Hello all! I am a user on ATT and I am currently using a pantech link. Somebody wants to sell me their tmobile 9780 for around $175-$200. No drop damage and overall 9/10 quality. I'm dying for the 9900 but that does not seem possible for a long time. The 9810 is wayyy too heavy and I'm in need of a better camera. Pull the trigger on this deal or wait for the 9900 and get on another 2 year contract? Thanks in advance for all of your advice!
    08-11-11 09:22 PM
    You know you won't be able to get 3G on AT&T with a TMO device, right?
    08-11-11 09:29 PM
    First, the T-Mobile 9780 will not get 3G on AT&T, so if you need 3G look for an AT&T 9700 or Rogers 9780, both are compatible for AT&T's 3G frequencies. Second, the 9900 probably won't hit for a couple months there, so it's up to you if you want a BlackBerry now or wait. But you could always resell them later down the road closer to release.
    08-11-11 09:32 PM
    I'm confused. You are on ATT or T-Mo?

If you are on TMo, I would say pull the trigger on a 2 year contract...I suppose if you are on ATT, same goes, assuming ATT CS is as cooperative with you as TMo has been with me. Here's why.

If you are a good TMo customer, there is NO problem getting a full upgrade benefit 12-14mos into a 24 month contract, as long as you are upgrading or "like-grading". If the new one shows up sooner rather than later, chances are you can switch, although the clock resets on the two years again.

Added complication: the merger may or may NOT happen within the next 1-2 years. The anti-trust decision is much more political than it is legal and comsumer concious.

I say, go for it. Nothing more frustrating than a phone that doesn't meet your needs or work for you. Take that from me and that Android beer coaster sitting on my desk. It's not even good as a beer coaster.
    08-11-11 09:38 PM
    First, the T-Mobile 9780 will not get 3G on AT&T, so if you need 3G look for an AT&T 9700 or Rogers 9780, both are compatible for AT&T's 3G frequencies. Second, the 9900 probably won't hit for a couple months there, so it's up to you if you want a BlackBerry now or wait. But you could always resell them later down the road closer to release.
    That is correct.

Bell and Telus 9780 will also get 3G on AT&T.

Also, the camera on the 9900 lacks autofocus. If you need to take close-up pictures, the 9900 will not be as good as the 9780.

See this thread and this one.
    08-11-11 09:45 PM
    I'm confused. You are on ATT or T-Mo?

If you are on TMo, I would say pull the trigger on a 2 year contract...I suppose if you are on ATT, same goes, assuming ATT CS is as cooperative with you as TMo has been with me. Here's why.

If you are a good TMo customer, there is NO problem getting a full upgrade benefit 12-14mos into a 24 month contract, as long as you are upgrading or "like-grading". If the new one shows up sooner rather than later, chances are you can switch, although the clock resets on the two years again.

Added complication: the merger may or may NOT happen within the next 1-2 years. The anti-trust decision is much more political than it is legal and comsumer concious.

I say, go for it. Nothing more frustrating than a phone that doesn't meet your needs or work for you. Take that from me and that Android beer coaster sitting on my desk. It's not even good as a beer coaster.
    The OP has AT&T as his carrier. A T-Mobile branded device would be a poor choice, due to lack of 3G.
    08-11-11 09:46 PM
    Well what about this? My buddy has an unlocked 9780 from another carrier and when he registered the imei, it came up as unknown. He told ATT that it's a messaging phone from tmobile and he wants the unlimited data for 10 bucks. I could do the same and profit for awhile, edge doesn't bother me because I have wifi literally everywhere, even at my work place.
    08-11-11 10:19 PM
    Im really wanting to save this upgrade for something good, BB or WM 7.5 is what I want. I'd just be happy with a nice qwerty and 5 mp auto focus camera. Thanks for your opinions so far, I can live with edge speeds since I'm dependent on wifi.
    08-11-11 10:25 PM
    If you haven't already, I say pull the trigger on the 9780. I'm in the same boat as you (I'm actually picking up my unlocked 9780 today!). For the limited browsing I do on my phone, the lack of 3G isn't going to be a dealbreaker...I'm on WiFi most of the time anyway. Save your upgrade, maybe ATT will actually have the 9900 out by then (well, maybe)...

And thank you for your service to our country, Cheeta!
    08-13-11 07:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD