Hi,

Today when I tried to open 'Text Messages' this message appeared "Uncaught exception: String index out of range: 31". What does it mean and how can I fix it?

I tried pulling the battery, and that did nothing. Do I have to reinstall my OS?

Running OS6 v6.0.0.534 on Bell Network.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Sandro_Bit; 05-30-11 at 04:37 PM.
    05-30-11 04:20 PM
    Backup your data. Then wipe your phone. Go to text message and see if you get an error. If you do get an error you might need to reload the OS.

If not, then restore your data back to your phone and check it again. If you get the same error than your data might be corrupted. Using DM clear out the txt and sms data and check again if you get the error.

Try these steps hopefully you get your issue resolved.
    Sandro_Bit likes this.
    05-30-11 04:57 PM
    thanks will try it out
    05-30-11 05:10 PM
    Didn't help me, I've done all of that, no 3rd party apps at all. It was fine for about a week after a newer OS load of .546 but it's back to that same annoying error and can't get around it!! WTF!??
    05-31-11 01:55 PM
    To fix this go to Contacts, select yourself and send yourself a text message. This just happened to me for the second time since I got my Bold a few months ago. Both times this managed to fix it.
    08-20-11 06:06 PM
    My solution was to connect to the Desktop Manager Software > perform full backup > delete data > select SMS messages. After removing all SMS messages verify you can open the Text Messages app, then you can restore the SMS messages. No need to wipe the device.
    09-12-11 07:17 PM
    i've tried all of these methods...even sent my torch 9800 back to bell...they said it was fixed, but the error message was back the same day the phone was.
    12-01-11 10:16 AM
    i've tried all of these methods...even sent my torch 9800 back to bell...they said it was fixed, but the error message was back the same day the phone was.
    Well, I recommend reloading the OS now. That should solve the issue, likely it's a corrupted component.
    12-01-11 11:32 AM
    Well, I recommend reloading the OS now. That should solve the issue, likely it's a corrupted component.
    That's what bell did to the phone and like I said, it was fine for like an hour...I sure wish it was a 9810 with os7

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-08-11 09:59 PM
    Was just able to fix this.

The Uncaught Exception message.......in Text Messages.... is just a fancy term for FULL / NO SPACE.

FIX:

1. Go to your Contacts and Highlight (don't Select) a contact that your regularly send Text Messages to.

2. Press the Menu Key and Select Text 'contact name'.

3. Select some of the old messages and press the Delete Button.

4. If no messages appear for the selected contact repeat Step 1 through 3 above.

5. Once you have completed Step 3, it should free up some space and enable you to Select the Text Messages Icon again without the resulting Uncaught Exception message.

6. To free up more space, select the Text Messages Icon.

7. Press the Menu Key.

8. Scroll To and select Delete Prior.

9. This should free up all used space.

Hope the above helps.

Vic
    Duwi3 likes this.
    12-23-11 06:11 AM
    I have had this happen several times, and for me, it was always caused by a txt message left by my voicemail. I solve it by leaving myself a voice mail, wait for the voice mail to send me a txt message telling me that I have a voicemail waiting, I then highlight that notification (on my torch, it is located between the magnifying glass and the speaker volume icon), I then select delete conversation with the BB key, after that, I can open the txt message application. I should mention that this has happened to a couple of my associates as well, all of us have a Torch, and we all are operating under enforced enterprise security. I hope this helps.
    Duwi3 likes this.
    03-01-12 05:34 PM
    I had this on a user's BB Curve (BES). The last SMS corrupted it. I was able to delete the text by going into the main mailbox, BB menu button, Options, Inbox Management, untick Desktop, tick Text Messages, exit and Save. The main inbox view is now texts only. Remove the offending text if you can, or you may have to delete all. Try the Text Messages folder now. If it's working, reverse the previous steps so that emails show in the main inbox
    03-20-12 10:29 AM
    Hi,

Today when I tried to open 'Text Messages' this message appeared "Uncaught exception: String index out of range: 31". What does it mean and how can I fix it?

I tried pulling the battery, and that did nothing. Do I have to reinstall my OS?

Running OS6 v6.0.0.534 on Bell Network.

Thanks!
    wait for next threads
    07-14-12 04:37 AM
    one solution for all:::::::: uncaught exception error.

step 1 : reamove all sms ( need then backup thru blacberry protect)

step 2 : reamove all mails ( need then backup thru blacberry protect)

step 3 : reamove all history in chat application ( even go to option and dont save histore choose)

final process:::

step -4 go to option then application management then application list.

step -5 select application one by one and edit the permission tab and give the permission ""allow" to all application one by one.

step -6 if not response then you may delete social application chat as yahoo,gtalk, and live mesenger or whtasup or facebook for additinally if need then or leave it here..

step- 7 you may re install again and remember to give permission for application " allow" in every section mentioned there.

step - 8 dont linked contacts or address book with others application beside bbm.

step 9 - as we all did many times pull the battery and reboot

step 10- install bbm listed reboot application for reboot

step 11- install memory booster

step 12- the again reboot

for your information :

contact book address is the major issue for "uncaught exeptiop error" handle the contact book gentle dont combine with others application dont install third party application if do then give permission and reboot by "reboot application"

second: no upgradtion require there is the method to swipe the blacberry cause of this action remove contact and application which syncronise between datas as contact and mails and sms...with application thats the reason for uncaught application...

enjoy the all blacberry without error!!!!

mail me at whitelotusvarun@gmail.com for any suggestion..

rgds,
    varun
    07-14-12 04:51 AM
    Similar to comments from wild-goose and Vic040752, the "Uncaught Exception: String index out of range" error indicates that SMS is full.

My approach was to delete just the MMS messages and keep all my text messages:
    (size of 1 MMS = 100 SMS messages)

1. Connect to BB Desktop Software (previously know as Desktop Manager)
    2. Perform a full backup
    3. From the [Device] menu select 'Delete Data'
    4. Click on (*) 'Selected data'
    5. Scroll down to MMS Messages and check the box
    6. Click [Delete]

Once it has finished backing up your MMS messages and deleting them, SMS inbox should work.

regards,
    rama
    08-31-12 07:37 PM
    Thank you for your message about the 31 code. How do I back up data ?
    06-12-13 03:49 PM
    Thank you for your message about the 31 code. How do I back up data ?
    Uh, it said that in the latest post if you did read it. This thread is 2 years old, FYI.
    06-12-13 03:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD