How is it overall compared to Google Maps?

Does it make my Bold have to have the GPS on at all times, thus draining the battery, or can I still turn it on or off manually? And on that note, will AmazeGPS automatically switch my GPS on, or no? **The reason I ask is because battery life is a big deal with me and my phones, so in terms of GPS, I want it set at Location Off at all times, unless I myself switch it to Location On, such as a case where I would be driving and get completely lost -- only THEN would I set my phone's GPS to Location On, so I could then go in to a mapping app to get directions...

Lastly, is AmazeGPS completely free?
    Last edited by Turrese; 08-12-09 at 12:27 PM.
    08-12-09 12:24 PM
    It's not a replacement for Google maps, it gives turn-by-turn directions while you're traveling, out loud over the speaker or audio jack.

It's totally free (EDIT: as long as you have a data plan), and yes, you can turn GPS off when you're not using it, same as always.

Gokivo kicks amAze's ****, but Gokivo won't be free forever. You can find it in App World.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by digitalb0y; 08-12-09 at 12:36 PM.
    08-12-09 12:32 PM
    Sweet, thanks! I'll check that one out right now!
    08-12-09 12:33 PM
    I'm pretty sure you will disappointed in using AmAze. I had it and it's not very good. I also tried Lifeinpocket, which was better, but not great. Then I found Gokivo Navigator. It's very good. Beats the others, and it's also free.
    08-12-09 12:43 PM
    avoid it. it sucks
    08-12-09 12:50 PM
    avoid it. it sucks
    I gotta agree with you its a completely horrible program.
    08-12-09 12:52 PM
    About Gokivo...

I was reading a little about it on BB App World, and I thought I glanced over a part where it said it was a free TRIAL...

If that is the case, is it just gonna stop working after a set amount of time, or what?

I would prefer to have a "full" version of something, as opposed to a trial. So, what's the deal on that note with Gokivo?
    08-12-09 12:53 PM
    3+ months later, it hasn't stopped working for me, nor have i been asked to pay or register....
    08-12-09 01:36 PM
    I use AMaze. It's pretty good on my bold. It works in two ways,
    first when you calculate a route in arrow mode is downloads data ONCE to get you from where you are to where you are going. It never downlaods data again unless you stray from your path and a recalculation is required. The other way with maps, requires a consatnt data stream as it downlaods new maps to view during your whole route. (the frequency of the downloads is of course determined byt the scale of the maps you are using. As far as GPS yes it automatically tunrs it on, and you can manually turn it off.

The one thing is that the display never goes black when AMAze is on. SO that will chew battery pretty quick. I sent a request that they figure out how to off the display while allowing the gps and voice command to continue functioning.. lets see if that happens.

I happen to like the fact it uses voice navigation, unlike BBmaps or googlemaps.
    08-18-09 10:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD