If you are using Windows, try using the Task Manager and clicking on End Task.
    I think you misunderstood. I started the OTA update of OS7.1 on my 9900 last night. The device is stuck on the Social Feeds backup screen. I need to find a way to cancel that. battery pull doesn't do it.
    09-21-12 08:15 AM
    For all the people who have problems backing up their BlackBerry device, you can check:

KB29522-"Error backing up databases" message is generated at Smart Card Options database when backing up the BlackBerry smartphone using the BlackBerry Desktop Software

"Error backing up databases" message is generated at Smart Card Options database when backing up the BlackBerry smartphone using the BlackBerry Desktop Software

There is a known issue with Social Feeds Database that causes this. It happened to me and after deleting it and updating all my problems were gone forever.
    09-21-12 08:39 AM
    I think you misunderstood. I started the OTA update of OS7.1 on my 9900 last night. The device is stuck on the Social Feeds backup screen. I need to find a way to cancel that. battery pull doesn't do it.
    Having the same issue here! Very frustrating!! On the phone now with AT&T CS to see what can be done. They say they will connect me with BB CS if they can't find an answer.
    09-21-12 08:39 AM
    Having the same issue here! Very frustrating!! On the phone now with AT&T CS to see what can be done. They say they will connect me with BB CS if they can't find an answer.
    Ok, thanks...let me know what you find out. I'm trying something and it's early yet...but might be working.

Downloaded the OS from AT&T to desktop, launched BDS and did a battery pull on the 9900 while attached to PC via USB. Selected option in BDS to update the device, selected my OS and BDS started performing a backup. At the same exact moment, the OTA software upgrade on the device appears to have started over.

Both are running, very slowly...but running.
    09-21-12 08:47 AM
    Ok, thanks...let me know what you find out. I'm trying something and it's early yet...but might be working.

Downloaded the OS from AT&T to desktop, launched BDS and did a battery pull on the 9900 while attached to PC via USB. Selected option in BDS to update the device, selected my OS and BDS started performing a backup. At the same exact moment, the OTA software upgrade on the device appears to have started over.

Both are running, very slowly...but running.
    I did get transferred to RIM CS and as I was talking to a very nice lady I noticed the backup was continuing! Somehow it became "unstuck" and the backup finally finished. Now I'm on the "Please wait while your device prepares to update. When preparation completes, your device will restart." It did say earlier that this may take up to 2 hours to complete. Here's hoping it will!!
    09-21-12 08:58 AM
    OMG!! 00:1:30 minutes turning on with app, IT'S A RECORD
    (I have many hours testing it)
    09-21-12 09:04 AM
    I did get transferred to RIM CS and as I was talking to a very nice lady I noticed the backup was continuing! Somehow it became "unstuck" and the backup finally finished. Now I'm on the "Please wait while your device prepares to update. When preparation completes, your device will restart." It did say earlier that this may take up to 2 hours to complete. Here's hoping it will!!
    Good for you! I'm back to the "Social Feeds" screen and it doesn't appear to be going anywhere. I'm at the 12 hour mark now. Going to leave it for a bit longer and see what happens.
    09-21-12 09:18 AM
    .694 does not resolve my Wifi calling woes.

Now I continue to wait for .714 or newer (and pray) or maybe I just need to jump on board the Berrylicious hybrids.
    09-21-12 09:41 AM
    (sorry if this was posted upon but I'm far too tired to read 8 pages of comments that may not pertain to my situation)

I've run a few of the unofficial and official versions of 7.1 but the last one I had (sorry I don't recall the actual #) was the best I had. It was running the fastest, battery life was much more stable and not draining. The big change for me from the earlier 7.1 and the one I had before this 7.1.0.694 was the Blackberry Device Analyzer was removed and replaced with Application Monitoring (I believe that was it's name...). The point of the application was it would turn off any application that was sucking the battery to death when it was idle.

Onto my problem. It seemed to have downgraded the Device Analyzer back to it's monitoring (Internet Mail Account Issues, Battery Tests, Issues with Device Responsiveness, etc) and removed the application monitoring application. I thoroughly enjoyed that.

I upgraded in a sleepy haze so I wasn't really paying attention to what I was doing. Now I'm sad I did this but so far, I haven't any issues with the OS. My Battery (5:30am-10:30am) has been declining at a Normal rate 1.31%/hr where as it was 5%10%+ on older OS's.
    09-21-12 09:41 AM
    The big change for me from the earlier 7.1 and the one I had before this 7.1.0.694 was the Blackberry Device Analyzer was removed and replaced with Application Monitoring (I believe that was it's name...). The point of the application was it would turn off any application that was sucking the battery to death when it was idle.

Onto my problem. It seemed to have downgraded the Device Analyzer back to it's monitoring (Internet Mail Account Issues, Battery Tests, Issues with Device Responsiveness, etc) and removed the application monitoring application. I thoroughly enjoyed that.
    Device Analyzer was never removed, it was just hidden. All you had to do was go to Options and type Alt + BBDA to enable it.

You can download Application Resource Monitor as a standalone app from App world.
    Maseroche likes this.
    09-21-12 10:02 AM
    Update: Started install @ 9 p.m. last night and as of 4 a.m. this morning it was at 52% of overall backup progress on "Social Feeds". Did a battery pull, and it returns the Social Feeds portion of the process and just sits there.

I'm screwed!
    Thanks AT&T for NOTHING!

Anyone know of a way to kill this and either return to starting poiint or restart the install?!
    Make sure you delete Social Feeds before updating!
    09-21-12 10:05 AM
    Yes I did. I was not aware that OS 7.1 was available OTA. It was not available on my device. Unfortunately, I will not be able to help you without first doing some research on this forum.
    09-21-12 10:06 AM
    How is it running this OS because i dowload .654 but dont like a lot issue, and i am presentting bugs with the signal since i installed that (7.1.0.654 Telefonica)
    09-21-12 10:39 AM
    After nearly 3 hours my 9900 is back up and running. Note to self: avoid OTA updates in the future!! Hopefully OS10 will improve this process since that seems to work much better with the PlayBook! Everything seems to have reinstalled, except Bridge. Checking with rroyy to see if his OTA works with this AT&T OS version. Other than this I am relieved and feeling better about the day.
    09-21-12 10:52 AM
    i've been waiting for this OS for some time, and unfortunately i don't see that WiFi calling is enabled. From reading the various forum posts, it should be an option on the Manage Network screens to say WiFi Preferred, however I don't see it. Is AT&T preventing/blocking this feature?
    09-21-12 11:22 AM
    i've been waiting for this OS for some time, and unfortunately i don't see that WiFi calling is enabled.
    You won't see wifi calling on AT&T... they don't support it.
    09-21-12 11:28 AM
    After nearly 3 hours my 9900 is back up and running. Note to self: avoid OTA updates in the future!! Hopefully OS10 will improve this process since that seems to work much better with the PlayBook! Everything seems to have reinstalled, except Bridge. Checking with rroyy to see if his OTA works with this AT&T OS version. Other than this I am relieved and feeling better about the day.

I've been trying to get an OTA update for mine but it won't come thru so now i'm having to update my desktop manager before it will even let me update my phone. Usually OTA updates for me are only about 30 mins max
    09-21-12 11:33 AM
    So far so good on my update I noticed a better connection with the network though I will need more time to observe everything.

@phill_uk thanks for the tip on the Application Resource Monitor in app world I didn't know that and just installed it
    09-21-12 11:34 AM
    I've been trying to get an OTA update for mine but it won't come thru so now i'm having to update my desktop manager before it will even let me update my phone. Usually OTA updates for me are only about 30 mins max
    Consider yourself one of the lucky ones, other have not. When I read of someone complaining that they are 3 hours into an OS update & asking why it taking so long, bet a sure its OTA. I would not advice anyone to go that route, just to many problems. Just my 2 cent.
    09-21-12 11:55 AM
    The App World with .694 is an older one. Download and install the latest one, and you will see Update All button back.

That was what I did yesterday.

I was wondering AT&T just plays a game with the release number. Lots apps in this version are quite old.

True, When OS 7.1.0.658 had it and here i didn't even get app monitor app
    this is weird they removed all which the OS .658 had
    I am downgrading right now!
    09-21-12 11:59 AM
    More like 15 hours now. Stuck on the Backing up your data screen for "Social Feeds" . Can't cancel it, can't stop it, can't find a way to move back or forward. Just got off phone with RIM CS and they don't have a clue.

09-21-12 12:20 PM
    do I need east asian fonts on this phone or not?
    09-21-12 12:24 PM
    More like 15 hours now. Stuck on the Backing up your data screen for "Social Feeds" . Can't cancel it, can't stop it, can't find a way to move back or forward. Just got off phone with RIM CS and they don't have a clue.

Unplug it and start over. Maybe do a selective backup instead, then wipe and load it up, restoring the selective backup and reinstalling apps will help.
    09-21-12 12:24 PM
    do I need east asian fonts on this phone or not?
    Only if you use them. If you don't need them, exclude it like I did.
    09-21-12 12:25 PM
    figures, people kept telling me yes so i reinstalled them after uninstalling them, now i gotta wait for another reboot to uninstall them again grrr
    09-21-12 12:29 PM
280 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD