I am so thoroughly disgusted with RIM I will be going to a non-Blackberry phone as soon as possible. I got the 9650 running OS5 and loved it. It was everything I needed in a phone and more. Along comes OS6, I upgrade, and it starts rebooting constantly. I contact tech support, jump through hoops after getting "gee, you're the only one" excuse, do a wipe and re-install, everything, and it keeps rebooting. I downgraded to 5 at their suggestion, and it fixed the problem. I got instructions for doing a clean install to OS6, did so, and it rebooted. I got the phone replaced with OS6 on the new phone, and it rebooted. The ONLY issue it can be is the lousy signal where I live, dropping in and out. I moved to Colorado a couple months ago, and while in Colorado, ZERO reboots, even in areas where there is no signal. Once it came back, the phone operated fine. For a month and a half while in Colorado, it operated like it used to, and never rebooted a single time. I returned to Wisconsin last Saturday, and within 24 hours, it rebooted.

FINE.

I decided to upgrade to 2333 to see if that would help anything. I just finished the upgrade, checked out several settings since RIM likes to change things without notice to a user, and everything seemed fine.

WITHIN A HALF HOUR OF UPGRADING IT REBOOTED!

RIM losing market share? Going down the tubes? Not focused on the user? Given the OS's they have released, it is no wonder an employee releases an open letter to the bosses. RIM is toast unless they do something more than write an open letter which the bosses will likely ignore...like they have the customer. For me, I could care less at this point if they are toast. I'm tired of paying for a phone that works when it wants to rather than when I need it.
    07-04-11 04:41 PM
    If you ask me the 9650 is the weirdest and most buggy of all the blackberries I ever had. Mine occasionally rebooted for no reason, lines across the screen when I took pics, poor battery life. I will agree OS5 ran on it fine, but the 6 was screwy, still worth the upgrade in my opinion. I read somewhere that certain apps will cause your phone to randomly restart, I'm assuming you did a clean install and then installed all your apps. And as for the lack of signal, that's your carriers fault, not the device itself.
    07-04-11 04:49 PM
    I have had my bold since it came out and haven't had any of your mentioned problems. I did have the weird lines on pics but that os version has been long gone now. I dont get random reboots at all on my device. I would suggest trying s hybrid since you managed to do a clean os install you could figure out the hybrid as well. Signal dropping wouldn't cause a device reboot as well. Hope you have better luck with the hybrid or just future OS upgrade or wish you the best of luck on another platform. They all have there ups and downs.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-04-11 05:08 PM
    I also have had my Bold since it debuted in June of 2010 and I have never had the problems you describe. I guess each handset is a bit different. While things haven't been entirely smooth sailing for me (I have a memory loss problem which is not entirely unusual for OS6), I have to say that my overall impression and experience with this phone has been sterling.

I wish you luck in finding a phone that suits your needs and operates accordingly. I do know you will reboot spontaneously if you have very poor signal, or if you have installed a rogue app or two.
    07-04-11 06:19 PM
    You might try the 6.0.0.522 OS instead of the 6.0.0.524 OS. A lot of people are reporting super great signal with it.

EDIT: I added the link to make it easier for anyone who would like to try it for a better signal.
    Last edited by middbrew; 07-04-11 at 07:18 PM.
    07-04-11 07:11 PM
    I read somewhere that certain apps will cause your phone to randomly restart, I'm assuming you did a clean install and then installed all your apps. And as for the lack of signal, that's your carriers fault, not the device itself.
    I too read where certain apps cause problems, but during one of my tries on OS6, I never installed any applications for three days, and it still rebooted. As for signal, I agree low signal would be my carriers fault, but it never rebooted with that low signal when I was on OS5.

FlashOp and jaydee5799, I can believe you have never had a problem with yours since I believe it is signal/area dependent. In my area, I believe Verizon is carried over US Cellular towers. Activating a new phone is a nightmare because of this. When I was in Colorado and always had good signal, I never once had a reboot. Even when the signal was totally lost up in the mountains, it never rebooted, but just operated once I was in coverage again. Here in Wisconsin, the signal goes up and down, and its not long before it reboots, often right after receiving an email or text.

You might try the 6.0.0.522 OS instead of the 6.0.0.524 OS. A lot of people are reporting super great signal with it.

EDIT: I added the link to make it easier for anyone who would like to try it for a better signal.
    I would like to try 522, saw a link earlier to the Verizon version but it was 524 only. I tried your link, and it's dead. Do you have a good link?
    07-04-11 07:50 PM
    I too read where certain apps cause problems, but during one of my tries on OS6, I never installed any applications for three days, and it still rebooted. As for signal, I agree low signal would be my carriers fault, but it never rebooted with that low signal when I was on OS5.

FlashOp and jaydee5799, I can believe you have never had a problem with yours since I believe it is signal/area dependent. In my area, I believe Verizon is carried over US Cellular towers. Activating a new phone is a nightmare because of this. When I was in Colorado and always had good signal, I never once had a reboot. Even when the signal was totally lost up in the mountains, it never rebooted, but just operated once I was in coverage again. Here in Wisconsin, the signal goes up and down, and its not long before it reboots, often right after receiving an email or text.

I would like to try 522, saw a link earlier to the Verizon version but it was 524 only. I tried your link, and it's dead. Do you have a good link?
    Go here: BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites

At the bottom of the page is the North American links. Look for the one that says MTS Mobility. follow it and it will lead you to the 9650 download page.
    07-04-11 08:34 PM
    Hey Midd,

What's different between 522 and 524? Radio? Just curious.
    07-04-11 09:39 PM
    Hey Midd,

What's different between 522 and 524? Radio? Just curious.
    Both the radio and app files are different. I'm not sure how different the app files are. I only know one person that is running straight 522 (everyone else is using the radio file with the OSBB v2 hybrid), but he says it is very good. I think the main advantage is the radio file in this built.
    07-05-11 08:11 AM
    i agree, 9650 is not a reliable phone by any means. My company is runnning 7 of them, whoever has os6 is having reliability problems, anybody on os5 is happy.

I have tried all os6 flavors, running wiped and clean installs with no residue from any other software of os6, and it still reboots randomly.

I do not care how slow the os6 runs, but why the **** should a carrier approved os crash all the time. And for some reason it always reboots when I need it the most. I am done with this platform, i was keeping it for bbm, but I dont care anymore, I need something more robust and reliable.

I am ordering Evo 3d today, I might come back for qnx os, but os7 is going to be based on the same outdated platform as os6, nothing it going to help.
    Last edited by edlivian; 07-05-11 at 10:13 AM.
    07-05-11 10:10 AM
    Because carriers approve crappy oses. Carrier approved means nothing.

Its easier to find leaked oses better than the "approved" versions. That and it takes them a year to approve a new version, so if something is wrong it takes forever to fix.
    07-05-11 11:29 AM
    For signal loss you might want to read this thread http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/un-e...screws-627315/ it's a different model but still may appy.
    07-05-11 11:42 AM
    If you ask me the 9650 is the weirdest and most buggy of all the blackberries I ever had. Mine occasionally rebooted for no reason, lines across the screen when I took pics, poor battery life. I will agree OS5 ran on it fine, but the 6 was screwy, still worth the upgrade in my opinion. I read somewhere that certain apps will cause your phone to randomly restart, I'm assuming you did a clean install and then installed all your apps. And as for the lack of signal, that's your carriers fault, not the device itself.
    I couldn't disagree more! The "buggiest and weirdest of all blackberries" top honors goes to Storm/storm2. I've had my 9650 since June 2010 and only had one random reboot, and I've run every build of BB6 (except MTS' 522) since they started leaking last fall.

9650 is extremely reliable, sorry ed The two replies complaining about 9650 in this thread have Sprint, most of the people who b!tch about their Bold's are on Sprint, and that speaks volumes.

For signal loss you might want to read this thread http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/un-e...screws-627315/ it's a different model but still may appy.
    Maybe the screen acutators are loose
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 07-05-11 at 12:54 PM.
    07-05-11 12:43 PM
    I am so thoroughly disgusted with RIM I will be going to a non-Blackberry phone as soon as possible. I got the 9650 running OS5 and loved it. It was everything I needed in a phone and more. Along comes OS6, I upgrade, and it starts rebooting constantly. I contact tech support, jump through hoops after getting "gee, you're the only one" excuse, do a wipe and re-install, everything, and it keeps rebooting. I downgraded to 5 at their suggestion, and it fixed the problem. I got instructions for doing a clean install to OS6, did so, and it rebooted. I got the phone replaced with OS6 on the new phone, and it rebooted. The ONLY issue it can be is the lousy signal where I live, dropping in and out. I moved to Colorado a couple months ago, and while in Colorado, ZERO reboots, even in areas where there is no signal. Once it came back, the phone operated fine. For a month and a half while in Colorado, it operated like it used to, and never rebooted a single time. I returned to Wisconsin last Saturday, and within 24 hours, it rebooted.

FINE.

I decided to upgrade to 2333 to see if that would help anything. I just finished the upgrade, checked out several settings since RIM likes to change things without notice to a user, and everything seemed fine.

WITHIN A HALF HOUR OF UPGRADING IT REBOOTED!

RIM losing market share? Going down the tubes? Not focused on the user? Given the OS's they have released, it is no wonder an employee releases an open letter to the bosses. RIM is toast unless they do something more than write an open letter which the bosses will likely ignore...like they have the customer. For me, I could care less at this point if they are toast. I'm tired of paying for a phone that works when it wants to rather than when I need it.

I'm having the same issues, other than moving to different states. I was at the local vz store today. Sales rep was trying to move me to android. Surprised that I am still so stubborn to own this pos phone.

07-05-11 01:52 PM
    Also there are a number of android devices that have known rebooting issues on stock OSes, so...

Switching platforms, you can easily end up with the same problem.
    07-05-11 02:14 PM
    I couldn't disagree more! The "buggiest and weirdest of all blackberries" top honors goes to Storm/storm2. I've had my 9650 since June 2010 and only had one random reboot, and I've run every build of BB6 (except MTS' 522) since they started leaking last fall.

9650 is extremely reliable, sorry ed The two replies complaining about 9650 in this thread have Sprint, most of the people who b!tch about their Bold's are on Sprint, and that speaks volumes.

Maybe the screen acutators are loose
    I've never had a storm so I'm not gonna comment about it. Yes it was a Sprint 9650, but some of the known issues like the phone rebooting when starting the camera or lines in pics taken with the camera are known to happen regardless of carrier. I had the 9650 since it came out and used it for almost a year and if you asked me how the phone was while I had it I'd say its excellent. Now that I got a 9700 to compare it against I'd say the 9650 was a piece of junk when I think back to all the issues it had and the overall OS6 performance. I do miss the extra memory 512mb is a lot compared to the other models.
    07-05-11 03:31 PM
    I've had Sprint for almost five(5) years and the 9650 since its release(13 months ago) and with the exception of not having email for 24 hours my phone has had NO problems. I'm not sure why I'm constantly hearing about rebooting issues, but I choose to stick with my slow running 6.0.0.415 and not jump from one OS6 to another and back. Maybe jumping from hybrid to regular and back has something to do with it, I don't really know, but I know my 9650 runs smooth (not blazing speed) and without all the problems I read about.
    07-06-11 09:39 AM
    I load almost all of the different OS versions when they come out an my phone has yet to crash/reboot/reload what ever you want to call it. You might just have a bad phone or a 3rd party app that is causing the problem.
    07-06-11 09:43 AM
    I've never had a storm so I'm not gonna comment about it. Yes it was a Sprint 9650, but some of the known issues like the phone rebooting when starting the camera or lines in pics taken with the camera are known to happen regardless of carrier. I had the 9650 since it came out and used it for almost a year and if you asked me how the phone was while I had it I'd say its excellent. Now that I got a 9700 to compare it against I'd say the 9650 was a piece of junk when I think back to all the issues it had and the overall OS6 performance. I do miss the extra memory 512mb is a lot compared to the other models.
    I haven't had any of the problems posted here with my 9650, aside from the one reboot that was camera related. It happed on 5.0.0.732.

I can't compare 9650 to the 9700, I wouldn't leave VZW for AT&T, certainly not for T-Mo.
    07-06-11 09:45 AM
    I've had Sprint for almost five(5) years and the 9650 since its release(13 months ago) and with the exception of not having email for 24 hours my phone has had NO problems. I'm not sure why I'm constantly hearing about rebooting issues, but I choose to stick with my slow running 6.0.0.415 and not jump from one OS6 to another and back. Maybe jumping from hybrid to regular and back has something to do with it, I don't really know, but I know my 9650 runs smooth (not blazing speed) and without all the problems I read about.
    Installing a new (or old) OS multiple times won't make the phone run bad. It will actually make it run better. Just like a computers OS, if you reinstall a clean OS every now and then it will run faster and smoother. This is because some of the settings and configurations and get discombobulated after a while causing the phone (or computer) to not run as efficiently.
    jaydee5799 and kbz1960 like this.
    07-06-11 10:14 AM
    Installing a new (or old) OS multiple times won't make the phone run bad. It will actually make it run better. Just like a computers OS, if you reinstall a clean OS every now and then it will run faster and smoother. This is because some of the settings and configurations and get discombobulated after a while causing the phone (or computer) to not run as efficiently.
    Thanks mid for the insight, but I do know that my phone is running flawless with the original 6.0.0.415 and its been on my phone since its release. I just don't have the problems that I read about. If this discombobulated concept was accurate I'm almost sure that carriers would increase their update turn around a lot sooner and not wait so long in between updates nor would RIM. How often are other smart phones updated? For that matter how many people outside of these CB forums actually update. Their are more Blackberry owners running OS5 than OS6.
    Last edited by spencerdl; 07-06-11 at 11:09 AM.
    07-06-11 10:59 AM
    Thanks mid for the insight, but I do know that my phone is running flawless with the original 6.0.0.415 and its been on my phone since its release. I just don't have the problems that I read about. If this discombobulated concept was accurate I'm almost sure that carriers would increase their update turn around a lot sooner and not wait so long in between updates nor would RIM. How often are other smart phones updated? For that matter how many people outside of these CB forums actually update. Their are more Blackberry owners running OS5 than OS6.
    It's not that it needs an update but a lot of junk tends to end up hanging around when you install, uninstall, install, uninstall a lot of things. A reinstall of the OS will get rid of all the hanging parts that still point to something that is no longer there.
    07-06-11 11:11 AM
    Thanks mid for the insight, but I do know that my phone is running flawless with the original 6.0.0.415 and its been on my phone since its release. I just don't have the problems that I read about. If this discombobulated concept was accurate I'm almost sure that carriers would increase their update turn around and not wait so long in between updates nor would RIM. How often are other smart phones updated? For that matter how many people outside of these CB forums actually update. Their are more Blackberry owners running OS5 than OS6.
    I am glad your phone is running great for you. I haven't had any issues with mine either. But I don't really think just because you don't or I don't have any issues with our phones that others will operate the same.

I don't think the carriers are concerned with BBs as you might think. Verizon is pushing Droids and could all most care less about BBs. I don't think Sprint is that much different. As far as RIM is concerned, I think they are knee deep in trying to get some of their new devices out and are putting in as much time with developing software for the older devices. You add in the fact that a CDMA OS is harder to develop than a GSM and that makes it even more problematic. All in all I don't think an OS can be made that would straighten out settings getting messed up over time. It hasn't been done with computers and they have been out a very long time. As for other platforms, yes they too get small upgrades all the time as well. You can't stay competitive if you don't.

A lot of Sprints issues from those that I've talked to are related to connection and coverage issues. The radio files seem to play a very big role in how a phone will work and if the coverage area is bad for a carrier the OS and it's radio file are not going to solve the problem. That being said some radio files work better in that department than others.
    07-06-11 11:19 AM
    I am glad your phone is running great for you. I haven't had any issues with mine either. But I don't really think just because you don't or I don't have any issues with our phones that others will operate the same.

I don't think the carriers are concerned with BBs as you might think. Verizon is pushing Droids and could all most care less about BBs. I don't think Sprint is that much different. As far as RIM is concerned, I think they are knee deep in trying to get some of their new devices out and are putting in as much time with developing software for the older devices. You add in the fact that a CDMA OS is harder to develop than a GSM and that makes it even more problematic. All in all I don't think an OS can be made that would straighten out settings getting messed up over time. It hasn't been done with computers and they have been out a very long time. As for other platforms, yes they too get small upgrades all the time as well. You can't stay competitive if you don't.

A lot of Sprints issues from those that I've talked to are related to connection and coverage issues. The radio files seem to play a very big role in how a phone will work and if the coverage area is bad for a carrier the OS and it's radio file are not going to solve the problem. That being said some radio files work better in that department than others.
    Don't get me wrong I do understand the importance of updating as to have your device running at optimal performance. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones to have a stable 9650 after all this time running an inferior OS6.0.0.415(slow but smooth without problems). Maybe SPEED has a price. Even before Android became popular, updates were still slow. That leads me to believe carrier updates are not based on whats popular but whats needed in an update.
    Last edited by spencerdl; 07-06-11 at 01:44 PM.
    07-06-11 01:37 PM
    I've had my 9650 for just over a hear and never had a random reboot issue. It's been running well on OS5 and OS6. Some of the earlier versions of OS6 might reboot when I took a picture but that's about it.

Could it be an issue with a memory card?
    07-06-11 02:26 PM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD