Hi All,
    My HTC Eris broke earlier this week and I now have the opportunity(?) to get a new smartphone. After a year I never fully embraced the android OS and I would love to switch over to BB. I am a bit nervous about making this transition just because of the release of OS7 sometime soon?
    I need a new phone, but I really can't wait much longer. If I get the 9650 this weekend, would that be a mistake? I know it's not that flashy, but time really isn't on my side, and I'm looking at a two year commitment.

Please help!

BB
    07-22-11 08:02 PM
    If you could I would wait for the new releases due shortly. Maybe grab something off ebay to hold you over.
    07-22-11 08:09 PM
    Definitely wait, the new phones are very much worth it
    07-22-11 08:14 PM
    Gotta say, for being a newbie I'm impressed with response time!

Holding out is what I was hoping to do but the lack of release dates has me a bit concerned. I've seen anything from next week to October from the rumor mongerers.
    07-22-11 08:18 PM
    The 9650 is a very good, very serviceable BlackBerry. It will soon be outclassed by the newer devices, but unfortunately new devices lately have come with many new problems, both in the OS and the hardware. So there's something to be said for considering an older but mature model. If you want the latest and greatest, wait. If you want a workable device now, the 9650 is a good choice.
    07-22-11 08:20 PM
    I wouldn't spend an upgrade on the 9650 when they are fairly cheap off contract
    07-22-11 08:23 PM
    Ebay. Seller gazelle-store. 9650's for like $180 with 30 day guarantee. Then you save your upgrade.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-11 08:32 PM
    Some people were selling them on here for like $150 or lower in great condition.
    07-22-11 08:37 PM
    Go to craigslist or ebay and get the 9650

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-11 08:53 PM
    So the general idea is wait for os7/9900. Fingers crossed that it drops on Monday! Thank you all so much for the insight. I have to admit I'm pretty excited about the idea of jumping from the android ship and joining the BB family!
    07-22-11 09:01 PM
    I think your best option is to get an older BB or non-smartphone off craigslist to hold you over till Verizon gets the newer BBs. This will save you the headache of being stuck in a 2 year contract with an "older, outdated" phone. Just my opinion, but good luck on your decision.
    07-22-11 09:36 PM
    Hondateg,
    Switching from a smartphone to a "dumbphone" after July 7 is no longer an option. Verizon changed their data plan so to limit usage of data. Anyone with a phone before this date has an unlimited plan of $29.99. After July 7 $29.99 gets you 2gb of data usage.
    Anyone with a data plan before July 7 has been grandfathered in and will continue to pay the same rate. If you switch to a dumbphone and then back to a smartphone you will be subject to new data rates.
    Just a heads up!

BB
    07-22-11 10:16 PM
    Hondateg,
    Switching from a smartphone to a "dumbphone" after July 7 is no longer an option. Verizon changed their data plan so to limit usage of data. Anyone with a phone before this date has an unlimited plan of $29.99. After July 7 $29.99 gets you 2gb of data usage.
    Anyone with a data plan before July 7 has been grandfathered in and will continue to pay the same rate. If you switch to a dumbphone and then back to a smartphone you will be subject to new data rates.
    Just a heads up!

BB
    07-22-11 10:17 PM
    Hondateg,
    Just a heads up!

BB
    There is always SPRINT ....they still have unlimited plans.
    07-22-11 10:24 PM
    I just bought a 9650 on Ebay. Activated it today and put OS 6 on it. I'm switching from a Samsung Fascinate.

I need a phone that gets good battery life. I've been an Android user for years, but the phones get awful, awful battery life.

I love the 9650. It's not the fastest phone, but it gets the job done. Call quality is good, and I love BBM.
    07-22-11 10:25 PM
    I find the 9650 and all Blackberry phones to be VERY GOOD communication devices with good battery life.....without all the bells and whistles thats on the market. Its a SOLID phone that does what it says without all the apps to help it function.
    07-22-11 10:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD