Hi All,
    I'm fairly new at this stuff, so If I'm asking the wrong questions, let me know. (And tell me the right questions!)

Anyway, I've only had y Bold for a little while. I have not updated the os, as I'm not sure what it'd do for the unit. I have an AT&T Bold with the .167 OS. I see that there is a .185 and now a .190 OS. How do I know if I should upgrade? I keep reading stuff about the need to remove the vendor kernel (and I don't know what that means!). Will it change how my system interacts with AT&T's network? Does AT&T have branded upgrades? Where are they found, if so?

Is there somewhere to research what the upgrade provides to the end user (like what bugs are fixed, etc)?

Anything else I need to known before making a decision?

Thanks!
    Brian
    11-23-08 02:01 PM
    There are a few Bold 9000 threads on this site that give pretty specific directions on how to install new OS's. I am also an AT&T customer that just bought his Bold a few weeks ago. When I used it I was pretty happy but after looking into the possibilities of upgrades, applications, etc; the sky seems to be the limit with this device.
    To answer your question about what an upgrade will do; I upgraded to .185 from .167. All I did was follow the directions on this Crackberry site and it downloaded the new version. When I rebooted the phone, I noticed a few different things. Here they are:
    1. The trackball felt quicker, going from app to app. No lag
    2. Blackberry Maps became a new option
    3. Battery life is much improved from .167
    4. The browser was also quicker
    5. I have yet to have a crash or shut down like many others with older Bold OS's.
    6. I have no issues with reading on AT&t's service. Everything seems the same.

Hope this helps..
    11-23-08 02:13 PM
    You shouldn't have any issues with AT&T service as all that is controlled by the service books for the device.

I am running .190 and it's great compared to .167. I never tried .185.

You are not removing the vender kernel you are removing the vender.xml file on your machine.
    11-23-08 02:17 PM
    I'm running .185 and its runs good. No crashes and its super stable

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-08 03:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD