I'm a new Blackberry user, having used Nokia, Sony Ericsson and iPhones before. I've found that my old text messages (SMSes) seem to disappear on a regular basis. I used to think that it's because of the Blackberry Protect backing up my SMSes someplace, but I can never find those SMSes anywhere.

Is it normal for Blackberry messages to disappear like that? Is there any way of retrieving them? FYI I usually don't delete my messages except the unimportant ones, and I do keep a number of messages as references.
    09-18-11 05:39 AM
    Try opening the Text Messages folder, press the BB button select 'options' scroll down and change the validity period to MAX in the drop down box, I'm not sure if this is the correct thing to do but mine is set to MAX and I still have messages as far back as new year in some conversations that I haven't deleted.

Unfortunately this won't get you back any messages that have already gone.
    09-18-11 06:18 AM
    Thanks for the suggestion. I've checked and mine is already set as MAX for the validity period.

Has anyone else ever encountered the same problem as this??
    09-18-11 09:36 AM
    I had a somewhat similar issue and it was because of BlackBerry Protect. When I restore backed up SMS from an old BB, they stay for a while until I reboot my phone. So maybe it is backup related in your case as well?
    09-26-11 06:40 PM
    I recently encountered the same problem. Also looking for a solution. I too have the validity period set to "Max."
    10-03-11 02:43 PM
    BlackBerries store text messages in the device memory, which is a limited amount of space.

If you guys are keeping a ridiculous amount of messages, then don't. Once the device memory fills, the first thing to be automatically deleted are texts. Nothing you can do about that.

Read, reply and delete... or lose them. Your choice.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-03-11 03:28 PM
    BlackBerries store text messages in the device memory, which is a limited amount of space.

If you guys are keeping a ridiculous amount of messages, then don't. Once the device memory fills, the first thing to be automatically deleted are texts. Nothing you can do about that.

Read, reply and delete... or lose them. Your choice.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    But I currently only have SMS messages from like 10 different people and they are not long conversations (only 1 long conversation) and it still deletes messages. I don't have any apps installed other than the ones that came with the phone.
    10-07-11 04:27 AM
    Any updates regarding this issue? Is it preventable?
    10-26-11 04:31 AM
    This may help --> Set how long your device stores messages - User Guide - BlackBerry Bold 9700 Smartphone - 5.0

Or on my BB Bold 9900:

1. On the Home screen, click the Messages icon.
    2. Press the Menu key.
    3. Click Options.
    4. Click Message Display and Actions
    5. Scroll to the bottom to "Days to Keep Messages"
    6. Select "Forever" (or whatever period is allowed)
    7. Press the Menu key.
    8. Click Save.

Hope that helps.
    03-02-12 06:35 AM
    Yes, it is normal for your phone to automatically delete older text messages after a few weeks or so. I've had entire conversations get deleted because the texts were old and not saved. You can use the Menu key to save text messages within certain conversations; and those messages won't get deleted, no matter how old they are. Also follow GreenBerry's comment.
    03-02-12 11:26 AM
    This is the worst thing I experienced in Blackberry phone. And this is the worst investment that can happen for anyone to invest on Blackberry with this useless phone memory which will delete all important messages without notice....
    05-17-13 01:15 PM
    I was searching for this answer since 2 years , thanks a lot. I tried this, let me see if this works.
    01-03-14 11:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD