their signal was carried over US Cellular towers. This has always been a severe pain in Wisconsin since I cannot activate a new phone where I live because a new phone ALWAYS responds to the US Cellular network, until I have Verizon activate it remotely on their end. With the phone they sent me as a replacement, the ESN was locked into another account, so tomorrow I should be getting ANOTHER phone, and hopefully it will work.

I doubt highly it would mean anything if I went back to Wisconsin. I suspect it would reboot as usual. The Verizon store in Wisconsin was pretty quick to mention upgrade options if it continued to reboot.

Given I have been in Colorado for a month and a half with zero reboots, I doubt I will have more problems once I get the new phone activated.
    07-12-11 03:35 AM
    Considering I have so many people calling my single number with no other contact, can you provide more information on the AirRave?

What is it? A cell signal booster?
    It is a cell signal booster sold by Sprint. It will dramatically improve the signal in your home or office. It needs to be connected to the internet. I have been using it for about a month now and it works great. The installation is seamless and once it has connected you won't even know it is there. Do a google search for more info.
    07-13-11 06:45 AM
    I echo the sentiments of the OP...i'm looking to leave the BB platform...its just really frustrating with OS6 especially since i was pretty much forced to upgrade.
    07-15-11 11:21 PM
    In defence of Rim android devices have similar issues and your signal and apps can cause the rebooting. Don't get me wrong I am a android fan hoping rim comes back with a worthy device. I prefer the blackberry platform over android but until rim comes up with a decent divice I am staying put. My son has the bold and he also hasn't had any of the issues you describe.
    07-17-11 08:07 PM
    I dont think Wisconsin is to blame, but rather the carrier coverage.

I use US Cellular and no reboot issue. But then they have great coveage
    in the areas I travel.

Tim
    07-17-11 08:11 PM
    I have 3 active 9650's on Sprint in a marginal reception home area. I have not had any any reboot problems. Some other issues, yes, but compared to the other phone options out there, it's an acceptable compromise.

running OS6 - 436
    07-18-11 08:55 AM
    I agree OS5 will work, but why is an OS released if it causes such problems? I might understand a bad OS being released, but it should be fixed in the next release rather than perpetuated like it was with the latest update.

Do you still run Windows 3.11?
    There are plenty of us running BB6 on Bold 9650 without reboot issues, so it's not the OS.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 07-18-11 at 09:06 AM.
    07-18-11 09:01 AM
    There are plenty of us running BB6 on Bold 9650 without reboot issues, so it's not the OS.
    There have been several that have claimed it is not the OS, and a couple that were nothing more than smart azz remarks. For those claiming it cannot be the OS, can you PLEASE explain to me why this rebooting problem never happened on OS5 in the same coverage area?

Seriously. Read the POSTS! I never had an issue with OS5 until I upgraded to OS6. After upgrading, it started rebooting the first day. For those claiming it is the carrier, why does it happen on other carriers? A co-worked on another carrier has had the same problems.

For those on any carrier, why did it happen AGAIN after this latest update?

As posted previously, those running on OS6 that are running fine, GREAT! I'm happy for you. You may have good coverage wherever you are. If you read my previous posts, until I upgraded to OS6, my phone ran fine in Wisconsin. AFTER upgrading, it started rebooting. When moving to Colorado, it worked GREAT for a month and a half until I went back to Wisconsin and it rebooted within the first 12 hours of being back.

I am on my fourth 9650, I am back in Colorado, it HAS NOT REBOOTED since being back here. I have no doubt it will reboot once I return to Wisconsin.

Why would my phone work perfect on OS5 in Wisconsin, yet reboot on OS6?

Why would those on other carriers work fine on OS5 but reboot on OS6?

Why do carriers so readily replace phones when a customer reports rebooting?

Why would RIM release a second lousy OS where reboots are common after having previous OS's that worked great?

For those who run fine on OS6, great. Hopefully RIM will get their sh!t together and not issue an upgrade where you will have problems. Given their open letter to management, it looks less likely their future OS's will be as reliable.
    07-19-11 01:45 AM
    Just get an iphone. If it truly was a BB6 issue, it wouldn't have started back with OS5 and everyone running BB6 would have it.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 07-19-11 at 08:32 AM.
    07-19-11 08:22 AM
    I agree, there is a reboot issue issue with os6 on 9650 and 9670, and I think it is coverage related, that is why some are not experiencing it.

But I have a total of 6 bb's in my office between 9650 and 9670 and we work in fringe area, and the only user not experiencing reboots is os5 user, all os6 users are crying and ******** to me, i am the office IT guy.

This is not a solid platform. Why does the phone reboot because of bad coverage, why does reboot times take over 5 minutes, why would the device need to reboot just for installing app updates or uninstalls, why are there spinning clocks when I downloading small attachments?

These are all very serious questions we have asked, with no solution in sight from rimm. I am leaving this platform for now, and we might come back for qnx.
    07-19-11 10:34 AM
    @91Vet I just spent the last couple of weeks traveling all over Wisconsin on business to Madison, La Crosse, Eu Claire, Wausau, Green Bay, Oshkosh and Milwaukee, then back to Chicago again all by car and not one dropped call much less a reboot. There were times when I only had one bar on 1X and no 3G service, but no reboots. I have VZW service running OS6 (have been since the very first leak) and almost never experience dropped calls (never random reboots) traveling mostly to major cities, but this road trip throughout most of the state of Wisconsin was typical of my other car travel experiences in Wisconsin and many other states. We have a few other BB users in the office (some 9630 users with OS5) and they mostly have the same experience when traveling (we all have great VZW service in Chicago area), however the couple of ATT iPhone users cannot say the same. The android users have mixed results.
    07-19-11 11:46 AM
    Idk I use to have a lot of reboots before I updated, but today is the 2nd time I got a reboot in like 2 weeks, so its not that bad for me thank god

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-11 11:58 AM
    Just get an iphone. If it truly was a BB6 issue, it wouldn't have started back with OS5 and everyone running BB6 would have it.
    Another helpful response. Have a problem with a phone you purchased, get a software upgrade, it causes significant problems with how that phone operates, and your suggestion is to get a new phone?

It DID NOT start with OS5, it started with the first update to OS6, and continued with their latest release. READ MY POSTS! My phone worked fine on OS5.

If you hadn't noticed, there are several responses on here stating the rebooting problem started with their upgrade to OS6. Also read where it happened with different carriers and in different areas.

Want to pay my fees for upgrading to another phone? Along with the renewed contract when renewing? I would be happy to do so. Until then, your response helps nobody.
    07-20-11 01:31 AM
    I agree, there is a reboot issue issue with os6 on 9650 and 9670, and I think it is coverage related, that is why some are not experiencing it.

But I have a total of 6 bb's in my office between 9650 and 9670 and we work in fringe area, and the only user not experiencing reboots is os5 user, all os6 users are crying and ******** to me, i am the office IT guy.

This is not a solid platform. Why does the phone reboot because of bad coverage, why does reboot times take over 5 minutes, why would the device need to reboot just for installing app updates or uninstalls, why are there spinning clocks when I downloading small attachments?

These are all very serious questions we have asked, with no solution in sight from rimm. I am leaving this platform for now, and we might come back for qnx.
    Also being an IT guy with several Blackberries in the enterprise, the ONLY reason I can think of for others not having this problem is because the updates to these phones are very tightly controlled through the enterprise, and have not been upgraded in some time.
    07-20-11 01:34 AM
    @91Vet I just spent the last couple of weeks traveling all over Wisconsin on business to Madison, La Crosse, Eu Claire, Wausau, Green Bay, Oshkosh and Milwaukee, then back to Chicago again all by car and not one dropped call much less a reboot. There were times when I only had one bar on 1X and no 3G service, but no reboots. I have VZW service running OS6 (have been since the very first leak) and almost never experience dropped calls (never random reboots) traveling mostly to major cities, but this road trip throughout most of the state of Wisconsin was typical of my other car travel experiences in Wisconsin and many other states. We have a few other BB users in the office (some 9630 users with OS5) and they mostly have the same experience when traveling (we all have great VZW service in Chicago area), however the couple of ATT iPhone users cannot say the same. The android users have mixed results.
    I don't disagree with your experience at all. Whenever I was traveling, the phone worked perfectly. I have traveled to many states in the US without rebooting. My experience was when traveling from work to home in Wisconsin (switching cell towers on US Cellular), but mainly at home where the reboots occurred. I confirmed with Verizon that their signal is carried over US Cellular towers, so it may be possible US Cellular is causing the problem given my phone has NEVER had a problem with rebooting in Colorado or other states.

This has happened with users with a 9650 on SPRINT. This has happened with users on other carriers.

The bottom line is, the reboots happen, and when taking over 5 minutes to reboot, missing phone calls, texts and emails in the process is just unacceptable for a service where that DID NOT happen with previous software builds.
    07-20-11 01:42 AM
    For another update, I got the 4th phone, went through the process of turning it into my phone by activating, and found out the ESN was still activated on another account. There was NOTHING Verizon could do about it other then send another phone. I got the new phone (fifth), got it activated, did a restore as I was instructed, removed some applications or software that I thought might be a problem...and bricked my new phone.

I came here to find out if there was something I could do. I tried JL_whatever and about three other applications, but nothing would work.

I finally found BBSAK. It worked great! It did what it said, replaced my OS, upgraded to the latest version that I chose, removed the crap I did not want, and my phone has been working perfectly for over a week.

...but then I am back in Colorado. If I go back to Wisconsin, I am not sure if it will reboot again like the others.

BBSAK is a MUST if you have a Blackberry.
    07-20-11 02:00 AM
    Another helpful response. Have a problem with a phone you purchased, get a software upgrade, it causes significant problems with how that phone operates, and your suggestion is to get a new phone?

It DID NOT start with OS5, it started with the first update to OS6, and continued with their latest release. READ MY POSTS! My phone worked fine on OS5.

If you hadn't noticed, there are several responses on here stating the rebooting problem started with their upgrade to OS6. Also read where it happened with different carriers and in different areas.

Want to pay my fees for upgrading to another phone? Along with the renewed contract when renewing? I would be happy to do so. Until then, your response helps nobody.
    You are just beyond helping. Random reboots did start with OS5, here's a link from July 2010. Now Let's see.... Sprint released BB6 first in December 2010 (6.0.0.415), and in July 2010 BB6 WAS NOT AVAILABLE. You wouldn't know that, because you obviously didn't reasearch the problem.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=497674

I suggested you get an iphone, it's full of cute little icons, and really doesn't need updating. Here's another good thread for you to check out:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...advice-630780/
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 07-20-11 at 07:27 AM.
    07-20-11 07:23 AM
    No problems with my Bold, and I've had it for almost a year.
    07-20-11 07:48 PM
    I had no problems for the few months I had my bold, but eventually just got bored of it...
    07-21-11 05:44 PM
    We will return to your regular scheduled programming after some clean up.

Some of us are in need of a break from the forums I see.........
    07-25-11 09:36 AM
    //

Let's get back to the topic at hand now.

Either we can try and resolve the OP issue or not.

But that is now reason to attack each other. If the user does not accept the info given as a fix, then so be it. MOVE ON.

But don;t turn threads into personal debates, attack and slander.

It's not needed on the forums and the user base is not welcoming it either.

I surely hope we do not revisit this thread by reports, but rather in a positive view of browsing the forums.

\\
    07-25-11 10:08 AM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD