I have used the 8310 off & on since Dec 2008. I recently tried the 9000 out in a store and man I want it! (Never should've tried it out, I suppose.)

My main concern rests with it being a 3G model. Normally that's a good thing but I live in the boonies where even 2G/EDGE is marginal. (When I'm in-town where my wife works & I normally do, the signal is strong and even 3G is good-to-go.) I have heard of previous instances where 3G was down and 3G models like the Samsung Blackjack etc were 100% out-of-commission for data because it refused to try-out 2G as a backup. In those cases it was actually good that I had a 2G device (in that case, the Treo--now, the 8310).

I did read this post here about how to disable 3G on the Bold/9000. My question is--would this be necessary when I'm "in the boonies," or would the defaults normally handle it? (I did read prior posts about the upcoming OS 5.0 having the ability to disable 3G without the need for any such workarounds.)

Also, can you switch-off the Bold's auto-checking of AT&T for system updates etc? That's one reason I am still running OS 4.2 on my 8310, I am prepaid MEdia Net with it (I use Opera Mini, Bolt, GMail applet etc) and don't want to chance it goofing up since it's not setup with a BIS deal. I understand newer OS's for the 8310 check, and I haven't received confirmation on whether or not this can be disabled in case it would case a problem (I posted in the OS forum, no replies). How about with the current OS for the 9000?
    08-19-09 02:35 AM
    I made the switch from 8310 to bold and all I can say is whata are you waiting for. If you upgrade to OS 282 you will have the option to either use 2G or 2G/3G. I'm not sure about your last question but I'm sure someone else will be able to help you out with it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-09 04:48 AM
    Choose 2G or 2g/3g mode so it automatically switches depending on the signal. It's great because it won't waste battery life stuck on a poor 3g signal but will shift to a strong EDGE signal.

There are no more auto-updates I believe. You have to manually check for them yourself. Im from Rogers so we have 2g/3g selection and on/off from the start, but upgrade to OS .282 if you do get one.

But the fact you say you live in an EDGE area and are coming from the curve 8310, you might also want to check out the curve 8900. Same keyboard style and smaller size than the Bold.
    08-19-09 05:58 AM
    @keltig That's a serious vote of enthusiasm. What has been the biggest improvement you've seen--the larger, higher-resolution screen? From what I saw in the store even the MEdia Net browser did pretty good, can only imagine how good Opera Mini 4.3 and Bolt must look.

I do like my 8310, but from what I've seen the Bold's browsing is a real step-up. Just want to make sure OS aito-updates don't goof up my prepaid MEdia Net, the other poster makes it sound as if that actually wouldn't be an issue.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-09 10:20 AM
    Having made the jump from the 8310 to the Bold some time ago...I can heartily encourage you to go for it. It's simply the best BB to date. The Curve is a great device...but the Bold trumps it 110%. You won't regret the upgrade at all...
    08-19-09 10:48 AM
    I use my blackberry with a $10 media-net connection also (using opera / gmail) and I havent had an issue so far (only been around a month or so) but i cant guarantee itll be the same because you have a prepaid from what i understand, anyways good luck and i hope you go for the upgrade itll be well worth it
    08-19-09 12:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD