Hey,

I am aware that there are several threads on this topic, but most of them are rather old, and I have some specific questions.
    I have been on my Bold 9000 for about a year now, it is my first Blackberry device, and I am really happy withit. Since I am attending University, I am using it outside of a work enviroment with Blackberry Internet Services from my provider (Vodafone Germany).
    I recently have been looking into upgrading to the "new" Bold 9700, since this model has become more affordable, even for a student's budget.
    The question that has kept me from upgrading to the 9700 is whether, although the price is relativly low, an upgrade is actually worth the money.
    I have already installed the Firmware v5 on my 9000, and I am pretty happy with the changes.
    Pretty much the only problem, that I have with my Bold, is the sometimes limited performance. Though I have - at least in my view - very few apps installed (ICQ, Windows Live, BB Messenger, Google Sync, Google Maps, Facebook, Ebay) I am very low on application storage space, and installing another app usually makes my Blackberry run really slow, taking up to a full 2 seconds to reactivate from locked keybad. Additional to that I get, even with only the above named apps installed, more or less frequent lags. Is that a problem that will be solved with the 9700?
    Additional to that, I am not to certain about how the trackpad holds up against the trackball. I know that the trackball is the number one reason for broken Berries, but is the usability as good or better than the trackball?
    And, finally, are there any improvements with the browser? I love my Blackberry, but sometimes the browser is really a pain in the... well, you know. I use Opera Mini by now, which is much better in my opinion.
    Are there any more major improvements, that make it worth switching from the 9000 to the 9700 (apart from having the newest model, of course )?
    Thanks,
    Ben
    P.S.: Does anyone have any information on when a new Bold is to be expected, and maybe what might be changed on the new version?
    07-13-10 12:51 PM
    Going to try to hit the highlights:

1) Bold 9700 = much better device than Bold 9000
    2) Trackpad - more responsive, never discolors, never gets stuck, better than t/ball
    3) App memory - Bold 9700 has double that of the 9000. This is one thing you will
    no longer have to worry about. Go forth and loadeth thine self some apps.
    4) Browser - sorry but they are exactly the same.
    07-13-10 01:48 PM
    I have the 9000 for work and the 9700 for personal use. I really like them both for those purposes. As has already been said, the memory on the 9700 is much bigger for apps so that is a plus. The 9700 is noticeably smaller than the 9000, which means smaller keys for typing. That part did take a little getting used to at first but now I am good with it.
    07-13-10 02:12 PM
    plus the 9700 will get OS6 and the 9k will not. This is unofficial but that is what all reports are so far.
    07-13-10 02:20 PM
    The main thing why I think that it would be worth upgrading is for the memory (no lag) and the trackpad (20x better than the trackball!)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-10 04:43 PM

1) Bold 9700 = much better device than Bold 9000
    2) Trackpad - more responsive, never discolors, never gets stuck, better than t/ball
    3) App memory - Bold 9700 has double that of the 9000. This is one thing you will
    no longer have to worry about. Go forth and loadeth thine self some apps.
    This pretty much sums it up, plus:

5) Screen Res - 12.5% increase, from 480x320 to 480x360
    6) Camera - 2.0MP on 9000 vs 3.2MP w Auto-Focus

One point to make regarding the memory is that even though the 9700's is double the 9000's, the 9700 OS isn't double as big. So that means the actual difference in available memory is huge. With dozens of apps & themes on there, you should still have 80-110MB free!
    07-13-10 05:34 PM
    You might want to wait for the 9800 since it's around the corner and a better spec'd device.
    07-13-10 06:57 PM
    In complete agreement with amazinglygraceless and elite1! I made the upgrade myself when the 9700 came out and didn't look back. Faster (because of more memory), way smaller (you don't notice it until you use the 9700 for a day then use the 9000 again).

However, about your lag, have you ever tried to install quickpull? Its free (lite version) and you can set it to reboot your BB everyday at the same time. Mine resets at 4am everyday so everything runs smooth in the morning. Try it..it did wonders on my 9000
    07-13-10 07:54 PM

1) Bold 9700 = much better device than Bold 9000 = Matter of opinion. The BOLDS size is superior. My OPINION

2) Trackpad - more responsive, never discolors, never gets stuck, better than t/ball = Again to me, a matter of opinion in the area of response, control and being "better," otherwise yes to the rest

3) App memory - Bold 9700 has double that of the 9000. This is one thing you will no longer have to worry about. Go forth and loadeth thine self some apps. = Truth

My take on it as I have both, but still prefer my 9000. The memory and possible OS6 compatibility are the only benefits I see.
    Last edited by mke67; 07-13-10 at 08:49 PM.
    07-13-10 08:47 PM
    I rolled in here to give my 2 cents for the 9000, but after reading all the posts, there are some good reasons for moving "up". But I'll stick to my guns and say this: my beloved 9000 is like a '70's Mopar car. Very big and solid. Does what I ask it to do, and does it with minimum bells and whistles. Will I retire it? Of course. For the 9700? Probably not. I will for the 9800 though.
    07-13-10 09:21 PM
    Alright, thanks for all the information you guys. Having looked at what can be seen from the new 9800, I will probably wait for that and upgrade then. It might be more expensive, but it looks really impressive
    Thanks again
    07-14-10 04:09 AM
    I'm thinking of upgrading to the 9700 from the Storm2 but i heard that there is an updated 9700 due? Also this 9800 looks sweet, i just wish they would release it soon LOL
    07-14-10 04:13 AM
    I'm thinking of upgrading to the 9700 from the Storm2 but i heard that there is an updated 9700 due? Also this 9800 looks sweet, i just wish they would release it soon LOL

I agree, it seems to be the perfect crossover from Storm to Bold, the usability of a hardware QWERTY Keyboard, as well as the "coolness" of a touchscreen with an optimized OS. From what I read through my quick browse it was expected to be released in the States in June, but I guess that hasn't happened yet. Since OS6 is expected in late Summer, I guess that'll be the time when they release that new smartphone.
    07-14-10 04:16 AM
    I agree, it seems to be the perfect crossover from Storm to Bold, the usability of a hardware QWERTY Keyboard, as well as the "coolness" of a touchscreen with an optimized OS. From what I read through my quick browse it was expected to be released in the States in June, but I guess that hasn't happened yet. Since OS6 is expected in late Summer, I guess that'll be the time when they release that new smartphone.
    I hope it is realeased soon I think the slider maybe my perfect device- i just hope as its the first one that it isnt a fail like the S1
    07-14-10 05:18 AM
    Just upgraded from 9000 to 9700.... well worth it! Thought I might not like the smaller size, but it works great. keys seem slightly raised and no problem typing. touchpad is a bit of an adjustment. The other thing, if you have a ton of 9000 compatible chargers, etc, none of them will work with this device. In short, do it and don't look back
    07-14-10 06:53 AM
    I haev a personal 9700, an upgrade from an 8320, and I love it. That said, other than the app memory, which you can probably manage a bit (like regular reboots and deleting unwanted apps and such), it's not a huge difference from the 9000. I actually prefer the 9000 keyboard, which I hardly use, as it's my work device. The trackpad is WAY nice, but it's not much of an "upgrade." It works about the same. Yes, it should stay cleaner and continue to work better, but again, that's something you can manage with minimal effort.

If it were me, I'd wait and see what else comes out, then compare those devices. Maybe when the 9800 comes out, you still get the 9700. Maybe you get the 9800. At least you will have options then.
    07-14-10 07:26 AM
    Alright, thanks for all the information you guys. Having looked at what can be seen from the new 9800, I will probably wait for that and upgrade then. It might be more expensive, but it looks really impressive
    Thanks again
    Yes depending on your budget and your service provider's typical discounts, you might want to consider your budget and your patience.
    If this comes out in a couple months, it might be early next spring before its price with contract drops down to the neighbourhood of the 9700's current price.
    Are you willing to wait 7-8 months potentially? If so, then go for it!

Also, what if your provider doesn't carry it? Or if another carrier has a 6-month exclusive, again delaying your provider's release until next spring...

Not trying to be Debbie Downer, but you have to know about yourself how patient (or not!) you're willing to be.
    07-14-10 02:12 PM
    I'd wait for the 9800 since there's no guarantee that the 9700 will get OS 6.
    07-14-10 02:31 PM
    This late in the game I'd wait for 9800. I'm not giving up my 9700 though due to cost. I'm not on contract so I'm not entitled to an upgrade.. And I'm very pleased with my 9700.

07-14-10 02:35 PM
    well i would wait for the 9800, which will probably drop in a few months... i upgraded from 9000 to 9700 and the only thing i had to get use to was the keyboard since the 9700 is smaller...
    07-14-10 04:03 PM
    Being that you don't have a need for a lot of apps, just wait it out for the 9800 as it will be an amazing device, the best BB without question...love my 9700, but you don't want to get stuck into a contract and have to wait...unless you want to pay full price.

07-14-10 06:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD