Hiya, just to put this out there, im not trolling in any way shape or form, basically at the moment I have a galaxy note 2, for the past 2 years I have swapped my phones at least 30 times going from high end android phones to nemerous iphones, last year I decided to try blackberry and brought a 9900 I loved the keyboard and as a phone it was top notch, it broke after a month by developing a fault with the keyboard where ill be typing words and not all of the letters would appear on the screen so I sent it back.
    Now because I wasnt fully used to the OS I decided to get another android phone in its place.
    I cant afford to keep switching phones so much and my girlfriend isreally getting fed up with me switching phones and has told me that I have to stick with the note 2.
    My friend at work has a blackberry and it just looks so classy and sleek, my girlfriend keeps telling me ill be downgrading if I switch from a note 2 to a bold9900? I just wanna ask if anyone has made the switch recently from say a high end android phone to a blackberry, what was the transition like? I got the note 2 for the big screen and to watch films on but I hardly watch films on it at all, the most I do with my phone really is text alot?
    So if anyone can advise on what to do or has been in a similar situation please drop a reply in.

Many thanks

Darren
    07-23-13 03:01 PM
    Hiya, just to put this out there, im not trolling in any way shape or form, basically at the moment I have a galaxy note 2, for the past 2 years I have swapped my phones at least 30 times going from high end android phones to nemerous iphones, last year I decided to try blackberry and brought a 9900 I loved the keyboard and as a phone it was top notch, it broke after a month by developing a fault with the keyboard where ill be typing words and not all of the letters would appear on the screen so I sent it back.
    Now because I wasnt fully used to the OS I decided to get another android phone in its place.
    I cant afford to keep switching phones so much and my girlfriend isreally getting fed up with me switching phones and has told me that I have to stick with the note 2.
    My friend at work has a blackberry and it just looks so classy and sleek, my girlfriend keeps telling me ill be downgrading if I switch from a note 2 to a bold9900?

Here are the spec sheets:

BlackBerry Bold Touch 9900 vs. Samsung Galaxy Note II N7100 - GSMArena.com

I just wanna ask if anyone has made the switch recently from say a high end android phone to a blackberry, what was the transition like? I got the note 2 for the big screen and to watch films on but I hardly watch films on it at all, the most I do with my phone really is text alot?
    So if anyone can advise on what to do or has been in a similar situation please drop a reply in.

Many thanks

Darren
    I would get a Q10 is the keyboard is that important to you. Again, here are the specs for comparison:

BlackBerry Q10 - Full phone specifications
    07-23-13 03:06 PM
    My friend at work has a blackberry and it just looks so classy and sleek, my girlfriend keeps telling me ill be downgrading if I switch from a note 2 to a bold9900? I just wanna ask if anyone has made the switch recently from say a high end android phone to a blackberry, what was the transition like? I got the note 2 for the big screen and to watch films on but I hardly watch films on it at all, the most I do with my phone really is text alot?

Many thanks

Darren
    I went from a Note to S3 and back to Blackberry. It's all in a matter of opinion. I didnt really watch videos ... mainly call/text/facebook ... Keep in mind all the apps you have with android you wont really have for blackberry. If you're okay with that than i say go for it! I have the Q10 and im happy. I miss Pinterest, Instagram, WellsFargo ... so on ... Blackberry is THE messaging/email phone.

It really depends on what you consider a downgrade ...

You'll have a smaller screen - less apps - gaming will be different ....

I'm pro blackberry but it is something to consider. You may get a bit of "culture" shock. Make an educated move ...

Good luck on your decision making!
    diegonei likes this.
    07-23-13 03:07 PM
    Keep in mind all the apps you have with android you wont really have for blackberry.
    And that's why I suggested going for the Q10, which is capable of running a good number of Android 2.3.3 apps and soon to be updated to Android 4.2 support (the runtime, not the OS. It does not run Android!)...
    07-23-13 03:11 PM

Many thanks

Darren
    I really like my Z10 better that the keyboard BB I had before. The predictive text is very fast and accurate, and learns the words that you use. Haven't tried the Q10 keyboard with predictive text, but I don't think it could really be faster. Just easier to type without looking. If you have "swapped" 30 phones in two years... cant you settle on two or three and just swap the sim card from time to time??? There are things the Z10 is good at, but I'm sure the Note2 is better at others.
    07-23-13 03:12 PM
    And that's why I suggested going for the Q10, which is capable of running a good number of Android 2.3.3 apps and soon to be updated to Android 4.2 support (the runtime, not the OS. It does not run Android!)...
    Right! Just making sure his eyes are open when/if he switches! Some switch and have no idea the changes they come to ... which was what i was trying to explain to him!
    diegonei likes this.
    07-23-13 03:17 PM
    Thanks for ur replies so far, I cant afford a Q10 its out my price range, I can pick up a 9900 for just over 100 on ebay but to do that I would have to sell this phone first. Just to state what my gf said and shes had a few blackberries eg pearl and a few curves, she said I would be switching to a basic phone that does basic things? I can understand that to a point that I would be buying a totally different kind of phone in the blackberry rather than say an adroid. Can I ask what the main plus points on the blackberry are? And why do u guys/gals live it so much? I mean when I had the 9900 last year I fell in love with the keyboard, but cos I didnt have it for very long I couldnt get used to the whole OS and the benefits that it has/ did for me?
    I mean im really really interested in it but just need to find out a bit more of why u guys stick with it over other OS' s.
    07-23-13 03:34 PM
    Thanks for ur replies so far, I cant afford a Q10 its out my price range, I can pick up a 9900 for just over 100 on ebay but to do that I would have to sell this phone first. Just to state what my gf said and shes had a few blackberries eg pearl and a few curves, she said I would be switching to a basic phone that does basic things? I can understand that to a point that I would be buying a totally different kind of phone in the blackberry rather than say an adroid. Can I ask what the main plus points on the blackberry are? And why do u guys/gals live it so much? I mean when I had the 9900 last year I fell in love with the keyboard, but cos I didnt have it for very long I couldnt get used to the whole OS and the benefits that it has/ did for me?
    I mean im really really interested in it but just need to find out a bit more of why u guys stick with it over other OS' s.
    The keyboard is amazing ... one of the best ive ever owned. Messaging and email is pretty much #1 (IMHO). Multi-tasking is easier ...

What are you looking for in a phone? Why is your eye caught with the 9900? Why are you wanting to switch?

We can't make your decision for you ... We've stated some of our opinions but without knowing exactly what you're wanting from the phone we can't be much help.
    07-23-13 05:00 PM
    I want a phone that is gonna be first and foremost a phone, calling texting and emails are what I use the most, I have a note 2 and I find im picking it up sometimes and just scrolling through the homescreens and putting it back down again.
    I rarely play games, if at all. I mainly go on the sky sports news app and just to check facebook every once in a while, I browse the web quite alot just for random stuff and use ebay.
    But apart from that I dont do much else with my phone.
    Im interested in the 9900 as the keyboard seems a bit bigger for my fingers and ive heard thats the best phone out apart from the new bb10 devices.
    I dont actually know why im wanting to switch, I like the idea of the physical keyboard that gets the job done. And to be honest, I seem to be on my phone quite alot and not doing much else lol so it would be nice to sort of stop relying on my phone to keep me busy and entertained 24/7.
    Plus blackberries just look so much more classy than a big slab of plastic and glass.
    I appreciate all ur replies on helping with my queries. I just dont want to regret switching to something that I dont know too much about other than watching youtube reviews on.
    07-23-13 05:44 PM
    I can't make the decision for you, but I can certainly help. I came from a fully modded out HTC Sensation, and I use the Galaxy Note II all the time. Before that, I've owned basically every iteration of Android. Mine broke, so I got this as a free replacement from T-Mobile.

Pros for Android, Cons for BB:
    - The app options destroy Blackberry's. If you want key apps, look elsewhere because they won't be here anytime soon.
    - Google Maps, GMail, and the rest of the Google apps. I hate not having access to them, and it is frustrating on a day to day basis not being able to use them. Especially turn by turn. Blackberry Maps is a joke.
    - Screen real estate. On Android it is easy. On BlackBerry It's actually a hassle trying to read simple web pages with this device. And forget going into desktop mode unless you want a major headache. Actually, you can't even go into Desktop mode
    - YouTube. BlackBerry uses a gimped version of the Android YouTube, and it isn't even close to where it should be.
    - Simplicity. Android isn't even simple, and yet it is far easier to get your device set up and running than on a freaking BlackBerry. So many unnecessary prompts and menus that do not need to be there.
    - Customization. You can overclock your Android, get a new ROM, underclock the GPU, download free music, play Nintendo games, very new skins..you name it. You're way more locked down with a Blackberry.

Pros for BlackBerry, Cons for Android:

- Battery life, sweet battery life. I actually think before I got this Blackberry it had been five years since I could go a whole day without charging. Even if this device isn't supposed to have great battery life, it actually destroys my Android. With two batteries? I'm unstoppable and never ever have to worry about running out of juice. It is a major selling point.
    - Oddly, simplicity. No, I can't do as much on my BlackBerry as I could on Android. But I end up saving myself lots of time in the process. Everything is much more simple. I answer texts more timely because for me a hardware keyboard always beats a touchscreen. I hate typing on them, and with this I can churn out an email or a blog post like it's nothing. There are just way less distractions.
    - The keyboard. I forgot how much I liked to type until I returned to a BlackBerry keyboard. It truly is a pleasure to type on it, and it's the best I have ever used, including over the Q10.
    - Trackpad, dedicated hardware buttons. They got rid of them, but they shouldn't have. They just make life easier. Easier to copy and paste, easier to answer calls, easier to select text. It is all significantly easier, I can promise you that. Add in a shortcuts hardware button on the side, and life is even easier.
    - The small touch screen helps too. It is both a blessing and a curse, this screen. On the one hand, it is too small for viewing media, period. On the other hand, I love how I can just switch over to touch, not reach too far, and voila I can select something or scroll down however I choose. It gives me more options for more scenarios, whereas Android only gives me one, touch screen.
    - Build quality. The BB 9900/9930 feel top notch, and significantly better than most Android phones. It is not nearly a deal breaker because who the heck cares, but it is a nice touch.
    - Finally, the toggles at the top of the screen. No, they aren't intuitive and yes Android has toggles that are probably better, but for some reason I like BlackBerrys slightly more. i like that I can turn off Wifi with a couple clicks, and NFC, and Mobile Data. It really is simple right out of the box.

I hope I was able to help.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    07-23-13 06:05 PM
    I want a phone that is gonna be first and foremost a phone, calling texting and emails are what I use the most, I have a note 2 and I find im picking it up sometimes and just scrolling through the homescreens and putting it back down again.
    I rarely play games, if at all. I mainly go on the sky sports news app and just to check facebook every once in a while, I browse the web quite alot just for random stuff and use ebay.
    But apart from that I dont do much else with my phone.
    Im interested in the 9900 as the keyboard seems a bit bigger for my fingers and ive heard thats the best phone out apart from the new bb10 devices.
    I dont actually know why im wanting to switch, I like the idea of the physical keyboard that gets the job done. And to be honest, I seem to be on my phone quite alot and not doing much else lol so it would be nice to sort of stop relying on my phone to keep me busy and entertained 24/7.
    Plus blackberries just look so much more classy than a big slab of plastic and glass.
    I appreciate all ur replies on helping with my queries. I just dont want to regret switching to something that I dont know too much about other than watching youtube reviews on.
    Do you like the trackpad on the Bold?

The new BB10 keyboard devices don't have the button row, but to compensate you get access to a larger app store and a more media friendly / web friendly device.

If you want browse the web as well, and don't care much about the trackpad, get the Q10 is my advice.
    07-23-13 06:11 PM
    Since you've already owned the Bold for a month & returned it , I think it's not for you.

You should have gotten a feel for it during this period of time. If you 're still unsure at this point , it's time to move on.
    holly joslin likes this.
    07-23-13 07:02 PM
    Sure, compare a 9900 to 8100 or 8310 and of course you'll get an opinion like hers. Not saying she's wrong. Just that by today's standards, a Pearl and old Curves are "basic" phones.

The 9900 runs OS7 and is not a basic phone by any standard.

Anyway, you may want to hold on to the Note till you can get a Q10. Just saying.
    07-23-13 10:14 PM
    The 9900 is an amazing device. You want email, text and a phone (duh) and you enjoyed using a physical keyboard then it is a great phone to use. Personally though, I would save my money. The 9900 seems to be the right device for you but is getting on in age and a used device can potentially be a dud. It is a downgrade in specs and apps but it is still a communication powerhouse so many years later. I stuck with the 9900 even though people told me I was stuck in the past. But it was a great phone and I still have great respect for what it could do. It really is up to you.
    07-23-13 10:39 PM