07-04-09 07:35 PM
55 123
tools
    Just watched a RIM Live webcast for BES 5.0 and they said that ATT should have their Official 5.0 OS release for Bold and Curve 8900 by the fall.
    This thread is headed toward one of those "user preference" discussions. If Browsing the internet and threaded sms text are important to you, then iPhone with it's coolfactor, and play factor are perfect. But...if you want to continue with a proven business/pleasure/communication device in a class of its own, then hang with the Bold!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-09 03:24 AM
    An Iphone with BIS or BES and a keyboard would be my perfect machine.
    07-02-09 09:43 AM
    Yes, fall should be about right. Long time coming.

Crucial. I asked in another post about how this 5.0 software will affect the bold. I know the tour currently has the "best" browser ever and handles the js better. When 5.0 rolls out I'm assuming these advantages will be equal now on the bold as well? I just jumped over to att and picked up the bold because I felt it was a better phone overall. Am I correct in assuming the only true advantages software wise will be fixed or the bold browser will catch back up to the tours?
    07-02-09 01:13 PM
    Fall? I was hoping for mid-late summer. Oh well, recently upgrading to .282 should hold me over 'til 5.0 releases. Still don't understand why it wouldn't release with the new BBM already in it, but oh well.
    07-02-09 01:23 PM
    Several things irk me about my BB. Again don't get me wrong, I love my Bold, yet I feel there several things lacking. For one, its web browser completely blows and it kind of ticks me off that RIM and its BBs have been around longer than say the Iphone and its web browser can't compete with the Apple's. I also miss threaded SMS and again it kind of ticks me off seeing that BB (RIM) prides themselves on the fact that they are "communication centered devices" yet don't have a native app for threaded SMS, which in my mind help out organizing messages, thus aid in communication. Again part of this frustration stems from the fact that the I phone has been able to nail these two just within the last couple of years or so while RIM has not really taken any steps to rectify the situation even when there are so many of us out there making noise for RIM to hear.
    Threaded SMS? Is that a continues conversation with both party's?? My bold has that. If I don't delete the SMS it keeps the conversation going. Ok it's not Green and Grey like my Iphone was but it gets the job done. For the internet browser, The Iphone does have a better browser, but it's made for that. The Iphone is a Multimedia phone. The Bold a business phone. Bottom line if you want to surf the net and play games on your phone get the Iphone. If you want email, bbm, and things to help you stay in contact with your office, friends, business partners then you get the Bold. I don't mind the browser on the bold. it does what I need it to do when I want t do it. Now for going surfing on the net I have a laptop and a PC. And the iphone cant replace that for me. For playing games I have a PS3 at home and the Iphone cant replace that. It's not fair to compare the 2 phones, because there both made for different reasons. I had the Iphone for over 9 months and it was cool and fun. But that's all it was. The Bold actually helps me get things done and also gives me a little fun. That's why I LOVE MY BOLD
    07-02-09 01:31 PM
    Amen...TheBBman.

Can't wait for the update...hopefully sooner then later!!
    07-02-09 01:56 PM
    ... Don't get me wrong, I LOVE MY BB, I just am frustrated with the OS. I think Rim could do a lot better with the OS. So I guess I will have to wait and see...but I wont wait longer that the aforementioned "date".
    What doesn't the current OS do that you see as a disqualification for remaining with RIM?
    07-02-09 01:58 PM
    What doesn't the current OS do that you see as a disqualification for remaining with RIM?

I'm good as long as a beta or two pops up until the official release.
    07-02-09 02:02 PM
    Oh wow Xplode, didn't figure you for switching. If its worth anything to you, I think the Bold is and will be the best BlackBerry on the market until the release of the 9020. Yes the Tour has a few things going for it, but the Bold is the quickest and has it all.
    Yes, when 5.0 is rolled out, the playing field will be much more level between the two. Again, the 9020 upon release will be the best out. Until then, the 9000 holds that spot. IMHO.
    07-02-09 02:54 PM
    Threaded SMS? Is that a continues conversation with both party's?? My bold has that. If I don't delete the SMS it keeps the conversation going. Ok it's not Green and Grey like my Iphone was but it gets the job done. For the internet browser, The Iphone does have a better browser, but it's made for that. The Iphone is a Multimedia phone. The Bold a business phone. Bottom line if you want to surf the net and play games on your phone get the Iphone. If you want email, bbm, and things to help you stay in contact with your office, friends, business partners then you get the Bold. I don't mind the browser on the bold. it does what I need it to do when I want t do it. Now for going surfing on the net I have a laptop and a PC. And the iphone cant replace that for me. For playing games I have a PS3 at home and the Iphone cant replace that. It's not fair to compare the 2 phones, because there both made for different reasons. I had the Iphone for over 9 months and it was cool and fun. But that's all it was. The Bold actually helps me get things done and also gives me a little fun. That's why I LOVE MY BOLD
    There are some that don't get what you just said, because they refuse to understand the difference. But great point, and I agree.

Oh wow Xplode, didn't figure you for switching. If its worth anything to you, I think the Bold is and will be the best BlackBerry on the market until the release of the 9020. Yes the Tour has a few things going for it, but the Bold is the quickest and has it all.
    Yes, when 5.0 is rolled out, the playing field will be much more level between the two. Again, the 9020 upon release will be the best out. Until then, the 9000 holds that spot. IMHO.
    9020 has a beheemouth of a processor. Too small though, but worth having.
    07-02-09 03:09 PM
    Good point exept that iPhone has overall better intergration among solutions. Once again, my contacts' address for example is not in tune with my Google Map or other GPS map solutions so I need to type in the address to find it. Those tiny things do make a huge difference in the end.

I love my bold but RIM can do better. A lot better.
    07-02-09 03:13 PM
    Is the 4.7 BBM any different from the 4.6 that is currently on the Bold? Anyone know?
    Yes the 4.7 version of BBM is different than 4.6. If you download and install the 5.0 versions that are out there, you'll be using BBM 4.7.
    07-02-09 03:14 PM
    Good point exept that iPhone has overall better intergration among solutions. Once again, my contacts' address for example is not in tune with my Google Map or other GPS map solutions so I need to type in the address to find it. Those tiny things do make a huge difference in the end.

I love my bold but RIM can do better. A lot better.
    I agree with the Iphone had allot of good points and it was an excellent phone for me. But what it breaks down to is the total package of the phone. And (IMO) The Bold is a much better business and communication device. Yes it has some things that could get better on it, but all around the it's the best at what it does. And the I phone is the best at what it does. The reason why this is possible is because both phones do different things. And people need to stop comparing one another. If you have a Bold and complain about the browser or the lack of games or even the camera, Then I am sorry to say but you got the wrong phone. If its a browser you wanted then you should have gotten the Iphone. If it's emails and communication then the bold is for you. ( By you I don't mean you (noxdiurna) lol ). I have used allot of phone and I'll honestly say for my needs (email, excel, calender, calling, sysnc) This is the best phone I ever had.
    07-02-09 03:53 PM
    Thanks CX! ... yeah man i joined the darkside and went back to ATT. Thought i mentioned that i was consdering it awhile back in one of the pm's i had with you awhile back. I believe i once responded to one of your twitter comments about something as well.. But i didnt realise you dont see them unless they follow me (new to twitter as well haha..) My bold shall arrive tomorrow but yeah i just got sick of waiting for the tour and when i tried to preorder VZW gave me a hard time for it. For all the years i have had vzw that was the first time i could say the Customer service was awful.. i was in shock that i was talking to verizon.. well anyways that was enough to make it worth the ETF.. But yeah i just was under the impression that the real differences on the tour are basically software related.. bold still knocks the tour on its rear.. Im patiently awaiting the onyx and then some magnum goodness when that baby comes out... feels good to be back on GSM!
    Last edited by xplode; 07-02-09 at 11:10 PM.
    07-02-09 10:59 PM
    You took the words right out of my mouth
    No, you both took the words right out of my mouth!!

I played around with a coworkers iPhone 3GS today...and I was truly impressed at how much faster and smoother the OS moved because of the fastere processor speed...how fast pages loaded on the Safari browser, and how quick email was pushed to the phone since he was using Exchange for his mail source.

I've gone back and forth from BB to iPhone more times that I will admit, and I looooove my Bold...but it RIM doesn't give me something new and hugely improved from 4.6 with this new 5.0 very soon...I might jump ship.
    07-02-09 11:12 PM
    RIM needs to play catch up on the OS's.
    07-03-09 08:39 AM
    you are very right and they will but remember there are more people on bb mobiles through business and personal use that they will probably take a more streamlined approach to changes rather than a totally diferent experience so people will know there still on a bb
    07-03-09 09:10 AM
    I hope that this is a big improvement over 266.
    dude try 282, i reckon its quite a good improvemenet over 266 while we wait for 5.0
    07-03-09 09:37 AM
    Lots of good points here... the main point I see is that different phones have different strong suits and comparing them to each other is like asking who is the better musician, a virtuoso pianist or violinist? We are all feeling the effects of strong competition in the smartphone mkt and, yes, RIM needs to take note of some of the features that take the spotlight from BB. However, no one device of the calibre we're mentioning here can fairly be compared to another... if you are willing to switch phones for the sake of a feature or two, then so be it. Read the forums and you'll see many who have switched to another phone and have come back; and some who have more than one device that they use for different purposes. Give RIM a chance to adapt. These forums reach their ears and if it takes until fall for rim to tweak 5.0 even a little better based on Apple's latest release, then I'll be willing to wait a little longer. I'm not suffering too badly with my bold.
    07-03-09 11:04 AM
    Lots of good points here... the main point I see is that different phones have different strong suits and comparing them to each other is like asking who is the better musician, a virtuoso pianist or violinist? We are all feeling the effects of strong competition in the smartphone mkt and, yes, RIM needs to take note of some of the features that take the spotlight from BB. However, no one device of the calibre we're mentioning here can fairly be compared to another... if you are willing to switch phones for the sake of a feature or two, then so be it. Read the forums and you'll see many who have switched to another phone and have come back; and some who have more than one device that they use for different purposes. Give RIM a chance to adapt. These forums reach their ears and if it takes until fall for rim to tweak 5.0 even a little better based on Apple's latest release, then I'll be willing to wait a little longer. I'm not suffering too badly with my bold.

Thank you for expressing my sentiments so perfectly. I am of the mindset that the ideal device will never be invented / released as everyone has their own needs / desires / wants. I have had my Bold since mid-December last year and it meets all my needs. I have had many phones with one or two "special features" that I wanted, but nothing that met my specific needs as well as the Bold. The only other smartphone I've owned was a Motorola Q - and that lasted less than 2 weeks before I went back to the Sony Ericsson the Q replaced: Windows Mobile is a total loser in my opinion.

I'm still very happy with the Bold: It is my first BB experience. Do I wish the browser was better - You betcha. Do I wish it had a better desktop interface than Outlook - **** yes! Do I see going to an iPhone to replace it: Not on your life. I have an iTouch and trying to use the touch keyboard is so frustrating to me. Give me the speed, convenience (as well as the full keyboard) and power of my Bold.
    07-03-09 11:30 AM
    I figured that I would chime in here and give my opinion. I have used the two previous generations of the iPhone and switched from the Bold to the 3GS when it was launched. Everyone here is spot on with the comparisons between the two. Yes, the speed of the 3GS is noticeable and yes, the UI is well thought out. The browser is sweet and the app store is expansive. I was seriously hoping for a jailbreak within a short amount of time to truly open up the functionality of the iPhone (hello? Backgrounder app....). In the end, I went back to the Bold for the primary function of the phone. In my experience with the 3GS, the radio was horrible. Signal quality and call quality to me just seemed inferior to the Bold. Throw in the lackluster volume of both the earpiece and the speakerphone and I was yearning to go back to the Bold.

I will say the integration with my work's Exchange server was flawless and made me wish that I had BES instead of BIS. However, being linked into Exchange means nothing to me if I can't hear hear the notification of new mail or calendar invite. Also, I realized that I relied heavily on the Bold's LED. I want my phone to make my life MORE convenient, not be a hindrance. With the iPhone, there is no LED indicator AND no mail icons on the lock screen. It will display missed calls and text messages but if you want to see e-mail, you have to go through the process of sliding to unlock and navigating back to the home screen (if you actually locked the phone while in an open program). Of course, this shortcoming is addressed by Notifier, another jailbreak app. I also relied heavily on BB's unified inbox and the iPhone doesn't really make it easy to navigate between mailboxes. Five e-mail accounts? Good luck with that.....

Funny thing is that when I bought the 3GS, the wife asked if I was going to sell the Bold to offset the expense of a new phone. Initially, I said yes. But after a day of using the 3GS, I reconsidered and decided to hold onto the Bold to see if I could get past MY issues with the 3GS. In the end, the dev team blogged about holding off on the jailbreak process and my mind was made up.
    07-03-09 12:05 PM
    and not to completely hijack the thread, yes, I am eager to see BB make some significant changes when they release 5.0
    07-03-09 12:08 PM
    Why would you switch to an iPhone just because 3GS is being released sooner than 5.0? If you want it that bad then just use the beta. If OS updates have you on the fence then you're definitely carrying the wrong device.

If AT&T waits until the fall to release 5.0, we'll already be testing the 20th 5.0 beta and the kinks will be ironed out.

07-03-09 03:09 PM
    I guess the fact that we go on to this LENGTH discussing which of the two is better says something about the iPhone. iPhone users never discuss, or never feel the need to defend, if their phone is better than others -- they just are.

07-03-09 09:39 PM
    Oh, please.
    07-03-09 09:50 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD