i have the bold 9700 and im wondering if theres a way to tether to my laptop with at&t, i have the unlimited data plan but will it charge me and other fees doin it?
    06-21-10 08:39 PM
    Yes and yes if they catch you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-10 09:04 PM
    Provided you stay under the 5GB cap (nothing is totally unlimited) you should not
    incur additional charges. I'd stay away from things like YouTube or any other
    media heavy sites.

You have a couple of options as to how to get tethering to work.
    1) Pay AT&T an additional charge for a tethering plan. Best method

2) Purchase an app called Tether (one time $50 charge.) There may be others
    but that one seems very solid and gets great reviews.

3) Make a dial up connection and use your phone as a modem.
    06-21-10 09:04 PM
    so theres no other way to do it for free, i just didnt wanna have to pay for the monthly tethering fee or the $50 price for tetherberry app.... whats the dial up one

i wont be using internet very much through my phone, just to maybe look something up at my shop away from home
    06-21-10 09:24 PM
    If you use the option of using the phone as a modem, ATT can tell it and dings you for data. It happened to me.

Your best bet is the Tether program mentioned above (usually $50, but sometimes on sale for $25)

Or download PDAnet (google it). The pc app is $30, or you can floow their instructions to put the app on your BB and just connect by bluetooth without the $30 pc app.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-10 10:01 PM
    so using the tether program att wont charge me unless i go over my data limit?
    06-22-10 12:34 AM
    Well, we make to promises and hold us to nothing.

But, when I used my BB as a Modem (And you can find the instructions here, it's real easy). I got DINGED for data, even though I'm on the "UNLIMITED, But limited to 5GB" data plan.

But, when I use the app based programs like PDAnet or Tether, I don't get the ding on my bill. I think because it's an app on the device and not a direct TCP connection to the WAP like the modem setup is?? (That's just a guess because, using it as a modem, your PC is making the requests to the WAP. But, using a tethering app, the BB is acting like a proxy server and making the request and relaying the data for you.)

Now, that's my case. Your mileage may vary. I suggest you download the trial of Tether or PDAnet and do a little bit of work with it, wait for your bill and see if you get dinged a couple of bucks for data or not before hooking up and transferring 4.9GB of data thinking you are safe below the 5GB mark.
    06-22-10 08:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD