Should I get this phone? I mean, I've heard some REALLY good things about this phone, and I'm kinda starting to want it. So, is it worth getting?
    Oh, and please don't tell me to wait for the OS7 devices, because they're not available where I live, and probably won't be for another year or so.
    All answers appreciated!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-11 08:28 AM
    Worth getting compared to what? You haven't said what you're currently using?

IMO the 9780 is the best BlackBerry available today, but many will disagree with that.

It's all down to personal preference and opinion.

My advice:- if you can try before you buy... do so, then make your decision.

08-06-11 08:48 AM
    Worth getting compared to what? You haven't said what you're currently using?

IMO the 9780 is the best BlackBerry available today, but many will disagree with that.

It's all down to personal preference and opinion.

My advice:- if you can try before you buy... do so, then make your decision.

Well, I'm currently using the 9300 Curve 3G. It's a pretty good phone, but I've always wanted a Bold. I just couldn't afford it at the time I bought my Curve, so I settled for this.

The other phone that I'm thinking about getting is the Torch 9800.

08-06-11 08:56 AM
    Ah, a 9300... in that case, you definitely won't be disappointed

Try the 9800 and 9780 out in a store to compare, but if you want the best keypad then the 9780 wins hands down!

08-06-11 09:03 AM
    I'm ordering the 9780 or 9800 off of Amazon, so I don't have the opportunity to compare the two, sadly I'm basically running on blind faith, except I have your guidance, haha.

What other features does the 9780 have that the 9800 does not?

Btw, thank you very much for answering my questions!

08-06-11 09:16 AM
    In what country do you live in?
    08-06-11 09:26 AM
    In what country do you live in?

I live in Japan.

08-06-11 09:30 AM
    If you are unable to try both devices in person, then I would post this same question in the 9800 forum.

I've never owned a Torch, so unfortunately you're only going to get a biased opinion towards the 9780 from me.

Both devices run OS6 out of the box, have the same amount of RAM, the same processor, and the same 5MP camera. The Torch obviously has a larger touchscreen, but a more cramped keypad. Many have complained about the lag on the 9800, especially on early OS builds, possibly due to extra processing power required by the screen? No such issues on the 9780 though.

In the end it's all down to form factor. Would you prefer a slider with larger touchscreen and cramped keypad, or a classic BB style with smaller non-touch screen and larger physical keypad?

The choice is yours...

08-06-11 09:33 AM
    You can always buy the OS7 devices then have them unlocked to use in Japan. I currently have the Torch and it's alright. Owned the 9300 and the 9700 and i personally like the Bold (9.5/10) over the Torch just a bit (8/10). I would give the bold a try first then consider the Torch.
    08-06-11 09:34 AM
    It's a pretty solid device, overall, IMHO. Lots of memory, good browser and I like the keyboard.
    08-06-11 09:42 AM
    If you are unable to try both devices in person, then I would post this same question in the 9800 forum.

I've never owned a Torch, so unfortunately you're only going to get a biased opinion towards the 9780 from me.

Both devices run OS6 out of the box, have the same amount of RAM, the same processor, and the same 5MP camera. The Torch obviously has a larger touchscreen, but a more cramped keypad. Many have complained about the lag on the 9800, especially on early OS builds, possibly due to extra processing power required by the screen? No such issues on the 9780 though.

In the end it's all down to form factor. Would you prefer a slider with larger touchscreen and cramped keypad, or a classic BB style with smaller non-touch screen and larger physical keypad?

The choice is yours...

Honestly, I'm leaning towards the Torch right now, because of the LARGE amount of onboard memory (4GB) as opposed to the 512 MB onboard memory of the Bold 9780. But, the battery life on the Bold is excellent (or so I've heard)!
    How long does your 9780 last per charge? For example, half a day or 1 & a half days.

08-06-11 09:42 AM
    You can always buy the OS7 devices then have them unlocked to use in Japan. I currently have the Torch and it's alright. Owned the 9300 and the 9700 and i personally like the Bold (9.5/10) over the Torch just a bit (8/10). I would give the bold a try first then consider the Torch.

I COULD order the 9900 or something, but I'm afraid of the monstrous cost of shipping from the US to Japan (plus the cost of the phone itself).

08-06-11 09:45 AM
    Honestly, I'm leaning towards the Torch right now, because of the LARGE amount of onboard memory (4GB) as opposed to the 512 MB onboard memory of the Bold 9780. But, the battery life on the Bold is excellent (or so I've heard)!
    How long does your 9780 last per charge? For example, half a day or 1 & a half days.
    Don't be fooled by the 4GB memory on the Torch, thats only for media storage. Just like a small internal media card. It cannot be used for app storage. Both devices have the same 512MB RAM.

Battery life is dependent on personal usage, but will be considerably better on the 9780.

I can easily get a full days heavy usage out of mine.

08-06-11 09:50 AM
    Don't be fooled by the 4GB memory on the Torch, thats only for media storage. Just like a small internal media card. It cannot be used for app storage. Both devices have the same 512MB RAM.

Battery life is dependent on personal usage, but will be considerably better on the 9780.

Oh, the 4 GB is the SIM card's capacity? Wow, I didn't know that! I thought it was used for app storage!

Yeah, the Bold is the flagship of RIM, right?

Okay, now I'm leaning towards the 9780.

08-06-11 10:06 AM
    Oh, the 4 GB is the SIM card's capacity? Wow, I didn't know that! I thought it was used for app storage!

Yeah, the Bold is the flagship of RIM, right?

Okay, now I'm leaning towards the 9780.
    No, it's not the media card capacity, that's seperate. It is however just like having an additional 4GB media card internally installed, because you can only store media on it.

The Bold was RIM's flagship device, but that title is currently held by the 9800... but not for long, as the 9900 will rightfully reclaim that mantle when released.

08-06-11 10:27 AM
    No, it's not the media card capacity, that's seperate. It is however just like having an additional 4GB media card internally installed, because you can only store media on it.

The Bold was RIM's flagship device, but that title is currently held by the 9800... but not for long, as the 9900 will rightfully reclaim that mantle when released.

Oh, okay. 512 MB is still a lot, though, so I'm not complaining.

Do you plan on getting the 9900?

08-06-11 10:35 AM
    Oh, okay. 512 MB is still a lot, though, so I'm not complaining.

Do you plan on getting the 9900?
    Yup... 512MB is more than enough for most users

I've got a free upgrade due, so will probably go for the 9900. However I prefer the 9700/9780 size compared to my old 9000 which I found a little wide and cumbersome... so I might hold out for the 9790, if that ever gets released.

08-06-11 10:45 AM
    Yup... 512MB is more than enough for most users

I've got a free upgrade due, so will probably go for the 9900. However I prefer the 9700/9780 size compared to my old 9000 which I found a little wide and cumbersome... so I might hold out for the 9790, if that ever gets released.

Haha, yeah.

Aw, you're so lucky...I envy you right now. Lol.

I totally agree with you. Thank god the Bolds got smaller, eh?

08-06-11 10:54 AM
    I have the 9780 and is a nice BB.. i also have the 9700... i find the only differences are the 9780 has 512 mb on board memory compared to 256 on the 9700 and the camera has 5mp with flash to the 3.2 and no flash for the 9700 i have both right in front of me and the keyboard is i find the same but for the price the 9700 is good enough.and you will find it better than the Curve 9300 which i also have here too
    08-06-11 12:58 PM
    3.2 and no flash for the 9700
    The 9700 has a camera flash, just no face detection option
    08-06-11 01:18 PM
    Aiight, I'm sold! I'm gonna order the 9780 , so expect to see me on the 9780 forums in a couple months
    I truly am grateful to everyone who replied to this thread. Thanks again.

08-07-11 09:30 AM
    I want a 9900 yet getting a 9870 and using it on ATT would just be as good.
    08-07-11 09:47 AM

I would echo this statement. Battery usage is TYPICALLY better on non-touch screen devices, but is heavily dependent on personal usage. You can set options to reduce battery consumption, such as turning off GPS and reducing screen brightness, as well as how often applications refresh.
    08-07-11 10:34 AM
    All the Bolds are great devices. Please get the 9780 asap. Lol.

08-07-11 10:37 AM
    Today, I came to the realization that the Torch better suits my needs/preferences than the 9780 does...

08-08-11 03:08 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD