I upgraded to the .282 rogers recently and I want to try the vodafone UK version of .282 as the sound on the rogers version was not great.

I know you have to wipe your device if you are downgrading, what I am not sure is if I am switching the OS from rogers to vodafone UK both version .282, is this a upgrade or a downgrade? Do I have to wipe my device? Can I use the apploader?

Thanks for your time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-25-09 04:48 PM
    The only different between those two OS's are the vendor file. So your gonna be installing the same OS with a different vendor file that you have to delete. So it won't show as an upgrade or downgrade.
    07-25-09 04:53 PM
    - Make sure to backup all your stuff properly before doing anything.

- Uninstall the Rogers OS on your PC and then install the Vodaphone Version.

- Use crackmem version 3.4 or newer and delete the vender.xml file.

- Then hit the WIPE button, take slike 5-6 min to complete as when it doe sthis wipe it also installs the OS you have chosen.

- After all is said and done, restore all your apps and so forth.

Just to note.... I have not had any issues with Rogers Version, no issues with sound or anything.
    07-25-09 04:56 PM
    So then I would not have to do a wipe or uninstall the previous OS? I am not sure if I should follow the procedures of the blackberry 101 for downgrade or upgrade.

07-25-09 04:57 PM
    The only difference you're going to get is if the UK version has less and/or more languages.

No point really.
    07-25-09 05:20 PM
    Then how do you explain the Escalating volume on an alarm working fine on the CSL version of .282, and not on the Rogers version?

Can we please stop telling people that it'll be no different? Many people have pointed out differences, yet people still pretend there's no difference.
    07-25-09 06:11 PM
    Then how do you explain the Escalating volume on an alarm working fine on the CSL version of .282, and not on the Rogers version?

Can we please stop telling people that it'll be no different? Many people have pointed out differences, yet people still pretend there's no difference.
    People can point them out all they'd like, it doesn't mean they're true. It's the same, stupid OS, period.

07-25-09 06:32 PM
    Hrmm.. so your escalating alarm works fine with Rogers .282?
    07-25-09 07:25 PM
    Hrmm.. so your escalating alarm works fine with Rogers .282?
    Yes.......

07-25-09 08:45 PM
    I upgraded to the .282 rogers recently and I want to try the vodafone UK version of .282 as the sound on the rogers version was not great.

I know you have to wipe your device if you are downgrading, what I am not sure is if I am switching the OS from rogers to vodafone UK both version .282, is this a upgrade or a downgrade? Do I have to wipe my device? Can I use the apploader?

Thanks for your time.

I down graded to .266 and then back to the Vodafone .282 version....
    You WILL see a difference.
    07-25-09 09:38 PM
    There is no difference other than vendor.xml and in some cases languages as previous posters have mentioned. We say it because it's true. If the OS was different, it would be assigned a different number. The differences from device to device are very well documented and are based on a myriad factors that are not related to differences in the OS itself.
    07-25-09 11:34 PM
    The differences from device to device are very well documented and are based on a myriad factors that are not related to differences in the OS itself.
    Then why wouldn't people just say devices may react differently, and not tell them that it's no different, and to not bother trying?

In my case the Escalating alarm didn't work in Rogers .282, even with wipe, and no 3rd party applications. It worked fine in CSL's release.

Either way, I'll let it be, since there's no point in arguing about it. If people want to change carrier releases of the same version, that's their prerogative.
    07-26-09 11:08 AM
    What is the vendor file? Coz I have been trying to do this to, with no luck. I have .282 with telstra australia, the one the phone come with but I wanna put it on 3 australia but when I download it and install it on my berry it gets to 99% and fails saying there was an unexpected error and it does not say what it was. The phone is not locked to telstra and I can and have used other carriers sims in my phone. Any help would be sweet
    Cheers

07-28-09 07:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD