I am currently in the market to get a 9000. I am currently using T-mobile (private), Sprint (biz), and AT&T (biz). I was speaking to a T-mo cust srv rep and trying to add the data service to my T-mo phone. He said that before I can do it I would have to change plans do a one year contract. I've been without a contract for a long time already and I am using SmartAccess 3000 price structure, which sucks. I asked about 3G availability since I heard from other CSRs that it's only available on the G1 and the data cards. So he said if i were to get the unlimited minutes + data plan (US$125/month, +/-) then I could use the 3G via T-mobile on an unlocked Bold 9000; whereas any other plan this is not possible. I have not yet got one, but I will most certainly try it out and see if this CSR was telling the truth. EDGE is not a preference, otherwise the 8900 would be a more appropriate choice. I have done a little research on this site, but everyone seems to have their own opinion and facts are not totally clear. I.e., Bold cannot do 3G on T-mo since it lacks software (what software?), hardware (which internal device/chip?), wrong frequency (which ones?). In any case, I am also trying to do a point-to-point VoIP connection (IP address-to-IP address) with another 9000 (Vodafone) and will see how that works. I was also attracted to PIN to PIN (a BB function) messaging since T-mo charges US0.20 cents per intl message sent, which is ludicrous.

Thanks..
    D.
    06-17-09 05:23 PM
    You cannot use the Bold and 3G on T-Mo. Not possible as due to frequency.
    06-17-09 05:26 PM
    As far as I know the GSM frequencies are the following on the phone (or, "what are they?"):

From Blackberry.com:

UMTS: 2100/1900/850 MHz
    GSM: 1900/1800/900/850/MHz
    North America: 850 MHz GSM/GPRS networks
    North America: 1900MHz GSM�/GPRS networks
    Europe/Asia Pacific: 1800MHz GSM/GPRS networks
    Europe/Asia Pacific: 900MHz GSM/GPRS networks
    The U.S. T-Mobile network predominately uses the GSM/GPRS/EDGE 1900 MHz frequency-band, making it the largest 1900 MHz network in the United States. Service is available in 98 of the 100 largest markets and 268 million potential customers (POPS).

From Wikipedia: (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-Mobile) FWIW!

USA

(3G DATA for the T-Mobile G1) T-Mobile uses a radio frequency band (1700 MHz) for 3G connections that is unique in the world. The carrier claims it allows faster data speeds but the reality is it means that only phones specifically designed for the T-Mobile network will work at full speed.

Thanks - I answered my own questions, concerns.

Edit for the addition of URL which is highly informative:
    forums.t-mobile.com/tmbl/board/message?board.id=Android3&message.id=17962
    Last edited by ddtech; 06-17-09 at 05:58 PM.
    06-17-09 05:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD