I contacted a friend who handles large corporate accounts @ AT&T. He had just finished a conference call with his managers and the launch window as it stands today is August/September for the BlackBerry Bold.

If this remains the direction then and Rogers beats AT&T to the punch it will clearly say something about AT&T. They got no Bold & no Balls to stand up to Jobs. If this holds true it would be pretty clear that Apple wants no other competition cutting into their sales in June/July.

Most would agree that a BlackBerry user and iPhone user are not entirely the same, but if you were SmartPhone buyer who wanted 3G, and all the other great features of the Bold but could not get one you could be swayed to the iPhone.

This is not an anti iPhone rant so if you are thinking that you can stop right now. This is just question why AT&T would want to hold up the launch. This isn't the movie business where having two highly anticipated movies go head to head the same opening weekend, where that can be a bad thing it shouldn't be in the phone business.

I will wait for the BB Bold thats for sure, but why should we be forced to wait so AT&T drag their feet.

This is not a rumor, from a friend of a friend who heard some folks from an AT&T store in the food court. This is for an Account Executive who handles major accounts and those accounts use a lot of BlackBerries. He was clearly bummed about it and so was I.

The BB Bold cannot be held back it will break free, and hopefully AT&T will let loose on the US.
    05-19-08 08:25 PM
    Take it with a grain of salt. Account Executive is nothing more than an over glorified term for a sales rep... I know because I am one.

EDIT: Side note... Just be ready, because this will undoubtedly turn into an iPhone vs. BlackBerry thread.

Also, now that I am not on my BB and can type a bit better... This may not be all At&t's doing. All the launch dates I have heard from all the rumors floating around have pointed to July-August at the earliest, so this may very well be RIM's launch window and At&t is just feeling the effect. Also, behind the scenes that we, and your Account Executive friend, don't know about are many, many things. For all we know, Rogers could have landed some sort of "guaranteed first" deal...

In other words, don't get too worried, don't immediately blame Apple for "controlling" At&t, and try to wait until the official word is dropped.
    Last edited by CrazEtooN; 05-19-08 at 08:43 PM.
    05-19-08 08:33 PM
    I sniff doodie. With all this extra marketing from AT&T pushing the curve and all these internet sources showing a late June early July release, I don't buy it. Its coming... Soon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-19-08 08:39 PM
    Call it what you want. People share the info they get from reliable sources they have. You don't like the info so you call it crap or doodie. It doesn't change the fact that is what I was told. Did I say this was set in stone, gospel, inside CIA contacts, NO. So get over it or offer some better information that shows to a better date.

Crazetoon, its too bad you are an over glorified sales rep or order taker because there are a lot of people in the sales profession that have earned their titles and their positions in their companies. Sales is sales and as you climb the ladder you earn more, get inside info others don't and ultimately you don't have to kill yourself working like a dog to get ahead.

If I hear more about it, I'll just keep it to myself.
    05-20-08 12:42 PM
    If you rep is right then mine would be wrong. BUT, I don't see anyone jumping on you regarding your dates. Its clear no one wants to hear about launch dates moving up or down in months.

Obviously the phone is working just fine, people are using them. They have to get carrier branding done, ROM's loaded and product distributed. It is also valid that either RIM or AT&T does not want this out right during iPhone time.

Its also valid that Rogers could have a special deal based on the news over at BGR that Rogers is saying their launch is between 6/9 -6/29 if so that means they are ready, and AT&T just dropped the ball.

Nice to know others can have opinions and insight or maybe not based on some of the other posts here.

I am new to the CB and BB community, however, I have been doing forums and blogs for a while now. Saying that, I think you are taking the posts above way to personal.

No one was attacking you personally, just the info because the sales reps are natorious for giving out wrong info.

Best of luck and enjoy the forum
    05-20-08 01:30 PM
    If you rep is right then mine would be wrong. BUT, I don't see anyone jumping on you regarding your dates. Its clear no one wants to hear about launch dates moving up or down in months.

Obviously the phone is working just fine, people are using them. They have to get carrier branding done, ROM's loaded and product distributed. It is also valid that either RIM or AT&T does not want this out right during iPhone time.

Its also valid that Rogers could have a special deal based on the news over at BGR that Rogers is saying their launch is between 6/9 -6/29 if so that means they are ready, and AT&T just dropped the ball.

Nice to know others can have opinions and insight or maybe not based on some of the other posts here.
    Nobody jumped on you. Claiming that At&t dropped the ball is an unnecessary comment altogether though. Much like assuming the launch window is purely because of Apple is an unnecessary comment. Money rules the world friend, and if Rogers does (speculation) have rights to be the first carrier to launch the Bold, chances are they got that right through payment to RIM. IF that is the case, it has nothing to do with At&t dropping the ball, or being afraid of Apple.

Now, assuming Apple does have something to do with it, how can you fault them? The iPhone is one of At&t's best selling phones, and it has brought them untold amounts of business by its exclusivity. If the iPhone is a bigger money maker for them, and they want it to have the field to itself for a short time, it makes plenty of sense.

Scenario (completely made up, but plausible):

Bold retails for $600 and sells subsidized for $300. Let's pretend that At&t pays RIM $250 for each Bold, making their profit on the subsidized sale $50, and $350 on unsubsidized. The Bold isn't the type of phone that the MASS will pay retail price for, so it will sell many more subsidized units, meaning it will see more of the $50 profits over the $350.

3G iPhone retails for (assumption based off of original launch) $500 and $600 and there is no subsidization. Lets now assume that At&t pays a higher price for each iPhone, we will say they pay $300 for the 8gig, and $350 for the 16gig, which equates to a profit of $200 and $250 respectively. In this situation, it doesn't matter which unit they sell, as the profit is nice for each.

The iPhone has a larger appeal to the consumer masses, and it is a device that consumers have an easier time dropping such a premium amount on. Just look at the launch of the original iPhone for an example. It was on Edge, had lesser memory, less features than it does now, and will upon release of the second gen version, and it still sold out in droves.

Anyway, the point I am eluding to... If the iPhone is a bigger profit pusher, and it is more likely to sell at the higher profit bringing amount, why wouldn't At&t place a larger emphasis on its launch? Lets say someone is in the At&t store for the launch of the iPhone, and that person happens to be up for their upgrade, and they also see the Bold in the store, it could create a case of one vs the other. The Bold has many of the multimedia features of the iPhone, is 3G, blah, blah, blah and since this person is up for their upgrade, they can get it far cheaper than that $500 iPhone. They may very well do this, and while it is good for RIM, it isn't as good for At&t due to lost profit on the device sale. Yes, they will make it up over the contract, but they make money on iPhone contracts as well, so the higher profit from the device is that much sweeter.

Speaking of contracts... The iPhone is certainly a huge contract puller and brings far more new accounts to At&t than any other phone in their lineup. Aside from small number of the diehard BlackBerry fans, like the ones on this site, many people will not switch carriers to get a BlackBerry; they will switch carriers to get an iPhone though. Reason being, the iPhone is exclusive to At&t for a long time, the BlackBerrys that are released first on At&t will roll down the pipe to other carriers in due time, and the Bold is rumored to be coming to CDMA carriers in record time when compared to usual. So, lets look at it from afar... A Verizon customer wants an iPhone and there is no chance in the foreseeable future of the iPhone coming to Verizon. They want one really, really bad though, so they take the plunge and switch to At&t. Next, we have a Verizon customer that wants the BlackBerry Bold. The Bold is supposed to be coming to Verizon less than 6-7 months after the release on At&t. Does this person pay an ETF and switch to At&t, or do they just wait 6 months, if not less? My money is on that person waiting, and I can guarantee that At&t is hedging their bet the same way.

So, why would At&t want to have a competing device that brings less profit as a whole launch alongside one its best profit makers? If the iPhone does have anything to do with the launch window of the Bold being pushed back, it isn't because At&t dropped the ball, it is quite the opposite and At&t is using smart business sense.

DISCLAIMER: I am well aware that the above scenario is not perfect, and I am leaving out certain aspects of the transaction. However, it was made to be a SIMPLE scenario, and though the numbers may be different, the concept isn't far off base. It is also a scenario for the consumer market, and the tiny/small business market that actually walks into a retail store and buys their devices/service in person. The corporate sector doesn't factor in because A) the larger corporations usually get their devices directly from RIM, and B) the ones that don't get their devices from RIM deal with At&t's corporate division, which is another beast entirely.

Finally, the above scenario does not deal with the "rumor" that Apple will allow subsidization of the 2nd gen iPhone. Being a user of several Apple products, and knowing their history, I find that rumor very hard to swallow however, and I strongly suspect the price of the 2nd gen iPhone to be concrete and high.

END DISCLAIMER...

I was trying to avoid making this post, because I knew I would get long winded, and it is bound to attract arguments and discussions I wasn't trying to spark... However, the world is not one big BlackBerry fan like this site is, and that said, you need to look at a scenario like the launch of the 3G iPhone and the Bold from a neutral perspective and try to be open minded enough to understand the business pluses and minuses for At&t. It isn't about dropping the ball, or being scared, it is about what is best for the bottom dollar, and whether you like it or not, the iPhone is better for the bottom dollar. It may not be a better device, it may not be even remotely close to as good of a device as the Bold, but it IS better for At&t's bottom line.
    05-20-08 01:39 PM
    Exactly br!

After years and years of spending time in the phone collectors game and countless hours nay, days in the forums, I have learned to take "sales rep" rumors and speculation with a grain of salt. Most of the time it is incorrect. We shall wait and see what RIM or the carriers officially announce.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-08 01:45 PM
    Bad day at work equals a bad days posts and for that I may have read more into it. That said I have also been on tech and other forums, even as a moderator on several sites for years. Anyways, I hope I am wrong and the BB Bold comes out soon, real soon. But just for fun I called AT&T CS on the way home. CS Rep actually checked with a supervisor (or someone else via email). They were told to expect it in Q2, I was like that is now, or do you mean AT&T's FY. She said correct AT&T FY so between June and September. Of course this would technically be between 1-4 months but oh well. Its safe to say sometime this summer.
    05-20-08 08:59 PM
    I'm not going to read the paragraphs, but I can tell you that the source isn't reliable.

The info he got was probably from a RIM rep, which honestly don't know. I've been in that boat as a RIM rep had came and informed me the 3g berry would have been out already... They were wrong.
    05-20-08 10:29 PM
    I don't think it's necessary to knock down someone else's rumor. There's going to be tons of them, some will be on the mark and some won't. No need to "prove" someone else's rumor is wrong. I hope to hear more possible dates!
    05-21-08 08:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD