Hi all,

Recently purchased 3 t-mobile bold 9700's in Denver. All 3 are hooked up to a t-mobile family plan, unlimited data, web, nation calling.

I'm wondering (as we are Canadian) which networks these will work on in Canada. I understand that i need to get them unlocked and thats not a problem.

Also, once they are unlocked, I'm assuming its possible to change sim cards and use on tmobile and telus/bell or rogers. Is this correct?

Thanks for all your help in advance.

P.S. is it common to be able to purchase BB's on tmobile for the 3 year contract price? i.e. 3 year contract price is 129.99, we paid 129.99 each for all three phones and didn't have to sign contracts...
    05-31-10 02:58 AM
    You will be on The Rogers network as Rogers is the only True GSM carrier in Canada. However Telus maybe able to support it if the BlackBerries get unlocked, but your safer bet is rogers. Bell... well they are just useless good old CDMA
    05-31-10 06:53 AM
    You will be on The Rogers network as Rogers is the only True GSM carrier in Canada. However Telus maybe able to support it if the BlackBerries get unlocked, but your safer bet is rogers. Bell... well they are just useless good old CDMA
    ok. Both Bell and Telus have a HSPA network. Same as Rogers. A Bell 9700, unlocked will work on any of the three carriers.

That said. tmobile uses aws (1700/2100) network, so the only carrier is wind as far as I know. Rogers Edge might work. I really don't know though about that.
    05-31-10 07:04 AM
    I'm fairly certain that you should've paid a lot more for those BB's, either that or you we're seriously misled. $129.99 is the 2 year contract price. If you did only pay $129.99 each you probably have the remaining price of the phones on a payment plan. But this is doesn't add up either since you're Canadian..

Depending on which city you're in, WIND will provide you with 3G and BIS (with the proper service books). Rogers Wireless will support your T-Mobile 9700 but with no 3G. Telus/Bell will not work at all.
    05-31-10 07:27 AM
    ok i'm going to straighten a couple things out here...

Your T-Mobile 9700s will work on any carrier(Telus, Bell, Fido, Rogers, WIND) in Canada when unlocked... BUT BUT!! WIND will be the only carrier that can support the device for 3G, as T-Mobile and WIND share the same AWS frequencies (1700/2100).

The other carriers, Bell, Telus, Rogers, Fido, can support the device as well, but they will be EDGE only... No ifs, ands, or buts with that... No way to change it.

So the bottom line, if you don't care about 3G, then any carrier will work, if you want 3G, WIND is your only option right now (if there are in your city).

Hope this clears everything up.
    05-31-10 09:35 AM
    ok i'm going to straighten a couple things out here...

Your T-Mobile 9700s will work on any carrier(Telus, Bell, Fido, Rogers, WIND) in Canada when unlocked... BUT BUT!! WIND will be the only carrier that can support the device for 3G, as T-Mobile and WIND share the same AWS frequencies (1700/2100).

The other carriers, Bell, Telus, Rogers, Fido, can support the device as well, but they will be EDGE only... No ifs, ands, or buts with that... No way to change it.

So the bottom line, if you don't care about 3G, then any carrier will work, if you want 3G, WIND is your only option right now (if there are in your city).

Hope this clears everything up.
    You did not straighten anything up, since your information is wrong.

Providers a T-mobile 9700 will work with:
    - Wind (3G)
    - Mobilicity (3G)
    - Fido (2G)
    - Rogers (2G)

Providers it will not work with:
    - Telus
    - Bell
    05-31-10 10:09 AM
    You did not straighten anything up, since your information is wrong.

Providers a T-mobile 9700 will work with:
    - Wind (3G)
    - Mobilicity (3G)
    - Fido (2G)
    - Rogers (2G)

Providers it will not work with:
    - Telus
    - Bell
    He did clear it up , because BELL AND TELUS have HSPA Networks which use GSM technologies...

Clearly stating that if the OP wants to use 3G WIND will be his best option while rogers, fido, bell and telus will only get him EDGE or 2G
    05-31-10 10:14 AM
    He did clear it up , because BELL AND TELUS have HSPA Networks which use GSM technologies...

Clearly stating that if the OP wants to use 3G WIND will be his best option while rogers, fido, bell and telus will only get him EDGE or 2G
    My understanding is the the Bell & Telus networks are 3G only (no EDGE or 2G), so the T-Mobile phones that are AWS will not work on them. What you are saying would be true for Rogers/Fido. So the previous poster (schmeat) is totally correct.
    Last edited by blahzay; 05-31-10 at 10:29 AM.
    05-31-10 10:25 AM
    Telus and Bell use the Rogers network for 2G, so yes they will work on those carriers...

and i left mobilicity out because they are only in toronto at the time, so therefore useless to the OP as based on his username he is from BC... lol

so i did clear it up and am correct...
    05-31-10 10:56 AM
    I have buddies with unlocked Telus 9700 and they do not work on 2G. Only 3G.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-10 11:12 AM
    dont work in what regard... did you check the options in, options, mobile network, network mode, set to 2g and 3g... make sure its not set to just 3g then it will never kick over the edge at all...
    05-31-10 11:32 AM
    telus and bell are 3g+ carriers only they do not fall back to 2g or edge, nor do they have roaming agreements with rogers to utilize 2g or edge (bell does in saskatchewan but i think that is the only province)

from what i understand, tmobile phones will only work fully with wind, partially work with rogers and fido
    05-31-10 01:07 PM
    telus and bell are 3g+ carriers only they do not fall back to 2g or edge, nor do they have roaming agreements with rogers to utilize 2g or edge (bell does in saskatchewan but i think that is the only province)

from what i understand, tmobile phones will only work fully with wind, partially work with rogers and fido
    exactly. you'll never get Rogers edge with a bell/Telus 9700 unless you put a rogers sim in it and unlock it.
    05-31-10 02:33 PM
    Tmobile will only work with wind, fido, rogers, and mobilciti, I know this cuz just today I got my tmobile unlocked 9700 scanned at bell to see if it was compatible with there network and its not !!!!! WILL NOT WORK WITH BELL OR TELUS !!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-10 03:25 PM
    well i stand corrected... i just double checked and you guys were correct that telus and bell do not fall back on the rogers network for edge...

there you have it, i admit my incorrectness lol
    05-31-10 06:03 PM
    We acknowledge your admittance of incorrectness
    05-31-10 07:22 PM
    Hey! lol even tho i thought i was right, i admitted i was incorrect

anyways, back to the subject at hand lol
    05-31-10 08:52 PM
    First off I would just like to say thanks for all your replies.

It looks as though Rogers/Fido is my only real option as i've never even heard of Wind, out on the West Coast.

I'll unlock one or two of the devices later in the week and post my results asap.
    05-31-10 09:18 PM
    i read wind mobile is supposed to launch in vancouver june 3
    05-31-10 09:39 PM
    604Storm... wait until June 3rd LOL WIND will be launching in Vancouver, you should at least look into them... WIND Mobile | Home
    05-31-10 10:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD