I've looked around my Bold 9900 and if it's there I can't see it - can I change a setting to help my phone switch wifi access points a little more vigorously? I have a wifi extender in my house to help cover black spots. However once the phone is locked on to one AP, e.g. downstairs, it will hang on to one bar's worth of signal rather than pick up the five bars it could have if it switched over to the upstairs AP. I can make it do this, by switching off wifi and then switching on again, but if I move round the house I would rather the phone did this for me and took the best signal it could. Can this be done?

And BTW... are these ads for real? Do I have to look at the same one EVERY TIME I switch from one page to another within the site?!?
    05-16-13 06:45 PM
    I don't think you will find any kind of setting for this. HOWEVER you might find an app. I'm not aware of one though. But I'm pretty sure there is no native setting.
    05-17-13 07:35 PM
    The only setting is;

Wifi Network -> Saved Wifi Networks -> <Pick your network> hit 'edit' go down to the bottom of the page and you should find the last entry is 'Allow inter-access point handover' enable/tick that.

That's the only option listed it may improve your hand-off to your other AP/Range extender. From memory though - both devices need to broadcast the same SSID for hand-off to work. (And if you want full hand off I'm not even sure if a basic range extender can do that)

Hope that helps.

And what adverts ? This site is a blank white site for me when accessed via my network - webcache removes all junk and advertising from 90% of sites :-)
    Ayrton5 likes this.
    05-20-13 12:39 PM
    Thanks for the reply, that's just the sort of thing I was looking for. I'm not sure how well it works - if I get a lock from the extender, get full bars from being right next to it, and then walk the length of the house to the main modem, I'm now looking at 2 bars. If I get my beautiful assistant to then switch off the extender, it will click straight over to 5.

I guess if you have the phone constantly looking for a better source of wifi, even when it is already locked on to something, that's a waste of battery resource, which is already fairly precious on the 9900 as it is. I guess having it find an alternative when the original source is lost is about the best you can reasonably expect.
    05-23-13 05:37 PM