I am currently on AT&T and wondering if I do purchase a bold, preferably from ebay or craigslist, can I use a standard unlimited data plan with AT&T? If so, what features will I be missing by not going with a BB plan through AT&T? Any help you guys can give is greatly appreciated.
    08-09-09 11:38 PM
    You have to get the specific BlackBerry data plan to connect with the email servers I believe. I'd wait a couple months for the Onyx as well.
    08-09-09 11:54 PM
    You will need the blackberry data plan to use all the features on the bold including many apps. However, there are a few apps that also run on wifi. I can't think of any off the top of my head but do a search. There are some people on CB who don't have a data plan and just use wifi. If you can't find any good deals for a bold on ebay or craigslist, check out the CB marketplace. Thats where I got my bold for a great deal.

Edit*
    Because I'm feeling nice, I found this thread for you. You can see the apps you can use with wifi if you don't have a data plan.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/bb-...-plans-273565/
    Last edited by rockigirl; 08-10-09 at 12:08 AM.
    08-10-09 12:02 AM
    if you're not on a BB plan you can't get BB Browser working without some basic changing of apns, and push emails and most programs which require a BIS like WLM won't work for you. There's no point getting a blackberry without a blackberry plan
    08-10-09 12:06 AM
    If all you want is to use Opera Mini and pure data chat apps, you can get away with it.

But yeah you can't do OTA installs, use the BB native email, etc.
    08-10-09 12:07 AM
    I'm in Canada and only using WiFi and I'm posting this using my BB Browser.. only app I can't get to work is Viigo.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-09 01:13 AM
    But in the end, the BB's main functionality, push e-mail, won't be available without a BB plan. Don't most people get BlackBerries for the email?
    08-10-09 09:36 AM
    Thanks for all the replys. I would mainly like to have text/pix messaging, email and some internet browsing. I was just figuring if I got a cheap data plan would it be worth it, but the main consensus here is that its better to pony up the $30 a month and have everything the way it should be. Am I accurate with that?
    08-10-09 10:32 AM
    Thanks for all the replys. I would mainly like to have text/pix messaging, email and some internet browsing. I was just figuring if I got a cheap data plan would it be worth it, but the main consensus here is that its better to pony up the $30 a month and have everything the way it should be. Am I accurate with that?
    Yes, Blackberries are only good with Blackberry data plans. The BB data plan is specifically tailored for BB devices and will give u features like Blackberry Messenger, Push email, Internet browser PLUS there are 3rd party programs that will only work with a data plan regardless if they use wifi or not.

If your looking for something more simple to work with your basic data plan then I suggest you look into a windows mobile phone.
    08-10-09 11:17 AM
    I'm in Canada and only using WiFi and I'm posting this using my BB Browser.. only app I can't get to work is Viigo.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Kind of misleading statement since you cant get push email and the other features that are specific to Blackberries. PIN me when u get a chance Opps! I forgot u cant!
    08-10-09 11:19 AM
    if you're not on a BB plan you can't get BB Browser working without some basic changing of apns, and push emails and most programs which require a BIS like WLM won't work for you. There's no point getting a blackberry without a blackberry plan
    You are totally 100% correct!
    08-10-09 11:20 AM
    Yes, Blackberries are only good with Blackberry data plans. The BB data plan is specifically tailored for BB devices and will give u features like Blackberry Messenger, Push email, Internet browser PLUS there are 3rd party programs that will only work with a data plan regardless if they use wifi or not.

If your looking for something more simple to work with your basic data plan then I suggest you look into a windows mobile phone.
    How easy is it to get apps like facebook or others when using a winmo device? Something like that I can just a cheap data plan and still get my email and everything to the phone without issue?
    08-10-09 11:57 AM
    There's more WM apps than BB apps by far.

The difference is that most of the WM apps are not push. If you get a non-carrier branded WM phone you can use the cheap data plan. Otherwise you have to pay the smartphone plan, which basically costs as much as BIS.

You can use Seven beta for push email on WM.
    08-10-09 12:34 PM
    I was just looking at samsung jack which is only branded to AT&T which I have. So youre saying I cannot get email on the phone without having a PDA data plan?
    08-10-09 12:57 PM
    Um..... I have a Bold without a data plan. I'm in High school still so I can't afford data. I only need it for texting, a few calls, a media player, and a good calendar. I have the BB Browser working by setting it to hotspot browser.
    08-10-09 01:20 PM
    I was just looking at samsung jack which is only branded to AT&T which I have. So youre saying I cannot get email on the phone without having a PDA data plan?
    AT&T branded phones = AT&T considers it a smartphone. $30 pda data plan (data + sms bundle = $50)
    Ubranded or non-AT&T phones = AT&T considers a dumbphone. $15 medianet data plan (data + sms bundle = $30). It's not an AT&T IMEI so basically they don't know what the phone is.
    08-10-09 01:25 PM
    I already have a plan with at&t and some other people have been saying to add data before putting sim into the smart phone. but youre saying at&t is going to know and then make me pay the extra for the pda plan?
    08-10-09 06:14 PM
    Are you talking about using a blackberry or something else?

Yeah you could use a different data plan on a BB, but it's a pointless, uphill battle because a bunch of features won't work.

Not only that but you'd need a non-smartphone IMEI in order to get a non pda or BB data plan in the first place.
    08-10-09 06:32 PM
    lol sorry for the confusion. in the beginning yes, BB bold, but most people said not worth it without bb plan. so i said what about something like a samsung jack with windows mobile as someone suggested using a winmo phone. so right now i have at&t without a smartphone. so im thinking if i got a jack or something similar without a pda plan and just dumb internet, would it be an issue? or is it better to get something unlocked and tmobile branded?
    08-10-09 07:43 PM
    It should work. Technically it's fraud though if you're using an AT&T smartphone with the media net plan.
    08-10-09 07:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD