Previously, I've started a thread to find a solution for those (like me) who can't make an initial sync with MS outlook 2007 because of a "NO Internet Connection".

This thread is located here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/tic...nection-70365/

This problem is not MS outlook specific, but it is the ******** DTM who thinks that I don't have an internet connection (when I really do) when it tries to connect to the internet in order to attempt an initial sync with my contacts, calendar and tasks. Apparently, this problem has been in existence since DTM 4.3b17. The reason the internet connection? Not sure, but this shouldn't be required. I have used devices from both Nokia and HTC in the past..both not requiring internet connection for syncing of local PC contacts, calendar tasks.

For more info on the problem, click on the link below:

BBHP: WTF?! Desktop Manager 4.6 Requires An Internet Connection To Setup Synchronization?!?!

I've started a new thread because I've found a temporary solution and will now share it. It will allow other users to find it more easily. I would hate for those who, like me, are suffering from this overdue and overdrawn problem that should have been rectified by RIM long ago.

This is a problem I was facing for the last few days with my Bold and DTM 4.6.

THE TEMPORARY SOLUTION IS, UNFORTUNATELY, A DOWN-GRADE TO DTM 4.2 (SP2)

IN A STEP-WISE FASHION:
    1. If you have DTM 4.6 installed, you need to extract the USB drivers from the install as DTM 4.2.2 only recognizes devices older than the bold. I think it only recognizes device up to and not including the curve. To extract the USB drivers, you will need to search on your local PC "RimUsb.sys" file. It should be located in a folder somewhere in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers. The file "RimUsb.sys" should be in a folder which contains other driver related files including: "RimUsbNT.inf", "RimUsbNT.cat", "RimUsbnt.pnf", "component.man". Copy the entire folder which contains these files onto your desktop
    2. Now after copying, you will need to clean uninstall DTM 4.6 :-(. To Clean Un-install, follow the procedure from the Blackberry Website below by clicking on this link Perform a clean uninstall of BlackBerry Desktop Software. Remember to restart PC.
    3. Now download and install DTM 4.2 SP2. MAKE SURE you right click and RUN AS ADMINSTRATOR on VISTA machine. BEWARE, on a VISTA machine, DTM 4.2 SP2 (4.2.2) will take a while to load. When you double click on the download file, the files will be unzipped, but it may take up to 15-20 minutes for installation screen to appear. It happened to me and others! The whole installation process may take up to 30 minutes. Be patient. Also, DISABLE all ANTIVIRUS and FIREWALL software before you start. A restart will be required.
    4. After complete restart, plug in Bold into USB port (preferably directly into PC/laptop without using a hub). New hardware detection will begin and state that it can't find necessary drivers. Now make hardware detection install the drivers that you've copied onto your desktop from step 1.
    5. You should now be connected and to DTM 4.2 SP2. Sync with outlook without the need of internet!

Hope this helps...those RIM guys really need to get their act together and fix problems like these ASAP or their customers will start looking at the iPhone/HTC. And I thought those Waterloo Engineers were smart..
    09-12-08 07:55 AM
    Congratulation on finding the work around.

I am sure this will be of value to others in the same situation.

I noticed something intersting while doing a v4.6 DTM install yesterday. There is a setting page that allows you to de-select the "Check for updates" feature. After selecting the option, the usual pause while it checks for updates is gone.
    09-12-08 11:17 AM
    Congratulation on finding the work around.

I am sure this will be of value to others in the same situation.

I noticed something intersting while doing a v4.6 DTM install yesterday. There is a setting page that allows you to de-select the "Check for updates" feature. After selecting the option, the usual pause while it checks for updates is gone.
    Cheers. I just hope no other person will have to stress as much as I did. And I hope RIM will have a permanent fix soon. Is there anyone here who can help me and others to fix this problem by putting pressure on RIM? I can't install any apps with DTM 4.2.2. Only sync with Outlook. At least my blackberry has my contacts, calendar, and tasks on it...so its role has been upgraded from a major paper weight to a major potential work horse.

DTM 4.6 is quite buggy in general, even if you didn't have my problem. So not surprised you've come across your update delay. I've also heard of horror stories on sync crashing and incomplete syncing with outlook and lotus notes. I think RIM has a lot of polishing before I can give a stamp of approval and say it's offically better than all my previous smartphones.

Otherwise, great device. Now I'm a happier BB user.
    Last edited by fried_potatoes; 09-12-08 at 12:27 PM.
    09-12-08 12:19 PM
    I am little confused. It is clear you have access to the Internet, you would need that to download both DTM and your OS files and post here.

Are you installing them on a seperate, stand alone computer?

If you used your Internet computer, it should work correctly.
    09-12-08 02:49 PM
    I am little confused. It is clear you have access to the Internet, you would need that to download both DTM and your OS files and post here.

Are you installing them on a seperate, stand alone computer?

If you used your Internet computer, it should work correctly.
    Same computer. I would be the ****** if I was using two computers, one to browse and other (without internet connection) to connect my BB..lol. Here are some relevant settings if you wish to know:

System = Intel Core 2 Quad @ 3.6Ghz, ATI 3870 X2

Windows Vista SP1 = Clean Installed, Single User, Home Premium

Antivirus/Firewall = BitDefender 2008 Internet Security (All disabled when attempting to connection with DTM)

Network/Internet Details = I have two methods of connecting to the internet. This is computer is on a HTTP Proxy-based network. My LAN is connected through this. My other method is a direct connection to the internet (no proxy) via Wireless 3G. I use the second method only if the first one fails as some games and programs don't like the proxy.

I have tried both methods DTM has failed to detect either internet connection, which is required for initial sync with my local outlook contacts, calendar, and tasks. I am not syncing through a network of any sort. The files are located on my C:\.

If anyone else has a better solution, thoughts or even concerns from above mentioned, please let me know

Hope that helps settle the confusion:-)
    09-13-08 07:08 AM
    I can't believe that this is the only solution. There are many posts about this problem. Hasn't anyone found a solution yet? (If it isn't obvious, I am also having this problem.)
    10-09-08 07:33 PM
    Newbie here!

Many thanks for posting your workaround on this extremely tiresome "no internet connection" error. I've tried several things from other forums, but haven't done the DTM downgrade that apparently is the fix yet. Plan to do that later this evening. I'm thinking a few beers might help me get up my nerve. LOL

However, it is pretty unreasonable for RIM not to have addressed this issue yet. Seems like this is both a "not uncommon" issue, as well as a "not so very new" issue.

But I'll say this, my lovely new Curve is far far superior to my RIM 950. Ah...now that's when life was simple....
    01-04-09 03:37 PM
    Well, figured out this work around but I guess I didnt look hard enough because I would have loved to read your post and get the fix from you rather than spend the 3 days it took me to figure out the downgrade to 4.2.2. AND get the drivers... its works but here is my question:

Now that I have succesfully installed 4.2.2, is there a way to upgrade to 4.7? Do I really want to? (i.e. am i missing anything?)

thanks from a new BB owner!
    02-17-09 02:37 PM
    Where can I download an older version you are speaking of?
    10-16-09 08:25 AM
    google "blackberry desktop software version 4.3" Sorry i cannot paste the link because crackberry says I have to post 10 times before I can do that. It was the first hit on google i ended up having to google it rather than navigate to it at the BB site. they dont seem to make it easy to find the older stuff FWIW, I have a new PC in my office now and I have version 5 with no troubles now. I dont know what the problem was though. I still have WinXP Pro. There must be some software or setting that inhibits that software.
    10-16-09 08:43 AM
    10-16-09 10:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD