Hey everybody! This is my first post, and I'm here to get some opinions from people who I don't actually know, because those tend to be the best kind. Anyway, here's my story: I've had every iPhone released to date, and am currently rocking a 3GS. Trouble is, when I think about it...the iPhone just feels sort of, I don't know, limited. I'm considering switching to a 9700, provided it comes to AT&T, but I've got some people telling me it's a bad idea. So now, Crackberry users, I ask a favor of you. Convince me (or fail to) that I should (or shouldn't) make the switch. Thanks in advance already, everyone's thoughts are gonna mean a lot to me.
    10-20-09 03:59 PM
    As an owner of 2 previous iphones and 1 more still on my plan.. I ask you this; What do you mainly do on your phone now? text/ Email? Are you a big web browser?

Text, email and twittering, facebook are better performed on the blackberry. May not look as good, but a physical keyboard with a little "blinky" light is nice.

if you browse the web alot, or watch videos and such... Stay with the ipod.

They each have their strenghts and weaknesses. I went back to my bold mainly for the keyboard and notification light. shallow I know, but to me those are mus haves. If and when apple releases an iphone with those 2 things-i'll be back..lol
    10-20-09 04:27 PM
    The 9700 isn't even out yet.

I have a question for you. Have you jailbroken your 3GS? I have and you
    wouldn't believe how much the phone improves.
    10-20-09 04:31 PM
    I text A LOT, and I have to admit that I'm something of a Facebook addict. Email isn't really that much of a big thing for me since I'm just able to text all my friends, but I shoot out an email every once in a while. I also listen to a fair bit of music with my phone. As for the web, going through my history now, I really don't use it for much more than the odd google search (and of course seeing the links that it leads me to) but I wouldn't say that I use it heavily...I don't have a MacBook for nothing! And yeah, that's basically what I use my phone for...hopefully that puts future replies in an easier posistion
    Last edited by IHaveNoName; 10-20-09 at 04:36 PM.
    10-20-09 04:33 PM
    The 9700 isn't even out yet.

I have a question for you. Have you jailbroken your 3GS? I have and you
    wouldn't believe how much the phone improves.
    I know, but supposedly it's being announced tomorrow, and releasing sometimes in November. Unless I'm misinformed...

And yeah, my 3GS is acutally jailbroken right now, but I don't feel like it brings all too much to the table. It's just served to make my battery even more craptastic than it was before
    10-20-09 04:35 PM
    As an owner of 2 previous iphones and 1 more still on my plan.. I ask you this; What do you mainly do on your phone now? text/ Email? Are you a big web browser?

Text, email and twittering, facebook are better performed on the blackberry. May not look as good, but a physical keyboard with a little "blinky" light is nice.

if you browse the web alot, or watch videos and such... Stay with the ipod.

They each have their strenghts and weaknesses. I went back to my bold mainly for the keyboard and notification light. shallow I know, but to me those are mus haves. If and when apple releases an iphone with those 2 things-i'll be back..lol
    I believe you are the first person I've ever seen to suggest that the facebook experience on a BB is better than on an iphone. Never had an iphone so I can't compare, but all I ever hear from BB users is how bad the BB FB app is compared to the iphone.
    10-20-09 04:36 PM
    Just do what I did... Rock your BlackBerry and an iPod Touch. Best of both worlds.
    10-20-09 04:37 PM
    I believe you are the first person I've ever seen to suggest that the facebook experience on a BB is better than on an iphone. Never had an iphone so I can't compare, but all I ever hear from BB users is how bad the BB FB app is compared to the iphone.
    Yeah the FB app on the iPhone blows away the Blackberry app.
    10-20-09 04:43 PM
    Yeah the FB app on the iPhone blows away the Blackberry app.
    I agree it blows it away on how it looks... But I was inferring to the actual typing and responding on facebook. I think the bb's app is ok, just not up to par with the iphone.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.
    10-20-09 04:46 PM
    I also like how i get the notification leds on my bb. I am going to get an itouch in the next few days or so and then have the best of both worlds.

Honestly... The iphone is nice. I would have kept it, if only it had a keyboard similar to my bb bold and a notification light. I think if the iphone had those two things and possibly the ability to multitask without being jailbroken;lots of people would go apple over bb.
    10-20-09 04:52 PM
    I am in the same boat. I am thinking about ditching my iPhone for the 9700. I really love my iPhone 3GS, but miss some things about BB, ie, full QWERTY keyboard, LED light, more customization, multi-tasking, etc...I don't do much multi-media on my iPhone, maybe play a game once in a while and use a few go to apps(sports scores, weather and stock prices), so I would not miss that. I used the iPod just a few times when on vacation and while at the swim club. Now, I use the browser a ton, probably more than I should. LOL!!! I was happy with the BB browser, but was knocked off my feet with the Safari browser. Heck, I used to browse the internet a lot on my Pearls that I had for almost 2 1/2 years.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by walds11; 10-20-09 at 04:56 PM.
    10-20-09 04:54 PM
    I'd go with the 9700. The iPhone is great for browsing the web but as far as a communcation device?.....the BlackBerry beats the **** out of iPhone whilst iPhones girlfriend holds BlackBerry's jacket.

10-20-09 04:58 PM
    What if I do a lot of browsing? Stick with the iPhone or get th 9700?

I'd go with the 9700. The iPhone is great for browsing the web but as far as a communcation device?.....the BlackBerry beats the **** out of iPhone whilst iPhones girlfriend holds BlackBerry's jacket.

10-20-09 05:02 PM
    If browsing is what you do most?.....stick with iPhone.

10-20-09 05:03 PM
    That's what I was afraid of, but I had a bad itch for a BB. I can't figure out why. I am really happy with the iPhone.

10-20-09 05:21 PM
    Wow, a lot of helpful posts from you guys, thanks! I'm guessing that since I don't do much browsing, that maybe a 9700 would actually do just fine for me. And that LED and physical keyboard do seem pretty nice...but how's it like typing on it? Like I said, I text a lot (probably more than is healthy XD) and on my iPhone I shoot out messages with one thumb in seconds. Is that even possible on a Blackberry, or will I have to settle for two thumbs and slow typing?
    10-20-09 05:33 PM
    let me just say this.... I have never held the 9700, but i have had a lot of bb and currently use the bold;you will ove the keyboard. I repeat! You will love the keyboard and texting on it.

Not to mention the little blinky notification light! If you like to swtich between apps, you will love the multitasking also.
    10-20-09 05:41 PM
    I do love switching between apps! That's a pretty big advantage for me at least...
    10-20-09 05:42 PM
    The multitasking was something that i did not think I did alot of. After having a bold, the a 3gs;i quickly realized the mistake in buying the iphone. Loved the phone, could have jailbroken, but didnt wanna mess with that.

I missed my little blinky light to much and the email was kind of frustrating. Was always pushing the email icon to make sure if there were any emails.
    10-20-09 05:48 PM
    I do love switching between apps! That's a pretty big advantage for me at least...
    just fyi for you, i sold my iphone 3g last year and got a bold, and haven't for a second looked back in regret. yes the web browsing is better on the iphone, but thats all i'll give credit to it for. it's only exclusive feature "visual voicemail" is now available on the bold too, and blackberry bought a webkit company for a new browser thats in development now which will allegedly beat the iphones. the point is, i switched, and i was an avid iphone lover, just wanted something more, and blackberry is exactly that.
    10-20-09 05:50 PM
    I have a Bold and an iPod Touch

Even though the Touch isnt the iPhone, the concept is the same I guess, in terms of the debate.

I prefer typing on the full QUERTY keypad rather than the on the touchscreen which feels like a novelty for me.

The LED light is also great for when I'm at work and in general, the whole device itself looks and performs like a business based device should.

I see the iPhone as a more of a social icon which offers nothing more than glitzy apps that lose they're major appeal within a few days/weeks whereas the BB keeps on going.
    10-20-09 05:50 PM
    Gotta say, the opinions from past iPhone users are great. It's looking like I'll end up selling the 3GS and getting a *9700 because it doesn't seem like I'll really be losing too much functionality...I hope. Thanks everybody, and if anybody has anything else they think I should know, please! I'll take every shred of information and opinion I can get! I don't want to make this decision without knowing it's the right one.
    Last edited by IHaveNoName; 10-20-09 at 06:02 PM.
    10-20-09 05:59 PM
    It sounds like you have the right phone for you at this very moment. The 3GS has a far better Facebook app, and the texting is fine as long as you're comfortable with the virtual keyboard, and since you listen to music on your device. I think you're good man. I'm a hardcore blackberry fan to the bone, but I'm realistic. Your needs sound met, why mess with that?

10-20-09 07:01 PM
    It sounds like you have the right phone for you at this very moment. The 3GS has a far better Facebook app, and the texting is fine as long as you're comfortable with the virtual keyboard, and since you listen to music on your device. I think you're good man. I'm a hardcore blackberry fan to the bone, but I'm realistic. Your needs sound met, why mess with that?

To be perfectly honest, what prompted me to consider the switch in the first place was the general buginess I've found in the iPhone since day 1. Granted, I still find it a good phone (well, ok...I find it a good device, the actual phone isn't quite loud enough imo and the thing gets hotter than the sun over extended talk times) but I feel like maybe some of the issues I have with it could be remedied by a Blackberry.
    10-20-09 07:10 PM
    Like you said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I may still give the 9700 a try. AT&T offers a 30 day hassle free return policy. I have been jonesing to go back to BB. I really can't put my finger on it.

10-20-09 07:16 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD