Did they get rid of the ability to log into BIS and change the PIN to all zeros? That used to work.
    07-21-09 11:19 AM
    I sold my Bold and forgot to release my PIN so I called Att and they had no idea what I was talking about. I asked for Blackberry support at Att and they knew what I was talking about and released my PIN in 2 minutes and the buyer was happy to get the Bold connected to his BIS account.
    07-21-09 11:29 AM
    I'm completely lost here? WHy would you want to release the PIN in order to sell anywayz? What does that do? I'm in the same boat and will be selling my bold soon. The buyer will need the PIN. I assume since my BES via ATT is no more then the buyer will register as his own now... Sorry if this sounds ignorant.
    07-21-09 12:49 PM
    Once a PIN is associated with an account, it is locked to that account. You need to get them to release the PIN so the new owner can associate the PIN with their account.
    07-21-09 12:53 PM
    I'm completely lost here? WHy would you want to release the PIN in order to sell anywayz? What does that do? I'm in the same boat and will be selling my bold soon. The buyer will need the PIN. I assume since my BES via ATT is no more then the buyer will register as his own now... Sorry if this sounds ignorant.
    The problem is the buyer won't be able too. As the poster above me said, the PIN is locked to the account you created, so when the buyer goes to the blackberry page to register his BIS or BES account and he enters the IMEI and PIN it will tell him they are already registered and won't let him or her continue.
    07-21-09 01:22 PM
    im kinda in the same boat here. i purchased a bold off of craigslist and i currently have a curve. im going to contact the seller tomorrow to have them call at&t to release the PIN.

if i just swap my sim card between phones, will i be able to sync all my emails with the device im using by just logging into the e-mail set-up? or is it a more complicated process?
    07-22-09 05:49 AM
    My GF bought a friends Bold: We went to the AT&T store to setup a BB data plan and the AT&T rep did all the work for us. We knew the owner's name and e-mail account. Within 2 minutes the rep had set up her data plan, had gotten the PIN re-assigned and everything has been fine since then.

Hope it helps.
    07-22-09 06:13 AM
    I Wish I had done that. I had to figure out the guy's account info so I could actually use the email services. I was getting all of his emails lol!

I'm currently using his account, because it was such a giant task just to get data working on the phone. It seriously took almost 2 hours at the AT&T store.

He's not using the account though, because he switched to an iPhone, I don't think it will be a big deal.
    08-01-09 01:28 PM
    how much are you going to sell it for? i may be interested!
    08-01-09 01:33 PM
    I am switching over to verizon from att. Att gave me the unlock code and everything worked fine. So, I have a unlocked bold. Am I correct with the understanding that I still need to contact att and get my pin released before selling? if so, is it my best bet to contact blackberry tech at att? Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-09 02:05 PM
    Don't you just call them and ask them to remove the ESN off your account? Tell them you're upgrading and selling your current device and need the ESN removed so the buyer can put it on their account.
    08-01-09 02:26 PM
    When you call ATT Customer Service they are working off of scripts. So after several rounds with a nit wit I asked for a supervisor. Explained the situation to her, and she asked me for the pin (located under the battery). She then went several rounds with level one support and that guy released the pin. Done!

I tested to make sure and no more emails to the BB.

Phil
    08-03-09 01:23 PM
    Maybe I'm just super slow, but I don't really understand where the PIN release is necessary...please help me understand...

I've had a Curve before and when I bought my Bold, I gave my Curve to my gf to use since her phone was in bad condition. All I had to do was change my BIS settings (PIN/IMEI) to my new Bold and then log into her BIS settings and change her PIN/IMEI to my old Curve. That worked like a charm.

Is there something else I'm missing here?

Or is the process I described above, actually the "PIN release" process?
    08-03-09 01:33 PM
    Maybe I'm just super slow, but I don't really understand where the PIN release is necessary...please help me understand...

I've had a Curve before and when I bought my Bold, I gave my Curve to my gf to use since her phone was in bad condition. All I had to do was change my BIS settings (PIN/IMEI) to my new Bold and then log into her BIS settings and change her PIN/IMEI to my old Curve. That worked like a charm.

Your old PIN might have been automatically released because you registered a new BB to your account. The people that are having issues are the ones that are going to other carriers or going to non Blackberry phones and want to sell them.
    08-03-09 02:06 PM
    ok here is the process and why's...i work in att data support...the best 'PIN release' process would be AFTER you sell your device, have the buyer call in and ask for Consumer Data Support dept. once there, explain that just purchased device and to make things easier have sellers contact number so we can conf call and get permission to delete acct on BIS. per RIM we have to get permission to delete accts for security reasons because the dev PIN and IMEI can be retrieved from either the back of the device or in status. i know it is a hassle and frustrating, but if it is a stolen device we would not know.
    08-03-09 04:32 PM
    I called AT&T and told them I was going over seas for work and they did it no problem. Took about 2 min.
    08-03-09 04:46 PM
    like someone mentioned before cant u just delete all your email accts under bis and just sell it? sounds simple unless its more complicated.
    08-03-09 05:35 PM
    Its so much easier to release a PIN when the device stays on the assigned network (AT&T in this case).

Even if you delete all your current emails, your device itself will still be associated with the address and all future emails will arrive on the device as well. Getting the PIN released can be quite a task...however, if you play your cards right, it can take as little as 2-3 mins.

It also depends on your situation, but like I said, its much much easier when its simply switching owners, rather than networks.
    08-03-09 05:48 PM
    deleteing the emails from device and/or BIS does not delete the username which the PIN is associated with. that is really the issue. you can call in and ask for your username/acct to be deleted from BIS. just verify PIN and username.
    08-03-09 06:12 PM

yeah, you are missing the fact the OP switched to an iphone, not to a blackberry. so the "linking your bis account to your new pin, therefore release the old pin" wont work in this case because iphones have no pin, which in terms means that he cant release bold's pin.

the easiest way would be giving your username and pass of your bis account to the buyer if you are not switching to a blackberry. iphones dont need bis account therefore you will never use it
    08-03-09 06:37 PM
    Guys, I did it. Just as Clownfart says. Call AT&T and choose the technical support option, then u ask forConsumer Data Support. They will get it rectified in no time at all. Just have your PIN handy, and some basic info about the seller of the phone - most important you must have a contact number for the seller (person who gave u the phone -legitimate). They call the seller while u wait, he/she is there they confirm it is not stolen and presto! They release the PIN.
    08-08-09 09:44 AM
    Hey guys, I ran into a little issue. I purchased a second Bold for my g/f, it was a locked to Vodafone Spain but I was able to unlock it. Everything works fine but the previous owner hasn't released his pin and we still receive his emails. I've contacted him about it several times and that I'm getting his personal emails but it looks like he isn't going to cooperate. Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to resolve this. I've tried goin on the Vodafone Spain site but can't find a customer service contact. any help is appreciated.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-09 01:03 PM
    Well I just got one off of eBay and have to call AT&T in the morning to release the PIN. I will ask for Customer data support as has been said to do.
    08-16-09 09:31 PM
    waaaait.

isn't the PIN of the phone the code to identify it and add people on BBM? (:

what the **** means 'RELEASE A PIN?' :S
    08-16-09 11:41 PM
    The PIN can't be released or removed from a BB device.
    Your PIN is locked to your BIS account and the PIN must be released from your account in order to sell it.

This way the new BB owner can create a new BIS account to register the same PIN on his/her new BIS account.
    08-17-09 06:36 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD