05-26-10 06:48 AM
27 12
tools
    Verizons getting a little to pricey for me and Im switching from the Tour to the Bold 9700. Can anyone tell me if there is any benifits on AT&T compared to Verizon? What makes the Bold better then what Verizon has to offer, if so? Please sound off in your comments!
    Last edited by Terrigno; 05-23-10 at 08:15 AM.
    05-23-10 08:11 AM
    Verizons getting a little to pricey for me and Im switching from the Tour to the Bold 9700. Can anyone tell me if there is any benifits on AT&T compared to Verizon? What makes the Bold better then what Verizon has to offer, if so? Please sound off in your comments!
    I switched from Verizon to AT&T just a few months ago. You will get about the same features with AT&T as with Verizon and your bill will be almost the same. I don't know about AT&T coverage in your location, but my coverage is much better with AT&T. Love 9700.
    If you will decide to switch, do it before June 1, as AT&T will increase ETF cost to $325.
    05-23-10 09:11 AM
    Yea as far as price, it may be around the same. However, I've had the Tour and the 9700, I think the is 9700 better in many ways. Also, being able to talk on the phone and access data is awesome. As far as the service/signal, I seem to get dropped calls all the time, which I never did on Vzw.'

Bold 9700 Pros
    - Battery Life
    - Wifi
    - Trackpad
    - Usb port in better location
    - Phone Quality/Microphone is better
    Last edited by greystealth; 05-23-10 at 09:23 AM.
    05-23-10 09:15 AM
    I've made that move before. So I can offer you a little info. Firstly, about the Tour. The Bold is a better device. Not because its GSM or At&T, but because is just simply Rim's better device because of the optical mouse pad and wifi. Verizon's Bold will be releasing very soon and it will be better than AT&T's version. Because of timing. Phone companies will continue to go tic for tac with phone versions.

Price. With AT&T you r going to save about 15 bucks a month. But that's going to come with a sacrifice. THE NETWORK. CDMA Technology far surpasses GSM. There's really one advantage to GSM- and that's the ability to talk and surf at the same time. But inherently there is no way that AT&T will be a worthy competitor to Verizon's network. And Verizon is rapidly unveiling it's LTE Network! Which among other advances will allow u to talk and surf at the same time. There's a technological reason why AT&T customers continually complain about dropped calls and slow data speeds. And the ONLY way u will be able to avoid those issues is if u find a good 3G spot and stay there. Lol!

But if u r ok with spotty 3G coverage and u wanna save a couple of bucks a month, AT&T is a good choice. Just be mindful of the fact that with Verizon u are paying a little more but u r getting a lot more.

When I switched over to AT&T it was because of their smartphone lineup. At that time Verizon just wasn't cutting it for me. BUT! Over the last year and a half Big Red has stepped it up! And their not showing any signs of slowing down in the smartphone market.

So, my advice to u is this. If it's just the money- stay with Verizon! I ended up going back!
    05-23-10 09:30 AM
    I believe the prices on ATT and VZW are very much the same. Both have $20 txting, $30 data plan, etc. You're going to end up paying about the same.

I don't mean to hate on ATT but I have found that VZW's coverage is far superior. I just think if you're going to be paying the same either way, then why not go with the one with the better coverage?

If you want to save $$, you could check out T-Mobile. Their coverage isn't as extensive but if they are good in their area, they may be worth a look. I have the 9700 with them and I get good service...unlimited everything (including tethering) for around 85 a month.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-23-10 09:59 AM
    stay on vzw...i switched from vzw to att and back to vzw. i could not handle the crappy voice coverage and sound quality..hissing in the background.

The 9700 is the best but i hope the 9650 will have the battery life of the 9700.

My storm 2 has been awesome actually. I want both the 9650 and s2!!!
    05-23-10 10:48 AM
    Have you talked to Verzizon about getting any discounts through your employer? Last fall I switched from Att to Verizon, and Verizon gave me a better discount than Att could offer. I actually added a Blackberry to my plan, and it's still cheaper than what I was paying at Att. This is most likely different for different people, but worth a try just asking about it, you just might find one cheaper than the other.

Just make sure your coverage will be acceptable. The best phone in the world ain't worth **** when you have no signal.
    05-23-10 11:14 AM
    One thing to check out would be the 3G coverage maps on each of their website's. You never know what you may find around your area as far as dead spots go. To comment on the Tour vs. the Bold, the Bold wins hands-down. Still think having consistent service is a higher priority than the phone though. Just my two cents...
    05-23-10 11:41 AM
    Gsm is in fact better than cdma fyi. Do your research.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    05-23-10 03:19 PM

You should do a little more research yourself. That might be true in some cases, but I believe it's wrong in this case. The 9630/9650 is a world phone (has a GSM and CDMA radio), add the nations largest network to that, and the only thing that GSM wins is battery life. Take a look at this article, I'm sure there are many more just like it.

CDMA is the clear winner when talking about a world phone on Verizon, especially when comparing to Att's network.

GSM Vs CDMA
    05-23-10 03:42 PM

I think "better" is too broad of a term. CDMA and GSM both have their strengths and weaknesses. CDMA has superior wall penetration, less dropped calls and much better 3G coverage in the U.S. GSM devices have better battery life and simultaneous data/voice (however, this only works on a 3G signal)

So what has your research shown you? Anything different?

Also, this whole Bold vs Tour thing will be a moot point within the next few weeks with VZW's release of the Bold 9650. At that point it won't be a matter of phone superiority, it will basically come down to carrier preference.

05-23-10 03:52 PM
    Ehh. Ridesno beat me to it. I was typing while driving

05-23-10 03:54 PM
    I switched from Verizon to At&t BACK to Verizon and then BACK to at&t. At&t is much better. I've never dropped a call and I get more service everywhere I go, even when I travel cross country. Their speeds are so much faster for me and I'm glad I switched back to at&t. Everything about at&t seems more simple and snappier. I don't understand why people hate their network and love big red's. Most people bash at&t without having been on their network. Whatever works for you, I guess.

Also, I don't believe the bold on verizon will be better than the 9700. The bold on sprint doesn't seem to be much better, nor snappier than my 9700.
    05-23-10 05:35 PM
    Whatever works for you, I guess.
    Exactly!

Like I said before, the best phone out there is no good if you have bad service. I had the opposite experience as you did, Verizon was much better than Att for me. I got very spotty coverage wherever I traveled when I was on Att, rarely had 3G in most spots too. Both carriers were very reliable and consistent in major cities though. When I travel for fun I like going to places that aren't close to big cities, so Verizon works better for me.

So to the OP, I wouldn't cancel your contract with Verizon before you try Att for a month. What works for some people might not work for you.
    05-23-10 05:50 PM
    My work BB needed replacing so I just went from the old 8830 to the 9700 about 2 weeks ago. I had been on Verizon's network for around 4 years, and from what I'm seeing so far...I want to go back!

In the past 2 weeks, I've been able to use the ATT 9700 extensively in Chicago, Atlanta, Augusta and Knoxville. The call quality is very poor compared to what I'm used to (hissing, static, etc) and I'm about to pull my hair out with dropped calls. I seriously haven't had an issue with dropped calls in 6-7 years back with Sprint. Also, the 3G coverage goes in and out to a point where "talk while you surf" hasn't been useful for me. For example, it's been hit or miss when I'm on a conf call and need to check an email that someone just sent...if I can't count on it, I won't use it...

Now the phone itself is outstanding. Solid build quality, packed with features and a very good battery life. This is my first experience w/ ATT and so far it's been quite unimpressive.

This is just my experience and opinion, so take it for what it's worth.
    05-23-10 07:20 PM
    Thank you all for the comments. I appreciate that. Im here in TN also. Just moving here and im in the Kingsport area. See the thing with Verizon is I have 3 extra lines. And I only got them because I wanted the newer phones cheap. GOT DAMN BLACKBERRY ADDICITION!! I even have the employers discount and Im STILL paying around $180 a month. So The only reasy why I would do it is because of what Im paying now and what it cost with all the charge for this and charge for that scenerios.

Im selling my Verizon Tour and Curve 8530 and am gonna use that money to terminate all of the lines. So its not really Verizons fault at all, it was mine for getting the family lines so I can get he phones cheaper. Its crazy. So thats why I asked about AT&T. Im gonna check the coverage in my area. Plus they have this promotion where you get the phone free with a 2year contract. So Tommarow, ill know if my application goes through. I got the Bold 9700 about a month and a half ago from them and they sent it to me from the order placed online. And I sent it back within a few days cause I just wanted to see how the phone was. At that time, I wasnt really weary about making a switch. But I do want to now. Just to cut off the prices on my stupid mistake of opening lines for the phones. Im out of commision now and will be collecting soon. So I gotta sacrifice you know?
    05-23-10 10:27 PM
    Really surprised T-Mobile was mentioned only once. Way better than AT&T.
    05-24-10 01:49 AM
    Why so? And how so?
    05-24-10 09:10 AM
    Why dont you rather sell those devices and pay the ETFs while staying with VZ?
    05-24-10 11:00 AM
    Because for some reason, the GSM services come out with the latest and hottest BlackBerrys first. Im more on the tech side, then the network side since I actually dont talk on the phone that much.
    05-24-10 10:01 PM
    i had verizon now have at&t and i like at&t better. My 3g speeds on at
    &t are about 4 times faster
    05-24-10 10:32 PM
    Why so? And how so?
    T-Mobile is a GSM network and it's cheap...just to name some reasons.

I would check out the coverage in your area. If you have good coverage, then it's really the perfect carrier. Their rates are low and they are GSM, so if you're more of a "tech" person, you can have access to lots of GSM devices from all over. Just unlock whatever you want and use it.
    Their CS is also top-notch for the most part.
    T-Mobile's phone selection has also improved in recent years.

I have them and I'm very pleased.
    05-25-10 12:12 AM
    Yep, I would also check out T-Mobile as I have them and have been happy.

They do have spotty 3G though, so keep that in mind and even if you are in a 3G area it seems to lack...

I am happy with EDGE and a nice feature UMA...talk about fast speeds...3G what?

I pay 170 a month and is 1000 minute plan, 20 dollar unlimited texting, 2 data plans 60 dollars together and insurance on 2 phones 12 dollars and taxes and 3 other lines that share and are basic dummy phones, comes up to my 170...so not all that bad...

I have been happy for 3 years I have had them and had Sprint, At&t before...never had Big red yet...but know a few who have them and don't care for their service.

05-25-10 03:32 AM
    Yeah I'm on EDGE a lot and while I wish I had 3G...edge is really okay. My phone's Bolt browser is a bit faster on EDGE than my mom's Droid. Not kidding.

05-25-10 09:26 AM
    I switched from VZW after 7 years and went to ATT. I went from the tour which I had 4 of in 6 mos to the bold 9700. The phone is superior IMHO as well as the coverage. My coverage is soo much better I was able to drop my landline. Something I could NEVER consider with VZW as the tour was always dropping calls when I was home. I feel I have much better call clarity as well as overall functionality.
    For me and where I live I'm glad I made the switch. Also, now that I'm with att if Rim doesn't come up with a better OS for internet activity I'm in a great position to switch to the Iphone 4g.
    05-25-10 11:48 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD