Looking forward to switch a wireless carrier from Verizon for Onyx or Driftwood. Which carrier do you recommend to get most out of 9700 device? I’m quiet confused with the VoWi-Fi (UMA???) support thing.

Please correct me if I misunderstood anything.

• Both Onyx and Driftwood devices are Wi-Fi enabled, can surf Internet with WAP connected
    • Onyx can NOT make a phone call via Wi-Fi no matter what, it’s disabled by AT&T
    • International calls will not be charged as long as call was established with VoWi-Fi (UMA)

Thanks ahead of you help and advice!
    08-13-09 06:21 PM
    yup, thats why i like tmo. its really helpful when travelling.
    08-13-09 06:32 PM
    I would have to say T-Mobile since I've been with them for years. Last I checked they also provided the best value for the plan minutes and data that I needed.
    08-13-09 06:43 PM
    I wuld deff go wit T-Mobile also
    08-13-09 07:27 PM
    Then T-Mobile here I come...
    08-13-09 07:53 PM
    You should go with the TMO one since it will be almost the same except it will have UMA and the onyx won't. Also TMO has some pretty cheap plans. Unlimited texting for a whole family is just $20
    08-13-09 07:54 PM
    yup, id pick tmo any day. its cheap. great coverage too
    08-13-09 09:36 PM
    t-mo driftwood
    08-13-09 09:40 PM
    Tmo all day everyday.
    08-13-09 10:01 PM
    You should go with the TMO one since it will be almost the same except it will have UMA and the onyx won't. Also TMO has some pretty cheap plans. Unlimited texting for a whole family is just $20
    It's $25 now.

OP, you're correct on UMA. Now I'd check coverage maps in your area. T-Mobile does have UMA but what if you venture outside of your house and the coverage is poor? I'd go with T-Mobile if you needed voice minutes. You can get unlimited UMA calling for $9.99/month added to your plan. T-Mobile also offers more minutes than AT&T at the same prices. Check if T-Mobile has 3G coverage in your area. If you don't have 3G with T-Mobile in your area (you can check their coverage maps), go with AT&T. There's no reason to get the Driftwood with T-Mobile if you don't have 3G in your city.
    08-13-09 10:01 PM
    you have to rem, many ppl buy phones strictly for the status. just look at all the iphone users out there. just kidding. but if you are going to buy the onyx, they will eventually get your city covered by 3g. 2 yrs is a long time to have a phone. thats just my opinion tho
    08-13-09 10:29 PM
    Tmo's 3G coverage isnt great, but its improving and the UMA is a great feature.
    08-13-09 10:35 PM
    I've been AT&T since they were Pacific Bell Wireless in my area and I've been satisfied with my service thus far.
    08-13-09 10:51 PM
    although tmo's 3G coverage isn't that great, at least when you do have it you don't have to worry about att's crippled 3G network due to iPhones..
    08-13-09 11:39 PM
    I was AT&T before switching to Verizon due to crappy service on my area and now I need to switch to tmo simply because I can't afford Verizon anymore. And UMA is absolutely brilliant.
    08-13-09 11:41 PM
    I was AT&T before switching to Verizon due to crappy service on my area and now I need to switch to tmo simply because I can't afford Verizon anymore. And UMA is absolutely brilliant.
    Verizon is the definition of "rape" when it comes to cell carriers. All US ones suck. In the UK, I can get a free Bold for signing a new contract. Verizon is the worse. Crippled phones (GPS didn't work with the 8330, dunno about the Tour), and ridiculous pricing. Yes, I want to pay $90/month for what I can get on T-Mobile for $75 or Sprint for $52.50 (500 minute plan at $70 and use some credit union discount)! (/sarcasm) AT&T is just as bad on pricing but at least you have GSM. UMA is great if you have poor reception in your area, roaming with no coverage on T-Mobile or are traveling internationally.
    08-13-09 11:50 PM
    Thank you all! Sounds like T-Mobile is the only option to me.

Will I have to pay for the UMA plan in order to make a VoWi-Fi call on Driftwood device?
    I'm wondering if it's going to cause me to pay more than what I'm currently paying for my Storm.
    08-14-09 02:51 AM
    T-Mobile is the way to go really.. Cheap phones, Cheap plans.. you can even get on t-mobile if you have bad credit and still use your blackberry on flexpay..which is the same as the normal montly just with no discounts(upgrades, and any changes made on acc takes effect next billing..when normal post paid acc takes effect same day and charge later)

And the way tmo 3G is looking it isnt great ok but if you live in a area with it you'll be fine..Look like t-mobile kept they word and by late 09(Nov,Dec) they should have full 3G

And no you don't need to pay for UMA it just enables soon your on wifi it picks up..Buuut it dont work if your roaming on a different carrier besides t-mobile..For ex: if your somewhere deep south (Mississippi, alabama, Tennessee) where they is alot of woods and tmo dont have good service down there you most likly be on a different carrier but you wont have UMA but you would just be on WI-FI for data
    Last edited by YoungAceAtlanta; 08-14-09 at 05:52 AM.
    08-14-09 05:48 AM
    AT&T for me. I used to be have both AT&T and T-mobile. I would look at my AT&T phone and have full service but I would look at my T-Mobile phone and it would have no service. You get what you pay for, AT&T may be expensive but compared to T-mobile it has "more bars in more places" lol yes sounds cheesy. T-mobile may suffice others but If I need coverage its better to know that I will have coverage than to guess if they have coverage their yet.
    08-14-09 06:27 AM
    Best bang for the buck; T-Mobile...

I'll be ditching AT&T when this model comes out
    08-14-09 08:31 AM
    i would NEVER go to AT&T unless I desperately wanted an iPhone.
    Simple
    08-14-09 08:40 AM
    Onyx will be on both correct?
    08-14-09 12:13 PM
    Onyx will be on both correct?
    Technically yes. The Driftwood is the T-Mobile Onyx just with T-Mobile 3G (1700) instead of 850/1900 3G.
    08-14-09 02:38 PM
    For those who complain about VZW or ATT's price vs Tmobile's price.....check ATT and Verizon's coverage maps and compare them to tmobile.......I think you will understand the price difference a lot more.
    08-14-09 03:07 PM
    I would go AT&T, resale value if you ever decide to sell would be great as unlocked, it can used on Roger's 3G network. Plus AT&T is just that much better lol
    08-14-09 03:32 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD