From my profile it is clear that I have an At&T blackberry 9700 which is currently running on .405 - I believe that this is At&T's official version. Does anyone know whether they are lazy and do not provide the newest official software or is there something else in the mix. I see other companies offering .6 and above so I am just wondering if AT&T is being a problem yet again.

Please do not suggest that I take 3 hours out of my day and learn how to place the other version off the web. I know my way around computers very well but I do not feel like screwing up my phone or messing around with it for 3 hours.
    05-26-10 08:39 AM
    I think AT&T is slow to release updates. It might be multiple reasons...they want to do lots of field tests before putting their name on an "official" OS or maybe they're too busy prepping for the next thing? My 9700 came with 296 (i believe) then after more field testing they released 405 which for me was really stable.

Maybe someone with some inside knowledge can give better info though.
    05-26-10 08:46 AM
    According to blackberry.com, .405 is official from at&t... took me all of 30 seconds to check.

If .405 is working for you then leave it. If you want something new, get .593, .656, or .680. They're all solid releases. Takes about 30 minutes, not 3 hours.
    05-26-10 09:05 AM
    From my profile it is clear that I have an At&T blackberry 9700 which is currently running on .405 - I believe that this is At&T's official version YES. Does anyone know whether they are lazy and do not provide the newest official software YES or is there something else in the mix NO. I see other companies offering .6 and above so I am just wondering if AT&T is being a problem yet again YES.

Please do not suggest that I take 3 hours out of my day and learn how to place the other version off the web 30 MINUTES MAX!. I know my way around computers very well but I do not feel like screwing up my phone NEVER GONNA HAPPEN or messing around with it for 3 hours 30 MINUTES MAX!.
    Be brave, or wait... your choice
    05-26-10 09:10 AM
    ATT is almost ALWAYS one of the last adopters. They have a LOT riding on any OS upgrade. Some of the smaller companies that release intermediate releases can afford to be 'on the cutting edge' and worry about potential problems later. Could you imagine if ATT released a buggy OS? As an example- one of the releases out there for the 9700 screwed up people's Slacker. They then complained to Slacker when it didn't work. Well, it wasn't Slackers fault that they used an un-official release that probably wasn't tested with Slacker. I'll put up with a bit of a wait to have a stable, completely tested OS. And getting antsy about when, when, when, just makes the wait even longer. When it shows, it shows. then I wait a bit longer to be sure it's actually working!
    05-26-10 09:10 AM
    My OS is pretty stable - only on one or 2 occasions I had problems which I had to go to the internet for. I still have unresolved problems with the wifi and I was hoping AT&T would release the new OS to see if that is going to work.

As for the buggy OS - it would not be the first time - look at apple's original release on the iphone 3g it was horrible I am sure there are a couple of other ones. It is just that AT&T seems to be slowest one - on the same note Tmobile is just as big and they released the new one didn't they?
    05-26-10 09:16 AM
    on the same note Tmobile is just as big and they released the new one didn't they?
    Yeah but its nothing special
    05-26-10 09:44 AM
    Additionally I can see att being big in the "US companies who go international market". Since they are GSM I can use my corp BB when I travel over seas for work (work for a large intl company). this is a large portion of their client base so OS updates are going to be less frequent. When you see providers who are more "individual/family plan" based, they can afford a few buggy OSes as they would see their clients wanting new features.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-10 10:14 AM
    does anyone have a link to a guide for updating the firmware? I download firmware and try to update it via BB desktop manager but it still shows the default at&t version # on my bb
    05-26-10 10:38 AM
    Chasing every new update will only get you a poor operational phone. I would wait till something that make a REAL improvement comes out like 6.0. Even then I am not sure it is worth it.

I need dependability and I do not buy into the "I get 10 days between charging" posts!"
    05-26-10 11:17 AM
    does anyone have a link to a guide for updating the firmware? I download firmware and try to update it via BB desktop manager but it still shows the default at&t version # on my bb
    Here is the latest. Personally I prefer .593 but it's your call. The process is the same for any OS.
    Hope this helps

http://forums.crackberry.com/f146/ne...-680-a-472990/
    05-26-10 02:28 PM
    word man. Im running .405...and I don't feel like adding on these leaked OS. I have been waiting for the next official release for a while....I hope it comes soon.
    05-26-10 02:34 PM
    word man. Im running .405...and I don't feel like adding on these leaked OS. I have been waiting for the next official release for a while....I hope it comes soon.
    Official from at&t or official from blackberry? Cause there are plenty of official versions out...
    05-26-10 02:42 PM
    Here is the latest. Personally I prefer .593 but it's your call. The process is the same for any OS.
    Hope this helps

http://forums.crackberry.com/f146/ne...-680-a-472990/
    Why do you prefer .593?

I am just curious

05-26-10 03:28 PM
    Official from at&t or official from blackberry? Cause there are plenty of official versions out...
    Official from at&t I mean
    05-26-10 03:58 PM
    Don't fix something that isn't broken. I just did 3 of my mobile to 680 in leass than an hour...but that was my choice to do so or wait it out.

05-26-10 05:51 PM
    Why do you prefer .593?
    I am just curious
    Maybe I stated that wrong. What I meant was that .593 has been a solid and "happy" OS for me with good battery life and so far no issues. I have read several bad reviews on .656 so I was staying with what wasn't broken. Maybe if .680 gets good reviews, I'll up it then.
    05-26-10 08:40 PM
    Maybe I stated that wrong. What I meant was that .593 has been a solid and "happy" OS for me with good battery life and so far no issues. I have read several bad reviews on .656 so I was staying with what wasn't broken. Maybe if .680 gets good reviews, I'll up it then.
    Thanks

Being new to BB, I stayed with the Official AT&T .405 until last week when I upgraded to .656 and to .680 today.

Is there any truth that the Providers optimize software for their particular system? With my WM background, the more one could stay away from the Provider's ROM, the less the bloatware.

05-26-10 09:29 PM
    I'm with at&t as well, and I was always nervous about updating the os release from a different carrier, but I have not had one problem since my first update (I've now done 3). I just updated to 680 last night & no issues at all. It really is an easy process & I've never had any issues with my phone after updating. If you decide to do it, the step by step directions can be found here at Crackberry, of course!
    05-26-10 09:52 PM
    On ATT also. I went from .405 to .593 where I am now. I have noticed absolutely no difference. Maybe the internet is a tad faster, but I'm not sure if it's just wishful thinking on my part.
    It would be nice to have a version history with each update, that lists the specific updates made.
    05-26-10 10:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD